The MT-07 Forum

Tire Options

regaladoallan

I've been doing a little research and from what I've found, our bikes either come with a pair of Michelin PR3s or Bridgestone BT023, mine came with the BT023. Anyways, I recently got a screw in my tire which it probably has at least 85% left of the tread still on it and now looking into one to replace it. My question is, should I go with one of these two options or should I go with another one? I've looked into different tires such as the Dunlop Q3 or Pirellis but can't come to a decision. I would need one that has good grip on the road for a hot dry climate and not too much for the rain since it hardly rains here in Arizona, also one with good life. At his point I know I'm rambling on but have no idea on what to get.....

• Premium Member

This is really going to be a preference of everyone's opinion and riding stye. I just purchased a set of tires here. Why? Well because they didn't hurt the bank and I'm willing to try them out and if they work for me then great. I just got a set of tires for the price of one. If they don't work out then I'll just look for something else. The point it is, I don't feel like I paid a lot of money to try something new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-TIRE-SET-120-70ZR17-180-55ZR17-CONTINENTAL-SPORT-BIKE-MOTORCYCLE-TIRES-/380990878188?hash=item58b4d371ec&vxp=mtr

You got a screw in your tire, yeah that sucks, I just got a big ol' staple in mine but I've researched the Bridgestone's and they are a fine tire. They ARE grippy and they can last a good while. Were you happy with your Bridgestone's up until the screw incident? 

Beemer

• Premium Member

I was happy with the PR3 so I replaced my rear with the same. Got 12,000 miles out of the original. PR3's are being phased out though.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

for a sport tire-Q3,bridgestone S-20 evo, conti attacks,pirelli diablo rosso 2-i stay away from the pirellis cause they square off and wear out down to the steel belts in about 2500 miles.if you want longer wear sport touring tires are great and have good traction also-pirelli angel gt-bridgestone t-30,dunlop road max,etc.i'm not a michelin fan,but just personal preference-i don't commute and my riding is up in the sierras and local canyons so i use Q3's.more grip than our bikes will ever need,very sharp handling and decent mileage for a sport/track tire.my wife just put S-20 evos on her bike-they feel very good and have the benefit of being a multiple compound tire-so center will be harder and last longer.i might try those next.

• Premium Member

Speaking about tire options. I had just posted 4hrs ago i had ordered and was waiting for them to arrive and I just walked into my garage and there they were sitting there delivered. I live in one of those neighborhoods you can leave your garage and doors open and the ice cream truck drives around the neighborhood.

• Global Moderator
Speaking about tire options. I had just posted 4hrs ago i had ordered and was waiting for them to arrive and I just walked into my garage and there they were sitting there delivered. I live in one of those neighborhoods you can leave your garage and doors open and the ice cream truck drives around the neighborhood.
You were hoping the model came with the tires werent you there fanboy?
thats not a bad price for contis

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

My BT-023 last 13098 km (8 138 miles). Seems fair to me. I now ride Pirelli Angel GT. Love their handling. Just wondering how long they will last. If they last at least 8 000 miles, i'll never buy BT-023 again. I prefer sport-touring bike for the FZ. I don't do anymore track days since 10 years ago. 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

I would love to be able to trust thy neighbors. But unfortunately I live in Los Angeles County.

I just mounted a set of Q3's today. And by the looks of it, I made the right choice for the riding I do.

I wore through the edges on the stock PR3s in 6500 miles. The middle had heaps of life still but sadly the edges were orange peeled and bald.

I love Conti's (well, their race tires) but I wonder what the date code is on those from eBay. I kept trying to zoom in to read the label and I keep getting slapped in the back of the head. ow!

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Global Moderator
I've been doing a little research and from what I've found, our bikes either come with a pair of Michelin PR3s or Bridgestone BT023, mine came with the BT023. Anyways, I recently got a screw in my tire which it probably has at least 85% left of the tread still on it and now looking into one to replace it. My question is, should I go with one of these two options or should I go with another one? I've looked into different tires such as the Dunlop Q3 or Pirellis but can't come to a decision. I would need one that has good grip on the road for a hot dry climate and not too much for the rain since it hardly rains here in Arizona, also one with good life. At his point I know I'm rambling on but have no idea on what to get.....
Apologiea for not respoding in my earlier post as i meant to do
I also live in AZ, West valley
I replaced both of my PR3 stockers at 10k with the new Michelin Pilot Road 4s.
they seem to have excellent grip and after putting over 3k on them already are just starting to show a bit of center wear from my commuting 300miles a week on em.

I took the bike to Flag this past weekend and took the back road out to Mormon Lake, no issues with grip on the twisty bits, and even when things got a bit dusty/gravely i felt i had more control than on the PR3s in the same areas

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
I love Conti's (well, their race tires) but I wonder what the date code is on those from eBay. I kept trying to zoom in to read the label and I keep getting slapped in the back of the head. ow!
The rear was 37th week of 2013 The front was 34th week of 2014

LOL on getting slapped. Must zoom when no one is looking

This is really going to be a preference of everyone's opinion and riding stye. I just purchased a set of tires here. Why? Well because they didn't hurt the bank and I'm willing to try them out and if they work for me then great. I just got a set of tires for the price of one. If they don't work out then I'll just look for something else. The point it is, I don't feel like I paid a lot of money to try something new. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-TIRE-SET-120-70ZR17-180-55ZR17-CONTINENTAL-SPORT-BIKE-MOTORCYCLE-TIRES-/380990878188?hash=item58b4d371ec&vxp=mtr

Let me know how they work for you please. I was going to get them since they were so cheap but just didn't want to go that route on something that is so important for us when we ride. But you don't always get what you pay for so good luck!

Ok, so the date codes are well within reason. They are Conti's sport-touring rubber so will/should last a goodly amount of time. Track tires they are not, but you can run them at a track day if you want to.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
Let me know how they work for you please. I was going to get them since they were so cheap but just didn't want to go that route on something that is so important for us when we ride. But you don't always get what you pay for so good luck!

I looked at a few reviews on the tires as well. They were a little older reviews but that shouldn't change as far as the tires are concerned is this is why i pulled the trigger and got them since they were a good price. I say that if you're interested then you should get them. It will still be a little longer before i install these tires. I still have some life left on my PR3s. I won't change them out early.

Archived