The MT-07 Forum

MT versus FZ

hobbs

• Premium Member

So.. if MT is an acronym for Master of Torque, what the heck is FZ supposed to be?

Fuzzy Zebra?
Fight Zerg? (Yamaha and Star Command work together on space bikes.)
Full Zen?
Frank Zappa?
Fun Zone?

iono, but I am curious...

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

Nobody knows. I think there is a discussion somewhere on the forum. It has probably something to do with the history Yamaha has in North America. Makes no sense to me. The should have called it a MT-07.

Guest montana07

I've heard speculation that it's because "MT" in English, or at least in NA, is short for mountain. I sort of get it, marketing teams will go into pretty extreme detail, but kind of crazy at the same time. Personally, I'm going to dub it Future Zone-07

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

MT sounds like empty to me. I think FZ sounds cool. One bike I considered buying was the Suzuki SV650. The newer ones are called "Gladius". The name really put me off. Even as a chick, I couldn't see myself riding a gladius.

Illegitimi non carborundum

MT sounds like empty to me. I think FZ sounds cool. One bike I considered buying was the Suzuki SV650. The newer ones are called "Gladius". The name really put me off. Even as a chick, I couldn't see myself riding a gladius.
Plus the FZ just looks so much better than the Gladius! Before I went and saw one in person, I was considering the Suzuki too. 
I think we made the right choice!  8-)

• Global Moderator

I looked at the Gladius briefly. I could not bring myself to own a bike with a name like that. I thought it sounded girlie. I guess I was wrong about that. If guys AND girls do not like it I wonder who there target audience is?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
I looked at the Gladius briefly. I could not bring myself to own a bike with a name like that. I thought it sounded girlie. I guess I was wrong about that. If guys AND girls do not like it I wonder who there target audience is?
Clearly, someone in the marketing department made a mistake. <Grin>

Illegitimi non carborundum

I believe it has something associated with music. "FZ" means for piano, "It's an abbreviation for forzando or forzato, meaning to play a note or chord with specific emphasis..."

• Global Moderator
Clearly, someone in the marketing department made a mistake. <Grin>
"Gladius" (Latin: glădĭus) is a Latin word for sword and is used to represent the primary sword of Ancient Roman foot soldiers. I think the name Gladiator is derived from the word too. 
They had a Katana before, so I guess they were thinking, "lets use another sword name"
I have to agree that Gladius sounds silly. It reminds me of a Gladiolus, a pretty flower, not something I would like to brag about. 

• Global Moderator

I think FZ is short for Fazer, a model name they used in the past.
Bit of a disappointment, I would have liked it to be short for something awesome in Japanese, not Fazer.

But Japanese are known for coming up with silly names. Just take a look at their domestic car names, some of them are hilarious.

• Global Moderator

Mod me for big off topic but here are a few funny Japenese car names (and I'm not making this up):

Honda Life Dunk
Nissan Homy Super Long
Suzuki Every Joypop Turbo
Daihatsu Scat
Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard
Mitsubishi Mini Active Urban Sandal
Mazda Bongo
Mazda Scrum Wagon
Isuzu P'up
Isuzu GIGA 20 Light Dump
Mazda Bongo Friendee
Toyota Deliboy
Mitsubishi Lettuce
Mazda Carol Me Lady
Mazda Titan Dump
Daihatsu Naked

So I guess FZ or even Fazer is not that bad after all  :D

• Premium Member

I want a Mysterious Utility Wizard bahahhaaha.

Everything went braap.

That sounds like a pedo van
C R E E P Y !!!

Worse car name manufacturing fail was the Chevy Nova in spanish speaking countries.

Plus the FZ just looks so much better than the Gladius! Before I went and saw one in person, I was considering the Suzuki too. 
I think we made the right choice!  8-)
In 2009, i tested the Gladius. Loved the exhaust sound. Throathier than my previous SV. But, i find that the pegs were too high and i had not enough room. And, at that time, a fairing was an obligatory affair. And i didn't like the look of the Gladius. 
I don't really understand why the 07 (and the 09) is called FZ. Previous FZ were faired bikes. The MT name fits way better imho.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Global Moderator

I am not a fan of the transformers logo thingy. Having a MT-07 in Canada would be cool though. It would confuse people that think they know Yamahas.

• Global Moderator

You're right, the transformer thingy doesn't do it for me either but I already have one on my tail tidy now, so I might as well go for 'the full monty' :)

• Global Moderator

Is that another pant less riding reference, Guru? I sure hope you win that contest! Please vote, people.

Archived