The MT-07 Forum

Choosing the Right Exhaust

tuninghq

I'm creating this thread for forum members to share their experience with the various exhausts so others can choose what exhaust will be best for them.
Post what features are important to you and I will get back to you with my recommendation. Sound, weight, performance, price, etc.
Hopefully this thread turns into a great buyers guide for forum members.

It would be great if members shared their video clips of exhaust sound, settings and results for various exhausts, weight specs of exhaust and installation tips.

We are your FZ-07 exhaust supporting vendor! 
For anyone looking to purchase an exhaust, drop me a PM or give us a call at Dobeck Performance. 1.877.764.3337
All exhausts include free shipping within the continental US.
We will provide the best possible pricing. If you find a lower price, let us know!

We have done dyno testing on the following exhausts brands:
Akrapovic
Arrow
Two Brothers
Yoshimura 
Graves Motorsports
SC Project
Ixil
MIVV
M4

If there is another exhaust you would like to see offered, let us know.
We will look into offering it in our packages.

We also have all these exhausts in Stage 1 kits that include the exhaust of your choice and our EJK fuel solution.
If you choose a Stage 1 kit, you will have optimal settings with our EJK so you can have a great tune up right out of the box.

-TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

Weight of each exhaust:

Stock-18.2 lbs
Akrapovic Titanium- 14.7 lbs
Akrapovic Carbon - 11.6 lbs
Arrow Street Thunder aluminum w/ steel end cap - 9.5 lbs
M4 slip on exhaust - 9.7 lbs
Graves Motorsport - 7.4 lbs 
Two Brothers S1R full system - 8.2 lbs
Yoshimura Carbon - 9 lbs
Yoshimura Stainless Steel -9.6 lbs
SC Project -7.1 lbs **lightest exhaust**

If you have the weight of an exhaust not listed above, post it in this thread and I will update the list.

-TuningHQ

Wow, had no clue Akra's Tit is nearly as heavy as stock.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I realize it'll become a long first post with repeated edits, but if you (@tuninghq) could put all the relevant data in a table and/or billeted list (see for example the Fork Upgrades and Compat Swap thread for ideas) that would probably be welcome.

How's this as an example? Then again, it might be easier to maintain a real spreadsheet, host it on dropbox/website/S3 and periodically do an export into a graphic  for inclusion.

(SKU#)[td style=border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);padding:3px]600 USD[td style=border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);padding:3px]14.7[td style=border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);padding:3px][ul type=disc][*]dB killer[*]List item 2[/ul][td style=border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);padding:3px][ul type=disc][*]Link 1[*]Link 2[*]List item 3[/ul][td style=border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);padding:3px]Link to chart[td style=border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);padding:3px][ul type=disc][*] $500[*]PJ's Parts $525[*]List item 3[/ul]
(SKU)[td style=border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);padding:3px]550[td style=border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);padding:3px]11.6[td style=border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);padding:3px]
[td style=border:1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);padding:3px]

[/tbody]

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

i don't know if this has been covered,but the dyno results of euro MT07 are about 10 hp higher with the same packages- EX: akra ti-dna,pcv5-63 hp in u.s.-72 in g.b.do you know why?

I recently read somewhere that excessive air is what causes the popping from exhausts. With my EJK I've been cutting back on the accelerator fuel to reduce the popping but not having much luck. It appears that after reading about excessive air (if it's true) that I should've been increasing my accelerator fuel to match the extra amount of air from using an K&N air filter, un-snorkled. I haven't tried adding fuel yet myself. Does that sound right to you or what are your recommendations to reduce popping, whether it be popping on decel or between upshifts - if there's a difference? Thank you!

Beemer

Decel popping is typically a different condition than upshift popping.

Adjusting the accel pump is not going to have much effect on decel popping as the accel pump only comes on for a quick second anytime the throttle is opened. It helps with throttle crispness & response.

To reduce decel popping, we recommend increasing the green adjustment mode as decel pop is typically a lean condition. We also suggest having the baffle in as this will increase back pressure and reduce the amount of fresh air getting sucked back up the exhaust which will cause decel pop.

If you are getting upshift pop, this is typically a rich condition; we have found decreasing the yellow fuel zone helps eliminate this condition.

When making adjustments to the EJK, we always recommend making small incremental adjustments at a time. Don't make a huge jump in settings at once.

Let us know if there is any other questions.

-TuningHQ

Decel popping is typically a different condition than upshift popping. 
Adjusting the accel pump is not going to have much effect on decel popping as the accel pump only comes on for a quick second anytime the throttle is opened. It helps with throttle crispness & response.

To reduce decel popping, we recommend increasing the green adjustment mode as decel pop is typically a lean condition. We also suggest having the baffle in as this will increase back pressure and reduce the amount of fresh air getting sucked back up the exhaust which will cause decel pop.

If you are getting upshift pop, this is typically a rich condition; we have found decreasing the yellow fuel zone helps eliminate this condition.

When making adjustments to the EJK, we always recommend making small incremental adjustments at a time. Don't make a huge jump in settings at once.

Let us know if there is any other questions.

-TuningHQ
Mine pops when up-shifting. Usually only between 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd gear. I have done just that, decreased my yellow fuel zone as much as I could before it started acting like it wan't getting enough gas so I bumped it back up .50. Even though the popping has decreased it hasn't been totally eliminated. Is there anything else to be done to decrease the popping? Can hotter/premium spark plugs or adding more air to the fuel help even to eliminate popping if the EJK can't adjust out all the popping? Anyone? Any ideas?

Beemer

ear plugs. and a faster acting ankle.

Hey, you asked for *any* ideas. Too lean can also mean incomplete burn -> residual. Are we talking burble or bang? Does it happen on any 1-2, 2-3 or just after you've been idling for 20+ seconds? I'm guessing it only happens when you start off from a stop? In which case idle mixture isn't right so you get a build-up which gets ignited when the exhaust gets hotter (on the throttle) when resuming forward progress.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

ear plugs. and a faster acting ankle. 
Hey, you asked for *any* ideas. Too lean can also mean incomplete burn -> residual. Are we talking burble or bang? Does it happen on any 1-2, 2-3 or just after you've been idling for 20+ seconds? I'm guessing it only happens when you start off from a stop? In which case idle mixture isn't right so you get a build-up which gets ignited when the exhaust gets hotter (on the throttle) when resuming forward progress.

Ha, ha! That's funny but I've got that topped. 

[attachment id=955" thumbnail="1] Ha!

Thanks, but I already figured it was excess fuel not being ignited so again, what can be done to eliminate it? Hotter plugs like I mentioned that might burn fuel more efficiently or anything else other than ear plugs? I put a whole bag of ear plugs in the exhaust but they wouldn't stay in so that idea didn't work very well, damn-it!  >:D

Beemer

These are my EJK settings: G 4, Y 5, R 4, GB 2, YB 3.5, RB 1. If you've never heard an Akrapovic carbon exhaust before and would like to hear one on an FZ-07 here ya go! 

[video src=https://youtu.be/UEYPSlmVqYw]

Notice how nice and bright the headlight is in the daytime? That's the Cyclops CIL-LEDMD-H4 3800 Lumen H4 LED Headlight bulb.

Beemer

Not hearing the popping. I hear what sounds like a mechanical flapping at the very end of each blip but that's probably normal.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

@Beemer,

Try raising the yellow setting back up to 6.5 and then maybe go slightly richer to see if that helps. If that doesn't do anything for you, then I would double check for intake or exhaust leaks just to make sure.
Let me know what you find after that.

What intake mods have you done?

-TuningHQ

Roger that! Thanks! When I originally installed my exhaust  I did check for leaks and didn't find any but I may have missed finding a leak. I used smoke around the pipe to check for disturbances in the smoke but found none. Is there a better/easier method for doing leak checks in an exhaust system? I never felt confident with the one I tried. The only mods I've done toward engine performance are the Akra carbon pipe, the EJK and an un-snorkled K&N air filter.

Beemer

Just got back from a ride. I went back to 6.5 and as expected, it had some popping between shifts so I set it to yellow 7 and it popped less but not to my satisfaction. I then set it higher to 7.5 and only heard a few pops within an hours ride. It didn't seem to affect the gas mileage either. @ 35 mph in top gear it still shows 94.5 mpg. Ka-chow! Thank you tuninghq, that seems to have done the trick! I'm still curious about another way to check for exhaust leaks.

Beemer

• 2 months later...

FZ-07 Forum Members!

TOMORROW AND TOMORROW ONLY, 12/16/15 we will be having a sale on all Akrapovic exhausts. An additional 5% off all exhaust only and stage 1 kits.

This includes the Akrapovic Carbon and Titanium for the FZ-07 as well as all other Akrapovic exhausts.

If you have another bike and are interested in an Akrapovic exhaust, drop us a PM.

-TuningHQ

Archived