The MT-07 Forum

Intro, 3 month review, and a twisted fantasy

mrpeate

Hi.

I've been riding 3-4 months and this is my first motorcycle. I bought it privately, and the previous owner bought it new from Motorcycles of Manchester, NH. I put 200 miles on it and the battery shorted out and the tail caught fire. The previous owner neglected to inform me of an incomplete safety recall. The shop told me that they could not warranty the bike because the battery was mounted backwards.

Lesson 1.

When you buy a used vehicle, GET THE VIN. Look up the status of any pending safety recalls.

Although the bike was still under factory warranty, the work that needed to be done was not covered because of improper battery installation.

Motorcycles of Manchester snaked their way out of a lawsuit. AND they install battery tenders on all of their bikes!!! They were responsible, but Yamaha was kind enough to pay for the parts. Good guy Yamaha.

422 dollars after 200 miles. I couldn't wait to ride it again.

After my local shop guaranteed their repair and completed the safety recall, I was back on the bike. And I was confident. I have been lubing the chain every 500 miles, and said what the hell and tightened it. I bought a box ended chain brush and have been cleaning it every lube job. Right this moment the bike is at 3700 miles. And I've changed the oil myself since the break in service was completed before I purchased it.

I love this bike. It keeps me frosty and sharp and rewards me for it. I was scared getting on a motorcycle, having ridden a dirtbike once. But when I first got on and rode off my driveway, I didn't wanna stop riding. It is so balanced in every aspect and I feel that it is the greatest purchase ever. Good gas mileage, insane power to weight ratio, good brakes, excellent maneuverability, but the handling is so-so.

I believe the word to encapsule this bike is "undiscovered". I have never hit wide open throttle, I have never scraped a footpeg, I have never brought the front end up off the ground. I have far too much respect for this machine. I am most of all reluctant to lean this bike over because of the distinctive, debilitating, "sinking feeling" into a corner.

I am simply not comfortable testing the limit of this bike, and I enjoy that it gives me that feeling every time I ride it. I am trying to keep this bike as pure and tasteful as I can.

I have already installed a SW Motech centerstand. 10/10

I would like a comfier seat... Corbin gunfighter saddle.

I would also like a windscreen. Either a Fabbri touring windscreen or a Vstream tall touring screen.

My fantasy is an FZ07 with a fully adjustable suspension. I'll leave it at that.

I will post again soon, I have questions, comments and pictures when I can figure that all out!

-MrPeate

Didn't know there was any recalls on the FZ07..........I guess after 1500 miles mine should be ok?!
There is a single recall for an incorrect wiring on the battery. Quick fix.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome mrpeate! Sounds like you're doing everything right and enjoying your bike.  :)

Illegitimi non carborundum

Welcome mrpeate! Motorcycles of Manchester. I remember their commercials "Tell them M.O.M. sent you". No thanks Mom. I'm glad you're enjoying the bike. It'll keep getting better.

Archived