The MT-07 Forum

oem fz07 frame (side) sliders

mhakkola

Hey. I was a dumb ass and bought the oem frame sliders. Pricey. Anyhow, I would love some perspective from anyone that might have some perspective how to put them on before I accidentally drop my bike. Thanks in advance.

• Global Moderator

Why would you be a dumb ass for buying OEM sliders? I see nothing wrong with them.
Maybe a bit pricey but Yamaha quality is great and price never stopped me from buying their stuff.

http://yamaha-motor.ca/images/pages/pna/products/AC/1WS-211D0-10-00_unit.jpg

Can't help you with giving perspective. Don't have sliders but I imagine they simply bolt on and come with instructions.

Post some pics when you have them on.

• Premium Member

Those with frame sliders would only benefit you in the event of you dropping your bike. They look good too imo.

• Global Moderator

I like the Yamaha sliders (except for the price) but I wanted something to cover the tube end in the frame. I think that it is just screaming for something to cover it and make it look more finished. That is the main reason I went with another brand. If the Yamaha ones went there I would have paid more to keep it all manufacturer parts.

The instructions are on the back of the package. Little piece of paper in a small plastic envelope. Were they not there? I can take a photo of mine later if you need them. You do have to make one cut (kind of annoying) for them to mount flush. I'm putting mine on today or tomorrow.

Slammermd, I figured it out on the one side, but I figured I would have to make a cut on the other. I didn't know if I had to remove the one cover or not. If you don't mind giving a little guidance here, however you wish, that would be great. No instructions in the packaging or on the back.

Here's pics of the instructions. Hopefully this'll do the trick. Might want to save them on your phone/computer and then look at them that way.

y8ymyhem.jpg
anu2enez.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I bought the Original Yamaha frame sliders a few months ago, they arrived this week but now I prever the other ones that fit in the frame.
So if someone is interested to buy the Original yamaha frame sliders for me, send me a pm.

Guest MXRider

I'd prefer case sliders over large frame sliders any day. I've seen plenty of bikes at the track get more messed up because of the sliders than if they didn't have them. They have a tendency to catch and flip the bike.

• 3 months later...

The OEM engine guards work very well at low speed drops - both sides.  

Here's the long version.  My 5'4" wife currently rides a 250 V Star - her first motorcycle, and she loves riding - 8,000 miles on weekends over the past year or so, including 3 trips of about 1,000 Miles each.  I got the FZ07 with the hope she'd like it and move up. She can just tip-toe on flat ground, so I figured we'll get a lowering kit if she's interested. Then I'll, get another one for me.

I rode the bike home from the dealer.  We went for a ride  on day 2, with her on the FZ07.  She loves it, but had 2 tip overs at 0 mph.  One on each side.  The side guards worked great.  They have minor scratches on the plastic and only little scuffs on the bar ends.  She loves the acceleration, the upright position and the nimble handling: it's just too tall for her.

The lowering kit is on its way, and I expect I'll be shopping for my own FZ-07 by January.  

I need some advice.  Our first FZ07 is red.  What color should I get for the next one?  Is a second Red one to Matchy-Matchy?  We have 2 kids in their 20's and we don't want to be mocked.

Lol at matchy-matchy but I'd get a different colour ... it's like the 2 twins that are identically dressed all the time ... never got that and thought it was kinda humiliating for the twins.

My preference is for the grey.

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

Back to the OP, I think the OEM sliders are nicer!

Paressenti, how about starting a new thread with pics of where the damage was, I'd be curious to see how the sliders held up in a drop.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Here's the long version.  My 5'4" wife currently rides a 250 V Star - her first motorcycle, and she loves riding - 8,000 miles on weekends over the past year or so, including 3 trips of about 1,000 Miles each.  I got the FZ07 with the hope she'd like it and move up. She can just tip-toe on flat ground, so I figured we'll get a lowering kit if she's interested. Then I'll, get another one for me.

I rode the bike home from the dealer.  We went for a ride  on day 2, with her on the FZ07.  She loves it, but had 2 tip overs at 0 mph.  One on each side.  The side guards worked great.  They have minor scratches on the plastic and only little scuffs on the bar ends.  She loves the acceleration, the upright position and the nimble handling: it's just too tall for her.

The lowering kit is on its way, and I expect I'll be shopping for my own FZ-07 by January.  

I need some advice.  Our first FZ07 is red.  What color should I get for the next one?  Is a second Red one to Matchy-Matchy?  We have 2 kids in their 20's and we don't want to be mocked.
Lol, yea I hear you on the possibility of mocking.  I am partial to the white because the black rims mesh well with majority of accessories rather than the race blue on the graphite.  It was a hard choice for me between the graphite and white though.  On the other hand, now that I think of it, the race blue has a lot of accessories that closely match the color. 

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

For what I hear, the red would be TOO fast for your wife (rofl). I am absolutely no help to you O_o 

Cassecou,so what are the slower colors? And where is the color knob so I can start her out on a slower color and step it up as she gets more comfortable? :)  We have helmet radios and she was quite giddy when she really hit the gas getting onto the expressway for the first time.  This bike is a bit faster than her Vstar 250.

I'd appreciate some newbee help.  FullSizeRender.jpg?dl=0Where are instructions on how to enter photos into posts?  Here's a dropbox link to the "damage" done in the first tipover.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fe7lam6wwteghvl/FullSizeRender.jpg?dl=0

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Cassecou,so what are the slower colors? And where is the color knob so I can start her out on a slower color and step it up as she gets more comfortable? :)  We have helmet radios and she was quite giddy when she really hit the gas getting onto the expressway for the first time.  This bike is a bit faster than her Vstar 250. 
I'd appreciate some newbee help.  FullSizeRender.jpg?dl=0Where are instructions on how to enter photos into posts?  Here's a dropbox link to the "damage" done in the first tipover.

The link doesn't work JWP.  Says it's moved or something.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

According to our scientific poll, red is the fastest, trailed by grey and poor white is the slowest. Vote here

Hippie to the rescue (again) How to post a pic: Click here 

Illegitimi non carborundum

FZRDR, here are the pictures of the Yamaha OEM engine guards after one tip-over per side. 

http://i.imgur.com/eO99vgs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/s0nr0Af.jpg

The guards stick out far enough to protect everything under them from rubbing if the bike tips over. Except the little ground-dragging pins on the foot pegs. They just snap off if you fall over when you're not moving forward.

Hippie, thanks for the tutorial on uploading photos. 

I look forward to the scientific poll to uncover the effects of bike color on speed. 

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Looks like the guards did their job. The lean angle limiters probably should be removed anyway - for me they just got in the way of where I want my leg to be when stopped.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator
... I need some advice.  Our first FZ07 is red.  What color should I get for the next one?  Is a second Red one to Matchy-Matchy?  We have 2 kids in their 20's and we don't want to be mocked.
Matchy Matchy?  NOOOOOOOO !

a98078_matching_12-couple.jpg

I'm not sure when Yamaha will introduce the new 2016 colours but I love the look of the yellow one.

2015-Yamaha-MT-07-EU-Extreme-Yellow-Studio-007.jpg

Archived