The MT-07 Forum

Fz 07 newbie suspension upgrade for more comfort?

frk2

Hi everyone!

Loving the fz! However I do think it needs some better suspension. Mines really rough at lower speeds. What should I think of if comfort/control is my aim? I've been looking at traxxion emulators + penske single adjust. Any advice?

• Global Moderator

There is a lot of info in the suspension section of the forum. @pattonme is our suspension guru and has good inexpensive options in the supporting vendors section. You also cannot go wrong with Traxxion Dynamics in the supporting vendors area also. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Thanks guys - I've read those posts. I should've clarified that I was looking for advice mostly for more comfort (since that part was unclear). Seems like most people modifying their suspension was for performance (tight corners / track) while compromising on comfort. I do not wish to do that :) Just curious what kind of a setup would provide the maximum comfort against sharp bumps etc :)

• Global Moderator

I think that having the suspension set up for you will make it fell more "comfortable". Motorcycles are not like cars where a very soft suspension will absorb bumps and feel comfy. A soft suspension will just make cornering less precise and less comfortable (and possibly even scary).

> Mines really rough at lower speeds.

Perhaps you can elaborate? I'm reading it as riding over bumps and road surface changes is harsh and jarring where your wrists and butt are getting hit with sharp blows. Your weight relative to the OEM design 'parameters' is also a factor in just how far off the suspension is for your use.

Harshness is a result of insufficient oil flow. Weaker springs make the problem worse since shaft speeds go up. So first order of business is the right spring at both ends, correct preload to achieve sag targets, and some more holes in the damper rod. That should at least help.

Good suspension is plush and also controlled. It's not stiff, it's not bouncy. It works at 30mph just as well as it works at 90.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Pattonme - that's precisely what happens. I'm used to driving my jeep on trails and it simply feels like the front end is simply weird (too much brake dive but its a rock on small bumps) and the rear end simply doesn't have any oomph to control rebound (rear tire smashes into a hole below)

Leaning towards emulators + shocks. Pattonme where are you located? Wondering if you are in Cali maybe shipping out the forks to you is a better idea than getting the traxxion emulator kit.

I'm in Virginia. Shipping to me is probably $40. The Traxxion emulator kit is the top of that particular category. I'm obviously biased in my opinions as to the performance/dollar between Emulators vs Cartridge so I'll let others (publicly at least) comment.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Thanks guys - I've read those posts. I should've clarified that I was looking for advice mostly for more comfort (since that part was unclear). Seems like most people modifying their suspension was for performance (tight corners / track) while compromising on comfort. I do not wish to do that :) Just curious what kind of a setup would provide the maximum comfort against sharp bumps etc :)

I'm sure you will get some excellent answers here, but let me add this one.

The BEST suspension upgrade is the aquired skill and habit of pressing more weight down on your pegs as you ride a bumpy road. Without actually letting your butt rise off the seat, and having good knee/leg squeeze to connect you to the bike you can decrease felt bumps by an enormous amount, making an uncomfortable stretch rideable, even at higher speeds. It does require some effort, but not that much, especially once those muscles and your posture get used to the technique.
I used to even stand up a bit at freeway speeds over sharp bumps, but that is unecessary and it is more stable to remain mounted but using your legs to take 10-90% of the road shock (more is better as you get stronger and you will automatically know how much instictually in time. This technique can also increase traction in turns with less than uber or tuned suspensions especially over rough roads. I always weight my pegs when taking curves at freeway speeds, and center my weight and posture over the pegs. Between me and the bikes susension, it is like butter.
Unless u want to spend 10k on suspension, riding style will have as much if not more effect than average upgrades to the platform. My admittedly newb opinion.
And of course I am all for upgrades, better is better. But the best results are via learning how to ride better and it's free. I remember the "twist of the wrist" bike guru saying something similar when the two noobs were analyzing problems with thier bikes and guessing about tunes and upgrades when in reality, the best skill they needed was how to adapt your body to any platform. Then when you get the tunes and upgrades, you really got it made. I have a stock FZ and I used to get beat up at the speeds and roads I ride, but now I am very comfortable as I use my legs as shocks. A benefit to having an upright naked bike.

Databyter

What databyter says is basically true, but the bike still needs to assist you and in corners it is very hard to dampen the bike with your body inputs. It requires properly damped compliant suspension.
What Pattonme says is also true . A properly setup suspension will always be more comfortable than a incorrectly damped incorrectly sprung one. THIS bike is poorly sprung AND damped. "Un-poorlying" ( see I was in IT for too long) will make it much more comfortable. If you spring for your loaded weight and then damp it FOR THE SPRING, it will be smooth and controlable. NOTE the bike is short so there is a pitch and load transfer trade-off, but well damped will mitigate that ( mostly).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Not to pile onto the pat ourselves on the back meme... But I would say the vast majority of the riding public sits on the saddle like it's a couch. Legs loose, core weak, arms+shoulders "hanging on". When it should be the opposite: knees gripping (moderate clench), weight and tension in the calves, feet and thighs (not talking air-chair degree of effort), core firm, and the shoulders and arms loosey-goosey (think chicken dance).

If you're droning the Interstate and want to veg out, sure, go ahead. But in general riding is supposed to be active, physically as well as mentally.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I partially agree with whats being said - Being an engineer I think its a solvable problem (cars are doing it) that motorcycles feel comfortable without you having to adapt to it. I understand that this is possibly not being actively worked on but hopefully someday people will ride motorcycles and say 'those idiots had to use their legs for suspension!'. :) I'd buy that motorcycle in a heart beat :)

That said - are the BMW paralever suspensions better than our link ones?

rake/trail doesn't change nearly so much in Hossack design and since a beefy "shock" is handling the forces it will tend to have better behavior by virtue of better cost and bigger orifices.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I partially agree with whats being said - Being an engineer I think its a solvable problem (cars are doing it) that motorcycles feel comfortable without you having to adapt to it. I understand that this is possibly not being actively worked on but hopefully someday people will ride motorcycles and say 'those idiots had to use their legs for suspension!'. :) I'd buy that motorcycle in a heart beat :) [be]That said - are the BMW paralever suspensions better than our link ones?

You can have that MC now, you have to pay for the right components installed by the right tech
I can guarantee you regardless on how you sit on the bike you will be amazed at the difference
However a cheap emulator is not the way to achieve that but a compromise,
Proper cartridges with good pistons and appropriate shim config is the answer as is a good rear shock
A well set up street bike has its wheels following the road surface while the chassis and its rider take a straighter line = comfort

Hang on folks. Using you legs is NOT just to give you extra suspension compliance ( although it does). By loading you feet and hands you change the effect of the whole bike Centre of gravity, because your body is not rigidly linked to the bike mass. Loading and unloading your feet and hands moves the CoG down and forward ( or back and upward )and allows you to change that position to be closer or furthur away from the pendulum axis. This makes the bike easier to turn or stabilize.
Similiarly moving side to side moves the CoG inside or outside the corner to assist ( or otherwise) getting the mass vector pointed in the right direction ( the wheels contact line) to keep the bike turning or to make it straighten up.
Cars are for sitting in, bikes are for climbing around. It is why cruisers are so popular in the US ( and here especially with the older crowd) ...you just sit and hang on... you haven't got much choice...

It is why cruisers are so popular in the US ( and here especially with the older crowd) ...you just sit and hang on... you haven't got much choice...
I sat on a cruiser a couple months ago while the FZ was getting inspected and my near 63 year old leg muscles instantly cramped up at my hip. It wasn't even cool on the showroom floor. I'll never get it. 

Geez you are even older than me...only just.
After standing at a lab bench for 41 years, looking forward to retiring in a couple more so I can do more riding 
As for getting old (calendar-wise), eh.... not a big deal

Careful about retireing. When I did I found I had no idea haw I managed to do everything when I was working. I find it hard enough to find time for a ride now...

I actually also have no idea why cruisers are so popular. They are not fun to ride or comfortable or easy to steer. They do track straight on highways though. I say effective marketing maybe?

They look macho and attract women. It's that simple. Ordinary motorcycles just don't have the same "everyman ( woman)" appeal.
How many people , when you say you have a motorcycle say " you got a Harley?". It even happens in Australia...

I actually also have no idea why cruisers are so popular. They are not fun to ride or comfortable or easy to steer. They do track straight on highways though. I say effective marketing maybe?

Have you decided how you are approaching the comfort suspension cure?

They look macho and attract women. It's that simple. Ordinary motorcycles just don't have the same "everyman ( woman)" appeal. How many people , when you say you have a motorcycle say " you got a Harley?". It even happens in Australia...

I mentioned to a coworker how I ride a motorcycle to work. He asked what kind. I told him. He said "Thank you for not just saying a Harley. Seems everyone always says Harley when I ask."

It's coming around slowly, but I am starting to see more than just HD and supersports on the road.

Have you decided how you are approaching the comfort suspension cure?
Doesn't seem like there's much I can do other than shocks and forks (I'm doing both). Matt ( pattonme) was nice to send me in some forks which I'll put on soon. I put in a penske double clicker in the back - helps somewhat. Seems to help more for the really big bumps but not so much for smaller ones. Definitely makes the ride feel safer though!

Archived