The MT-07 Forum

Should I bend more or get a windscreen? Edited by Cruzin

canadianbacon

So I am new to naked bikes, had 3 cruisers previous to this baby, one without a windshield.
I never felt the wind as bad as on this Yammy, at 80 mph (130km/h) is simply hell, I have to hold onto the handlebars for my dear life. There is no fun whatsoever, and I dont see 80 mph as being that drastic of a speed. 
I was thinking about getting the Puig Touring windshield, but besides that, am I too much of a p&^ssy  and this is the way you all guys ride? Like a kite in a storm? 
- 5'9", 185lb, leather jacket, full face Bell Vortex.
My communing is mostly on the highway .

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop being a pu$$y, grip the tank with your knees, lean forward and ride.

But seriously... it's a naked. Minus putting a windscreen on, you'll get used to it eventually. Also your helmet can play a role, aerodynamically.

• Premium Member

I guess I am just use to it. 200lb 6'2" I simply lean over a bit and its all good. I will end up getting a screen at some point but, I don't have a problem at that speed. That being said, it is a drastic difference when traveling into the wind. Ive been on several long freeway trips when the average speed was at least 80 and leaning over, sliding back on the seat a bit is how I deal with it. It doesn't help if you have a bunch baggy clothing though. It really is not that big a problem for me. I guess I just take it as part of having a naked bike.

• Premium Member
Stop being a pu$$y, grip the tank with your knees, lean forward and ride. 
But seriously... it's a naked. Minus putting a windscreen on, you'll get used to it eventually. Also your helmet can play a role, aerodynamically.
+1

I regularly cruise at 80+, and when riding to my buddies the next town over I don't do anything under 95. I'm 5'11' and 160 pounds. You'll eventually get used to it. Check the reviews on the windscreen, I remember reading one where a used had said it actually made it worse and directed everything right at his chest. I know it was one of the puigs, don't remember which model it was tho.

I have a Frabi windscreen and a GPR damper. The windscreen did nothing against the cross wind blows on high way especially at 80mph+. The damper on the other hand, made the bike so stable that I dont even feel the wind blows now. Still have to tuck at high speed though, as the wind will get my neck tired.

I was commuting 200km/ day in the summer. No windscreen at all, just found the perfect angle that allowed the wind to support my chest and not buffet my helmet too much.

Ha, well, this is going to suck, LOL.
Tucking in means I would have to ride like a on a supersport, which i didn't want to get in the first place, due to the riding position.
I will probably have to read a bit more about a better windshield, it has to take some wind off of your chest.
I don't see myself tucked in for a 3 hour ride :/

• Premium Member

Honestly, just experiment with an open mind in regards to body positioning and such. To me, 80 is my upper limit for comfort. 70 to 75 is much more comfortable. 60 below is lovely.

Create a stable platform by using your legs to grip. I personally lock my ankles against the plate above the pegs and that helps create stability. If all else fails try a windscreen.

Does your jacket fit loose? That'll add to the sail effect, but I'm sure you knew that.

Everything went braap.

I am pretty much the same height as you 5'10 170 lbs, if you sit all the way back on the seat while doing the highway riding. Your back would be straight and head would automatically bend in a way to get less wind. But as everyone else said you are going to get used to of it, give it some time.
On a side note because of the wind your neck might start hurting ... don't worry about that either ... as my doc says its only gonna get worse before it gets better

• Premium Member

I took off my windscreen..was worse by pushing all air at my neck...it's a naked bike...I sit all the way back and grip tank with knees...I also point my toes inward to naturally lock my knees into the tank...after a week I got so used to I can ride all day on the freeways...the only time I lay on the tank like a crotch rocket is when I hit 100+ at the drag strip... my position at all times is upright like a dirt biker...I'm 6' 170 pounds suited up... helmets play a big role in long term comfort...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Ha, well, this is going to suck, LOL. Tucking in means I would have to ride like a on a supersport, which i didn't want to get in the first place, due to the riding position.
I will probably have to read a bit more about a better windshield, it has to take some wind off of your chest.
I don't see myself tucked in for a 3 hour ride :/
Don't give up yet. Just put a small screen and it could make a big difference. It's very subjective. I'm 5'-11" and have a V-Stream Sport screen. My usual speed on highways is 120 km/h (75 mph).

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) my very first bike was a naked, so in my world, all that wind is compeltely normal!!!

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

I went through the same thing, used to get a sore neck. I had a Bell qualifier helmet. I upgraded to a Shoei GT air helmet and it made a huge difference, besides a much better fit the Shoei is drastically more aerodynamic which makes riding at high speed no problem. It was costly but worth it if you ride at higher speeds.

• Premium Member

I am a somewhat dissenting voice here. But then I am almost 60 yo, so my point of view differs.

I got the FZ-07 because of how nimble and light it is. I knew that the FZ-07 was a naked bike but driving a 70 mph the wind was so strong for me (probably due to my not very skinny figure, more like wide as a barn...) that I was afraid I would let go of the handlebars and fly off the back.

I did purchase a fairly tall windscreen (Madstad Engineering), not one of those small sport screens, and it allowed me to enjoy the bike much more.

With a careful adjustment of the angle of the windscreen, I have eliminated any buffeting and I can drive a 80 mph with no effort.
Again, that works for me.
Marco

I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)

I would definitely get a windscreen. There are many out there. Pick the one that suits you and your style. I have been recently looking to get the Givi or Clear-screen Puig windscreen. Riding season is nearly over. So, I might wait for boxing day sale or something to order.

Im a big gal. 5"8 230 or so maybe more or less close to it~!~ But I feel the wind but not as bad as I was on my cbr250r. I grip it, lean in and pray!

• Premium Member
I have a Frabi windscreen and a GPR damper. The windscreen did nothing against the cross wind blows on high way especially at 80mph+. The damper on the other hand, made the bike so stable that I dont even feel the wind blows now. Still have to tuck at high speed though, as the wind will get my neck tired.
Ouch 500 ducks for that DAMper! 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

cool replies.
No, the jacket is very tight, I am well aware of the sail looking ones, LOL, they look funny :)
I will look into getting a windshield, I dont care as much about the looks, this is just a perception, I care more about comfort and enjoying my ride.
Unfortunately for me, I have to take a highway no matter where I go to get out of the city; the speeds are into 70-80mph regularly.
The season is not over, I ride my cruisers till first snow. Who cares if it's cold, gear up and warm up them tires a bit.

I found the Puig touring screen helped me tremendously at any speed over 65mph, but I'm only 5'6", of generally small stature, and have an aerodynamic race helmet, so I don't know if I'm just in a good position for it naturally. If you really want to go all out on a windscreen though, the afore mentioned madstad would probably cover you: http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.13002/.f

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

There are guys that would say you're a big pu$$ for wearing a helmet or gloves or boots or armored jackets/pants as well as using a windscreen which, if true, would make about 100% of us here pu$$ies and we all can't be pu$$ies. I think people make sh*t up to make themselves appear tougher than the rest. Maybe they're overcompensating for having something smaller than the rest???

Beemer

Archived