The MT-07 Forum

New to me Yamaha FZ1

riding4fun

Well I really like the FZ07 but being an older rider with lots of experience I decided to go bigger so I wouldn't have to want to upgrade in the future. So I purchased yesterday a 2002 Yamaha FZ1. I bought it from the original owner who is maybe 55 with 12056 original miles on it. The bike is super clean and all stock except for the seat which he had his brother take off the cover and reshape the seat to make it more flat. I guess the stock seat angled forward which pushed you into the tank. Then he had it recovered. It has new Metzler M3 tires on it and it runs awesome. I just went and transferred the title and what sucks is that even though the tabs were good until July 2016 in Washington you HAVE to buy new plates and tabs when you transfer the title. He wrote down that I paid 2700 so it cost 327.00 total. Then even though in Washington motorcycle insurance is not mandatory I did go to progressive and purchased full coverage insurance. One bonus of being old (ha ha) is that it was only 211 per year. YA!!  Here are some pics. Oh and I hope you guys let me hang out just because this is a pretty laid back site and cool people on here. AND ITS KINDA NAKED  LOL!!!
20160221_110931_zps568qvqnh.jpg

Did you have an FZ07? If so how different are the characteristics?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

No I didn't but did all the research, sat on one at the dealership, watched a bunch of vids and joined this forum. Money is tight and I was going to wait for the used ones to pop up after the first of the year but I found this bike and just couldn't pass it by.

I've owned a couple 1st Gen FZ1's. KILLER top end and more low/mid range power then most 4 cylinders. Add a Holeshot jet kit and advancer and just try to keep your license. They are a great bike. You probably won't want a FZ07 after you get used to the FZ1 power.

Iam sure its close to my last bike as far as power. 2002 Kawasaki zrx 1200 in green. Awesome bike but I think the fz1 is a bit more sporty and is lighter. My zrx put down 141 to the tire on the dyno and it was a nice comfortable bike. I am hoping to feel the same about the FZ1.

Congratulations on your purchase. One of the riders here at the beach owns one and just absolutely loves it. He might do a round headlight euro conversion in the near future, but enjoys the windscreen. Lol.

OMG I went on my first well short ride and this bike is amazing. It is by far the best motorcycle I have ever owned and I have had 9 bikes now 10 counting this one. Super comfortable, very fast, very smooth, handles very well and just plain kicks ass. IMO for 4000 grand it was a steal. It runs like a brand new bike with absolutely no hiccups from the carbs. I love it.

Ok so I just ordered my first mods for the bike.
I ordered a new 15 tooth front sprocket (stock is 16) and a 45 tooth rear sprocket (stock is 44) That way I don't have to purchase a new chain. I also purchased front and rear stainless brake lines and a speedo healer to calibrate the speedo after the sprocket change. And I ordered a zero gravity double bubble smoke windscreen.
Next mod will be to the suspension but that will have to wait a bit as it gets expensive but well worth it.

I've always liked those bikes and it's a Yamaha so who cares it's not an FZ-07? Be careful how you mod your bike, though - the "Naked Police" are always lurking in the shadows, watching.

[attachment id=944" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

• Global Moderator

@riding4fun, that looks like a nice bike and a great price. Where in Washington are you?

Oh man I just went on my first ride through the twisties and damn that was fun. It all came back pretty quick. I had a blast. I cant wait until the parts start showing up.

You got a 13 year old bike you love with low mileage (12056) and it's in the Yamaha family! I think that's great. That being said, I always feel sad when people get bikes and don't ride them. The previous owner averaged a little under 1000 miles a year. Yeah yeah I know people have their reasons for not riding much but it just bothers me a little. It's even worse when they spend tons of money on mods and the bike just sits there looking pretty. I love riding and it's hard to imagine riding so little. Anyway this worked out well for you. Please take your FZ1 out for lots of exercise :).

You got a 13 year old bike you love with low mileage (12056) and it's in the Yamaha family! I think that's great. That being said, I always feel sad when people get bikes and don't ride them. The previous owner averaged a little under 1000 miles a year. Yeah yeah I know people have their reasons for not riding much but it just bothers me a little. It's even worse when they spend tons of money on mods and the bike just sits there looking pretty. I love riding and it's hard to imagine riding so little. Anyway this worked out well for you. Please take your FZ1 out for lots of exercise :).
Oh I agree completely. One reason was it was not his only bike. He had three others that he rode more I guess or just split up riding them all. I will put at least 3000-4000 miles a year on a bike. I don't ride to work just because I am in construction and need my tools but on the rare occasion that I am at a job for a while and can leave my tools there then the bike will be ridden.  I will do track days on it also :)   That is some of the most fun being able to go as fast as you are comfortable with and not have to worry about the damn Cages.  

I'm kind of lucky with my work situation. I've got 40 hours squeezed into 3 days. I can take my bike to work and on my days off my husband is at work and my 17 yo is doing his own thing so I've got time for my hobbies. I do some hiking too and recently bought a kayak. I got the bike 5 months ago and have nearly 10,000 miles on it. My husband though has barely ridden this year. Makes me a little sad.

I'm kind of lucky with my work situation. I've got 40 hours squeezed into 3 days. I can take my bike to work and on my days off my husband is at work and my 17 yo is doing his own thing so I've got time for my hobbies. I do some hiking too and recently bought a kayak. I got the bike 5 months ago and have nearly 10,000 miles on it. My husband though has barely ridden this year. Makes me a little sad.
Wow that's awesome that you have that much time for your hobbies. I wish my wife had more time to herself just because it helps her relax. Being older parents with younger kids is a full time job. My oldest is 10 and my youngest is 5. Wow they have a ton of energy. I am so happy to be on a bike again. It allows me time away and its nice just being by myself in my helmet and riding not thinking about all the responsibilities I have. If I could ride to work everyday I would. I just wish I could drink coffee and ride lol. 

I wouldn't do it with piping hot coffee, and you might get some baleful eyes from your drink retailer, but that's what 60oz Camelbaks are for. Isn't one of the required mods of FZ1 ownership a coffee cup holder on gimbals? Put a decent straw on it and you can drink when you're stopped (don't recommend trying it in motion).

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Went on a 80 mile ride in the twisties all by myself. I like to ride alone with a new bike just so I don't get crazy and try to out ride anyone. Practice by your self is key then when comfortable join a group. Just my .02 on that. Anyway I installed a new double bubble windscreen and it not only makes the bike look better it works like a charm. Had a good ride.

• 5 months later...

It runs very well. Lots of power and handling is improved with traxion dynamic springs in the forks and a 2013 BMW S1000RR rear shock.

• 1 month later...

Been doing lots of work on the FZ1. I installed a new clutch, changed the oil, filter. Installed the Ivan Jet kit (runs awesome).
I ordered AK-20 kit and a Penske 8983 rear shock. I think it should handle just about as well as it can.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I sat on a silver 05 model at a dealership today. Super comfy.

SigSide.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
riding4fun

Couple of pics of my track day. Not bad for an old guy on an old bike. lol This is not with the AK20 and Penske shock. This is traxxion 1.0 Omni springs and buffers with 7wt fork oil. The rear is a 2013 BMW1000rr stock shock. It handles quite well set up like this. I cant wait to feel the difference with the AK-20 and Penske shock. I have them in the garage right now. Just waiting on fork seals and copper crush washers and they will go in.
20160509_133809-3_zpstfpchjkt.jpg
20160509_133416-1_zpsczboxbjm.jpg

Archived