The MT-07 Forum

Help Needed!!

admckayjr

Hello. I need some help. I recently purchased an FZ-07 and love it. Before I bought it my wife said she would never ride, but now she is riding and enjoying it. I am 6-01 and 240lbs and my wife is about 145lbs. According to the manual we are at the max weight limit before we even add our Givi saddle bags and top case. We mostly ride in the mountains… I am new to street bikes (have experience with dirt bikes), and am worried about safety. I need your opinions. Is it safe to ride this bike or do I need to get a bigger bike. I appreciate any and all serious advice.

The manufacturer already tested it's limits. Why 2nd guess and become a mess? Of course it can probably carry a little more without a problem, those are probably "safe numbers" they threw out there but you still don't know where the danger line is. Is it 20 lbs. over the set limit, 30 lbs., 30.25? I won't suggest you play guinea pig to find out. Sorry to say but I think a bigger bike is in order.

Beemer

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome! Your wife has gone from saying she would never ride to riding and enjoying it. My suggestion is that she get a license and her own bike. She would enjoy that even more! An overloaded bike is never good.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

I'm 240 and had a rider one time and that will be the last time. I took off the foot pegs just for that reason. X2 get a bigger bike made for 2.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

I agree, get a bigger bike, FJ-09 possibly? besides being able to carry the weight, im sure it would be a more comfortable ride for both of you

Welcome! Your wife has gone from saying she would never ride to riding and enjoying it. My suggestion is that she get a license and her own bike. She would enjoy that even more! An overloaded bike is never good.
That's a great idea! I nominate you for the ITD Award!

Beemer

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Really! What is this? It better be good!  O_o

Illegitimi non carborundum

Really! What is this? It better be good!  O_o
lol! That face is fitting, you sound worried. I'm serious though and mean you no harm. It means ... what does it mean? Crap, I forgot what it means! Ha! It means "Idea of The Day". I thought it was a good idea anyway, who likes having to haul 100+ lbs. around? I know I don't, you can't react and move as quickly.

Beemer

Okay... What are some recommendations for and upright sport touring style bike that can handle the weight?
I'm not saying it's the greatest sport touring bike out there but for two up or solo I've always liked the Honda ST 1100. Can maybe get yourself a good deal on a good used one with low miles. 

[attachment id=939" thumbnail="1] Ain't she purdy!

Beemer

• Premium Member

I agree, she needs her own!  Give her your 07 and you get something bigger for yourself!!!

FJ-09's max load is 398lbs so it doesn't buy you much. (Forks aren't as bad as FZ07 but that's not saying much). If it was engineered to 'standard' rules there should be a 30% margin built in before outright failure. Hit a decent sized pot hole and you run a good risk of breaking the subframe. Sorry, but it's wife or luggage but not both.

If 2-up is going to be a regular thing you're going to desperately need suspension fixes - in particular springs.

Tell her you love her by
a) asking her to help you lose 40lbs
b) buying her own bike

Unfortunately she may not be interested in being her own pilot.

A FZ-1 and Bandit 1200/1250S have a load rating of ~440lbs and are good upright sport tourers without 50lbs of gratuitous plastic (nee FJ1x00 or ST1x00). By now, most examples on the market should be nicely upgraded and farkled.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived