The MT-07 Forum

End of Summer So Cal Ride Sept 20th on ACH : Updated W/ Pics

tanner68

Since the other thread went six pages before we could get something promising organized, I thought it would be a good idea to get another thread going. 
http://fz07.org/thread/3337/end-summer-meet-2015?page=6

We are meeting at the La Canada Shell, at the base of Hwy 2, at 0930 on Sunday September 20th. Let's plan on rolling out by 0945.

Let's ride ACH up past Newcombs Ranch to Islip Saddle. Then turnaround and go back to NR for socializing, coffee, and food. Then we will continue back down ACH to Big Tujunga. Then we will take Big Tee all the way to the Seven Eleven in Tujunga at Foothill and Oro Vista. 

I propose that we have several pre-planned stops for riders to regroup, tighten up, and for safety. And that way everyone can ride at their own pace. 

La Canada Shell
Red Box 
Newcombs Ranch (pull all the way to the far end since we will keep rolling)
Islip Saddle
Newcombs Ranch
The big turnout on ACH just before the right onto Upper Big Tujunga
The Stop Sign at the three way intersection at Big Tujunga
Sierra Hwy Big Tunjunga Fork
Big Tujunga Resevoir Overlook
Seven Eleven at Oro Vista

Looks like we already have about six FZ07 riders or so from the other thread. Let's see how many more we can get. 

Note: Looking to add a spot between NR and IS, as that is a long stretch. Maybe it will be Snowcrest or Buckhorn CG. 

• Premium Member

MEOW
FYI, the section from ach to Sierra Highway is actually Upper Big Tujunga Rd.

crescentwrench

I don't know any of this road or the stops so I'll need to buddy up w someone.

Also just read on another moto forum that it's still pretty sandy and dirty in some spots, but "very rideable" so just FYI.

Can we get a roll call on who's planning on coming Sunday?
I'm coming solo.

crescentwrench
We can ride there together. If we're to meet at 0930 I'll be leaving here no later than 0830
Thanks I'm gonna head out extra early so I can take a decent beak after the freeway riding. Prob get some breakfast near the bottom, ...don't know where yet.

crescentwrench

Cal trains says

This highway information is the latest reported as of Saturday, September 19, 2015 at 22:31 .

SR 2
[iN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM ISLIP SADDLE TO 5 MI WEST OF BIG PINES (LOS ANGELES CO)
- DUE TO A ROCK & MUD SLIDE - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

What do y'all suppose?

crescentwrench

Also, Newcombs Ranch reports the road is still very dirty, and there is an auto event this weekend expecting 200+ autos.

The closure after Islip is not an issue. That happens all the time. I don't think the road is dirty. I read there was an auto event today. I don't know about tomorrow, and I hope there isn't one. We are rolling. We can always improvise and ride over to Big Tujunga (It only takes a few minutes.) and even Little Tujunga.

crescentwrench

Have you been up recently?
I just have reservations about coming all that way for a potentially very gritty road.... Or getting stuck behind massive amounts of autos...

I rode up on Wednesday to NR and it was fine. There can be some decomposed granite sometimes on some of the stretches from NR to IS after weather events. But riding at over 7,000 feet in elevation, Cloudburst Summit, has it's own charms. And CalTrans is really diligent on ACH. It sees tons of motorcycle traffic every weekend.

crescentwrench

Ah you been there yourself to see... Well why didn't you say so!
Cool. See you guys at the Shell.
I'll probably be over at Black Cow getting grub and coffee before we meet.

Archived