The MT-07 Forum

Should I bend more or get a windscreen? Edited by Cruzin

canadianbacon

I almost spat out my drink when I saw that image... lol

I will have to say that you can count me out of the "most guys want you to ride like this".
Thanks.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get another bike.

A naked will never excel in the comfort realm at freeway speeds. Period.

Unless you put a barn door on the front of the bike or you're the size of a mouse height wise, you're always going to be buffeted.

Riding position, fairings and the weight of the bike itself contribute greatly towards reducing fatigue.

Im the same boat as the op. I love this bike but canr stand the wind! I have a 20" madstad and am changing it for a 22". I would have them make an even bigger one if the 22 doesnt solve my problem :) I don't care how it looks as long as it takes the wind off my chest and helmet :)

most guys want you to ride like this. 
azzz.jpg

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

There are guys that would say you're a big pu$$ for wearing a helmet or gloves or boots or armored jackets/pants as well as using a windscreen which, if true, would make about 100% of us here pu$$ies and we all can't be pu$$ies. I think people make sh*t up to make themselves appear tougher than the rest. Maybe they're overcompensating for having something smaller than the rest???
Every time I ride my bike I wear full gear,don't really care if people go ride in their shorts and t shirts not my skin on the line.When you guys went and got your FZ07 did you realize that you were buying  a Naked Bike?or did you expect to be wind proof despite the look.If that makes more comfortable traveling more then 80 mph then get a wind screen,honestly I don't even know of a place in this country where it is even legal to go over 80 mph.Of course I got my bike to 120 mph ones,that was the first and only time not recommended on this type of bike unless you're on a track.I hope that comment wasn't pointing to me personally,because You don't know me,last just leave it at that.

Why would you take that personal? I thought I was being obvious how I was pointing out how people should be careful about name calling because they can be judged as well. Read everyone's posts again and you will see what I was referring to but I will say this.  Are you aware that people may want to put a windscreen on their bike for 'personal' health reasons? You and other naked nay sayer's don't know all the reasons people may choose to use a windscreen. Besides, today's naked's are yesterday's standard's and people weren't criticized nearly as much for putting a windscreen on a standard. This "naked" mindset is overboard.

Beemer

I must misunderstood your post then  you wrote ::)   " I think people make sh*t up to make themselves appear tougher than the rest. Maybe they're overcompensating for having something smaller than the rest??? My bad.How is for "health reason" please collaborate.

I must misunderstood your post then  you wrote ::)   " I think people make sh*t up to make themselves appear tougher than the rest. Maybe they're overcompensating for having something smaller than the rest??? My bad.How is for "health reason" please collaborate. 

:):)
Just kidding, guys!
I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)
Are you sitting on that Mule(Fz07/touring bike)eating popcorn  :D ,just kidding.

I can't speak for everyone, just myself but I'm positive there are people that have arthritis and can't grip as well or maybe it hurts them to grip too hard in a stiff wind or maybe they have a condition that hurts their arms or backs when they have to double over and "lean into it" or grip the tank with their knees. I remember I had hurt my back & neck at work once and had to wear a neck brace. A supervisor saw me doing something that he thought I shouldn't be able to do and took me up to the personnel office to get me fired for faking an injury. I asked my supervisor in front of the personnel manager if he was a doctor and if my x-rays were faked as well. He was advised to drop it and to apologize for his actions which he did. My point is some people are too quick to draw conclusions and pass judgement.

[attachment id=941" thumbnail="1]

proper ^

Beemer

• Premium Member
Are you sitting on that Mule(Fz07/touring bike)eating popcorn  :D ,just kidding.
Naahh,I was just enjoying the show :) . I am too much like the guy below to ride without a windshield. Popcorn gets into my teeth.
[attachment id=942" thumbnail="1]

I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)

I'm 5'8' ... 185 ... the wind can be a biyatch, especially a headwind. Can't say I enjoy it but it is what it is, even with my ermax windscreen. My mesh jacket will flap at the shoulders when the wind is hitting me head on. When I ride with my leather jacket, the ride is much smoother, more aerodynamic I suppose. Most of my pleasure riding is under 60 mph on the back roads. It's only when going 65 + where the wind is a big factor.

I traded a 2009 suzuki DL 650 for the 07,so I know what it feels to have a windscreen.I got Carpal Tunnel on my right hand and it gets pretty numb when taking long rides,I have been using cramp buster and that helps a lot.But when it comes to wind screen, it's not because looks out of place or makes people look wimpy for having one I just like the cooling effect and most of the times I ride back roads and never go over 70.I knew before I purchased the bike what I was getting and I am pretty happy so far.

I got lucky, my bike was used with ~420 miles on it and the previous owner had already installed an Ermax screen. I haven't been curious enough to take it off and see what it feels like without it, but I am certain it makes a noticeable difference.

060254121_2.jpg

pineappleunderthesea

I had a Honda Shadow Spirit before this bike, and initially rode it with the windscreen (came with it).  Then one day I decided that I wanted to be one with the wind, so I took off the screen.  Without the screen, the front of the Honda is as naked as my FZ, and the windblast at 65 mph was so disconcerting that I almost exited the highway to take slow back roads back home.  When I got to my destination my hands were sore from the death grip I had on the bars.

But eventually I got used to it, neck muscles bulked up a bit, my grip relaxed as I became more comfortable, and got a tip to lower my jaw when looking back to change lanes so that the helmet is tighter on my head when the wind hits it from the side.  In fact, on the rare occasions I did put the screen back on, it was a distraction not to have the wind on me, it's hard to explain.  The bottom line is that I rode that bike for 3 years without a screen.

So when I hopped on the FZ and took it to 75 mph, no problem.  I couldn't understand the windblast comments at first, but if you are coming from a bike that had wind protection, then yes, it takes a while to get used to it.  But you can get used to it is my point, and actually enjoy it.

When you opened your mouth to 'tighten' the helmet, did you let out a Rebel Yell? It's the only proper way to let those drivers know you're serious about changing lanes. ;-)

I race my SV650 naked or with a Buell M2 flyscreen (primarily as a number plate) and don't mind the wind. I put a Laminar Lip on my ZR7s to tidy up the air stream. Over on the DL650/FJ09 forums you get all kinds too - guys who want the wind at the chin, some who want to hide behind a car windshield so there is a cocoon of quiet air (but murderous turbulence for the passenger), and those who like it at chest height, etc.

When I first started riding (CB750) I felt like a sail. The Buell screen actually helped. Lower bars for a bit more lean helped. And I just got used to it. Though 400 mile days still took the shoulders to task.

@phyciocc are you really a prof or are you dusting off that ancient meme?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

You must've missed it. He's not a professor, he's a [attachment id=951" thumbnail="1]

I bet if you scratch his head you'll have a friend for life.

Beemer

I am pretty sure He is a professor and that's his bike (what I called a Mule in the previous post)http://fz07.org/post/16359  :) ,To each their own.Anybody got a screen I can borrow?I kind like the clear Earmax for some reason,could probably use it since temperature are starting to cool down,not being sarcastic that's why I hate typing on forums and my Inclish is sometimes bad according to my kids :D .Be safe everyone.

most guys want you to ride like this. 

but i have a windscreen that helps a lot.

I am about to get a windscreen. How is the black one in your picture working for you?  Sometimes I feel like i am about to get off the seat if I go 5 mph faster...

Probably it will be the worst when the weather will turn colder. It still is fine for now. 

its a powerbronze windscreen 270mm i bought it on ebay last year for about $109. i think it helps cut the wind and bugs off hitting my chest. they do have a couple of bigger screens the 330mm and there touring that's 380mm.

your sure you don't want to ride like this, its cheaper???

azzz.jpg

Archived