The MT-07 Forum

Should I bend more or get a windscreen? Edited by Cruzin

canadianbacon

• Premium Member
So I am new to naked bikes, had 3 cruisers previous to this baby, one without a windshield. I never felt the wind as bad as on this Yammy, at 80 mph (130km/h) is simply hell, I have to hold onto the handlebars for my dear life. There is no fun whatsoever, and I dont see 80 mph as being that drastic of a speed. 
I was thinking about getting the Puig Touring windshield, but besides that, am I too much of a p&^ssy  and this is the way you all guys ride? Like a kite in a storm? 
- 5'9", 185lb, leather jacket, full face Bell Vortex.
My communing is mostly on the highway .
I got used to the naked thing when I first started riding, and I wasn't shy about tucking low when I got to a certain speed, which was kinda fun. But like you, I thought it was not necessary to get abused. I'm not always pleasure cruising, I have a long commute and sometimes I am not in the mood for the beating. So I got a VStream windscreen (there is a review by me on this site  http://fz07.org/thread/3381/review-vstream-sport-touring-windscreen ) and I never really looked back. Now I find myself accidently going VERY fast without realizing it and it's pretty cool. Of course there is more air on my head now because that is where the lower air was pushed (mostly OVER my head, but still more than naked). You could either get a higher screen or a screen extension (Like the one GIVI makes) which I may try for longer rides, but honestly I feel no need to improve other than curiosity, because I am very pleased with my purchase. 
I originally thought I might remove the screen for like mountain rides n stuff to have that naked feel, but honestly I hardly notice the screen, and it's just a pure pleasure to have less buffeting on my chest when I commute which is almost always at a high rate of speed.

Databyter

Databyter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just came back from a 50+ miles ride,14 mph wind with  gusts over 20 mph and enjoyed every second of the ride :D  .I even went on the highway with speeds up to 90 mph and bike felt planted enough to feel secure(I rarely take her on the highway).I love this bike even more since I got my new Scorpion helmet that made a big difference on wind protection compared to my old Shoei.I can only say that probably a screen would only make her even better but for now I will keep her screenless :D . 

Im gonna change the title to this thread. It's a rule I don't usually like to break, changing the title's to peoples threads.

But in this case, I found a thread on another motorcycle forum making fun of this very thread. Making fun of us. I won't name the forum, it's not one of mine, but the general consensus of the three page and growing thread is that the op should sell his bike and get a Miata, and that we are a bunch of $%^(&*@'s

So yeah, I'm changing the title of this thread.

Guys, please remember this is a motorcycle forum, and while I don't usually moderate like a Nazi, I'd like to remind everyone that yes, motorcycles do go thru wind and air. And people who ride motorcycles are supposed to be just a little bit tough.

I'm drawing a line, not gonna reply to any pissed off comments about this act, and please don't make me do this again.

-Cruizin

• Premium Member
Im gonna change the title to this thread. It's a rule I don't usually like to break, changing the title's to peoples threads.  
But in this case, I found a thread on another motorcycle forum making fun of this very thread. Making fun of us. I won't name the forum, it's not one of mine, but the general consensus of the three page and growing thread is that the op should sell his bike and get a Miata, and that we are a bunch of $%^(&*@'s

So yeah, I'm changing the title of this thread.

Guys, please remember this is a motorcycle forum, and while I don't usually moderate like a Nazi, I'd like to remind everyone that yes, motorcycles do go thru wind and air. And people who ride motorcycles are supposed to be just a little bit tough.

I'm drawing a line, not gonna reply to any pissed off comments about this act, and please don't make me do this again.

-Cruizin

Awesome! A fan club!

Aww, @admin now you got me all curious. Give us a hint on which forum maybe? Hee hee.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

I think the people in the other forum liked @valtopps original post a little too much and got scared ;) so they tried to make fun of it ...
Methinks they laugh a little too hard.

I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)

• Premium Member

I have a Madstad 16 inch screen and I have no problem riding at 80mph, although I  only do that speed when passing. I also have their smaller fly screen, and I can feel the wind on my chest much more, but I still don't mind it. I use the small screen in hotter weather, and keep my mesh jacket zipper open a little with a wet t-shirt or scarf, and it cools me better than with the larger screen.

Also, can someone message me the original name of this thread?

most guys want you to ride like this. 
azzz.jpg

but i have a windscreen that helps a lot.
IMG_9244.jpg

That was an ambiguously gy comment.  ;)

Beemer

• Premium Member

10/10 would recommend a windscreen for you. Here is the option I went with. The faster you go the better they work. Dart Manta

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't understand why riding motorcycles is some macho thing where you must defy the laws of physics. You understand that if in the future motorcycles average 150mph you would probably go deaf without some seriously advanced windshields :)

I use a madstad 22" (might ask them for even bigger one). I can't imagine riding 50mph+ without it.

Wife and I discussed windscreens for ours. At highway speeds(60mph) its not that bad. Sustained speeds of 70 mph and more take a toll. My wife is waiting surgery for tunnel carpel and she rarely complains.

Here in the land of over-zealous speed restrictions a screen is just something to clean up, in my opinion at least, the rather unfinished look of the headlight/top triple clamp area. I'm going with the Dart Manta, and who knows, maybe it will help a little with wind deflection.

My main issue with the bike is not the wind blast as it is a naked, but the absolutely sh!te rear shock. Anything over 100 kph and bumps take on a whole new meaning. I tried winding up the preload but now she just fires me even harder out of the seat. Yamaha Australia, are you listening? Due to our terrible roads, the ADR version needs a shock with at least a modicum of rebound damping...

Sorry guys 'n' gals, got off topic there for a moment.

• 2 weeks later...
lildevilwoman

I recently took off my windscreen and haven't notice really...well..any difference. I actually like it better without it.

Archived