The MT-07 Forum

Concerning noise

fooschnickens

So I was coming back to work from lunch today, and while sitting at a light, the RPMs sputtered a tiny bit and the bike suddenly started making a really loud tapping noise almost like it was running dry. For those familiar with mechanics is sounded almost exactly like a bunch of gunky hydraulic lifters that were tapping. The noise followed the RPMs exactly when I blipped the throttle and stayed the same volume. I was about to pull off the road and into a parking lot when the noise suddenly stopped. I rode the bike the rest of the way back to my office and didn't have the sound come up again. No warning lights came on and the temperature remained steady.

I checked everything I could when I got off the bike at work: exhaust bolts, oil and coolant levels (had a coworker tip the bike up for me), and any other exposed bolt that I could see and get a finger on. I didn't find anything loose, but I did see that the water pump is weeping a bit, so I'll probably have it taken to the dealer to have them replace that lower seal.

I'll mention the noise when I take it in to see if they have any ideas, but for now I'll keep an ear out for it to happen again.

• Global Moderator

if you had an audio clip it would definitely help
but from what you describe timing chain rattle or possibly a restricted oil passage?

From what little ive read in the parts manual valves are directly operated by the camshafts.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Would if I could, dunno if I'll be able to catch a clip of it happening, had to RMA my gopro and I'm waiting on the new one to get here.

My only guess at this point is that it's something to do with the oiling. The sound only lasted about 20 seconds. I may do an oil change on it just cuz to see if there's anything in it. First one came out pretty clean for a new motor.

If the water pump is leaking maybe a air lock?
cam chain self adjusting but unlikely,
only other thing I can think off is the engine
as a automatic valve lifter and that may have
been playing up but I have worked on hundreds
of engines with like systems and never seen
one fail to work as intended.
I would check the water level not just in the
expansion tank but also in the rad it's self.
Could be a sticking valve but cant remember
when I last came across one of those though
I have seen it a good few time years ago, it's
usually a high mileage or been standing a long
time thing, must admit it sounds more like a sticking
valve than any of the others.

• Premium Member

I was thinking sticking valve also by the description. Mine has made different noises at different time and some time I think It all in my head. Let us know what you find out.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Fluid levels were fine, I checked coolant when the bike was warm and after it sat overnight. Calling the dealer today to see what they say.

Archived