The MT-07 Forum

Making a "case" for motorcycle cases

cassecou

Motorcycle cases are seen as ugly in America, but the rest of the world, who see motorcycles as just utilitarian and practical machines, love those cases. Here is the general view of those square boxes.

If you are a weekend warrior, you need to keep your bike as stream lined as possible, as the look of your love one is what matters the most.
In that situation, having a case is not an option.

If you are a commuter, you need "some" storage space. This can be accommodated by a tank bag, a back pack or a case. The first 2 do not majorly change the beauty of your bike, but the last one does. But what the last one can do for you, is give you a HUGE amount of needed space.
It can carry your helmet when going to the store, or your partner's helmet when on your way to a pick it/her up, or impulse buying of a large items.
1%20cases%205_zpsiecpieon.jpg

1%20case%202_zpslth4tus0.jpg

1%20cases%204_zpstgos2sxh.jpg

2-1_zpsiiwgedqp.jpg

R0002471-1_zpsmrrud89k.jpg

If you are the long haul traveler type, you NEED a case, and more than one for that matter, and you won't care how they look like on your bike, just set them up and cram them with your life belongings.
many%20cases_zpsrb1rf5u2.jpg

many%20cases%203_zpsjonbonee.jpg

many%20cases%205_zpsl7mnaruh.jpg

You might not be the kind of person who would like to be seen with a motorcycle case, but if you choose to get one, I guaranty, you will never go back.  ::)

I'm a true believer in the Kriega US Drypack System:

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR4HGXTbQKA]

The US20 is now and forever my man bag!  I use it even if I have to drive my car. 

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Thanks, I think I have the link corrected.

I'm going to have to do a quick review of the Kriega US20. The available ones kind of suck. They don't do justice to the fantastic solution Kriega has wrought. It seems so simple at first, but the more you check it out, the more ingenious it becomes. The more I use it, the more thrilled I am with it. Can't say that about very many devices I own.

— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

You don't consider this an alternative to cases?

I was kicking around getting a rack and case before I bought the FZ07. That is never going to happen now. If I move on to a touring bike, I may go that route, but there's really no need to with the Kriega System.

I'm not a fan of 'duffle bag' systems but maybe I'm not being fair in the characterization. I was just saying, start a new thread on the Kriega as it's own topic. Reference this one, sure, but having started this one referencing various hard cases solutions, transitioning it to a review of a Kriega seems rather off and will definitely get lost in the noise.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

You don't consider this an alternative to cases? 
I was kicking around getting a rack and case before I bought the FZ07. That is never going to happen now. If I move on to a touring bike, I may go that route, but there's really no need to with the Kriega System.
I was indeed trying to create a conversation here concerning Hard Cases in particular. I know the Kriega's have a huge following and for good reasons, and many threads are already covering those soft cases. But the discussion I am trying to cover here, is to present the advantages and the disadvantages of having a hard case.
One of the advantages was being able to leave your belongings in a hard case when park somewhere and not worry about them due to the cases lockable future.
Also, I don't want to start a soft vs hard case debate, but just see what people can come up with pros and cons of a hard case for a daily purposes.

OK I'm with you. I will make a vlog about the US20 and create a thread for it. It really deserves it!

As far as cases go, there are none in my future. Looks like I'm strictly a commuter. If I ever did get into touring, I'd need a different bike, and it would probably come with cases, or at least be an option from the manufacturer, which I'd buy.

Hard case is definitely the best choice. Great mounting points, waterproof (my Givi top case at least) and secure. But why is my case isn't on my FZ?  A top case is great looking on a dualsport, an adventure bike or a sport-touring bike. But i found that hard cases made a bike so ugly for a naked or sport bike.

Duffel bags are waterproof but the access is a pain in the ... So Kriega drybags are really not for me. I use a Wolman tailbag (35 liters). Bought it a few years ago for a dualsport bag. The cons are that the straps would eventually get dry by the sun and will wear out with time. No additional parts to buy (mounting hardware), so the bag can be use on several bikes.

So for me the choice is:
- For small capacity needs (less than 10 liters) a tailbag, whatever the style's bike.
- For few situations that need more cargo space: tailbag (with access by the top of the bag).
- For situations that need often big cargo, my choice is obvious: top case.

Milkcrate isn't an option for me. But are very useful to lub the bike's chain.

If i was in the last situation, i would buy a different bike. So my Givi stays on the closet, waiting for my next bike .. if it will be and adventure bike again.

My 2 cents.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Archived