The MT-07 Forum

For anyone who has done the R6 throttle tube swap

yamahappy74

I bought the Motion USA R6 throttle tube and installed it yesterday before realizing it is not the same as the OEM R6 throttle tube. The Motion USA R6 tube makes a noticeable difference from the OEM FZ-07 tube, but you still have a really long twist to get to wide open throttle. I am curious how the OEM R6 tube compares to the Motion USA R6 tube. I have seen a few people in this thread ask what the size difference is, but I haven't seen an answer. I found a dude selling a used OEM R6 tube for $5 on ebay, so I bought it today. I will update you guys once I receive it and let you know what the size difference is. I will also try to give my opinion on all 3 tubes, since I will experience riding with them all within about a week.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can glue on a bit of plastic toward the end of rotation so that the throttle picks up faster once you've moved past a certain point. Don't ask me how many degrees past 'zero' it needs to go because I don't know.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
I bought the Motion USA R6 throttle tube and installed it yesterday before realizing it is not the same as the OEM R6 throttle tube. The Motion USA R6 tube makes a noticeable difference from the OEM FZ-07 tube, but you still have a really long twist to get to wide open throttle. I am curious how the OEM R6 tube compares to the Motion USA R6 tube. I have seen a few people in this thread ask what the size difference is, but I haven't seen an answer. I found a dude selling a used OEM R6 tube for $5 on ebay, so I bought it today. I will update you guys once I receive it and let you know what the size difference is. I will also try to give my opinion on all 3 tubes, since I will experience riding with them all within about a week.
There have been some posts around here that throw around these numbers, but I don't know if they are real.  :) 
FZ-07 stock 34mm diameter - 1/4 turn
Motion Pro R6 39mm diameter 1/5 turn
OEM R6 42mm diameter 1/6 turn.

Why can't left turners see us?

Well, this was a bit of a buzzkill. I received the R6 OEM throttle tube today, and heres how it stacks up:

FZ-07 Stock - Ø1.29" (33mm)
R6 Motion Pro - Ø1.43" (36mm)
R6 OEM - Ø1.45" (37mm)

I haven't ridden it with the R6 OEM throttle tube, but I can only assume it will feel almost identical to the Motion Pro.

• Premium Member
Well, this was a bit of a buzzkill. I received the R6 OEM throttle tube today, and heres how it stacks up: 
FZ-07 Stock - 1.29" (33mm)
R6 Motion Pro - 1.43" (36mm)
R6 OEM - 1.45" (37mm)

I haven't ridden it with the R6 OEM throttle tube, but I can only assume it will feel almost identical to the Motion Pro.
Sorry man, I gave you my disclaimer. :( It's nice that you know the true answer now and hopefully it can be saved to some forum topic where people can find it in the future (other than just random searching).  Like if there was a topic for aftermarket product specs or something like that.  That way, some a-hole like me, wouldn't mislead you in the future.
I deeply apologize for posting bogus specs, but I read them on the internet... :)

Guest 2wheeler
FZ-07 Stock - Ø1.29" (33mm)
R6 Motion Pro - Ø1.43" (36mm)
R6 OEM - Ø1.45" (37mm)

FWIW, I definitely like the R6 grips better than the stock FZ-07 grips. Of course that is assuming that your R6 OEM tube came with the grip already glued to the tube as mine did.

What I find most irritating about threads like this is rarely do people actually cite WHAT YEAR(s) bike series they are talking about. It may well be that some years' R6 had 42mm OD and whatever year R6 @monkey bought has 37. More to the point, measuring the OD is pointless, what matters is the OD of the cable groove itself and if it's consistent all the way around (probably) or if it has a ramp.

Personally I think it's better to have a small radius early on since <1/3 throttle should be a relatively sensitive affair with no surprises, and once you pass 1/2 throttle it can come on a lot more aggressively.

For the purist, there is always http://www.motionpro.com/featured/rev2_throttle

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
What I find most irritating about threads like this is rarely do people actually cite WHAT YEAR(s) bike series they are talking about. It may well be that some years' R6 had 42mm OD and whatever year R6 @monkey bought has 37. More to the point, measuring the OD is pointless, what matters is the OD of the cable groove itself and if it's consistent all the way around (probably) or if it has a ramp. 
Personally I think it's better to have a small radius early on since <1/3 throttle should be a relatively sensitive affair with no surprises, and once you pass 1/2 throttle it can come on a lot more aggressively.

For the purist, there is always http://www.motionpro.com/featured/rev2_throttle

2016 R6 is the tube I bought. It's got the 42mm cam. It's a 1/6 turn compared to the 1/5 turn of the MotionPro R6 tube, and whatever turn the stock tube is, maybe 1/3 (120 degrees sounds about right)? 
The 42mm cam is still a relatively large twist from 0 - fully open at about 80 degrees, but definitely better than stock. 

Here's the part number for the CORRECT 42mm cam R6 throttle tube and matching grip: 

Tube - 2C0-26240-00-00
Grip  - 2C0-26241-00-00

Haha no hard feelings rowdy, that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks on ebay. The throttle tube I bought on ebay was for a 2004 R6. I'll try out the one on Yamaha OEM sites and just bite the bullet. For the record my measurements were on the OD of the tube because there was no "groove" around the 3 different tubes I measured.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but this is a perfect opportunity to dust off my 3D printer. I designed and printed a "ramp" to glue around the Motion Pro throttle tube. I took the advice of @pattonme and started the ramp mid-throttle, gradually increasing the diameter.  
20160927_222416_1.jpg

It's nice to know the actual diameters of the various tubes, on initial info I took a slice of pvc and bonded on (the stock tube) a constant diameter 42 mm. It does make for a fun and very responsive throttle but also can be a bit jerky on a bad bumpy road, especially when you're tired at the end of a longer ride, this is where a design as pattonme suggests with a 'ramp up' idea would be better I think. Mine would be easy to modify on the disc sander.

One thing that I didn't anticipate with the larger diameter tube was the increase in force necessary to open the throttle, not bad around town but after awhile on the road it becomes more noticeable and for me in particular, when it's cold out, the heavier throttle gives me a stiff neck on the right side during long rides. Just something to think about.

Like I need another project ...

slap some 1.25"(?) schedule 40 in my 4-jaw, offset and bore to size, slice into 4mm(?) widths and sell for 3 easy payments of $3.99 as seen on late night TV!

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Like I need another project ... 
slap some 1.25"(?) schedule 40 in my 4-jaw, offset and bore to size, slice into 4mm(?) widths and sell for 3 easy payments of $3.99 as seen on late night TV!
While you're at it, make the slice a smidge wider than stock and you will eliminate that end-to-end slop that is prevalent in production tubes, that was almost as nice a feature as the faster turn. 
Pattonme, I think I'm going to follow your train of thought by taking a round needle file and grooving a ramp into the first 1/3 of throttle travel, slow it down just a bit.

don't blame me @markster if it turns out fantastic. :)
I don't have a housing to measure. Can anyone define what the native width is and what the groove's max width is?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

To clarify for those of you that apparently struggle with math...

360° is 1 turn.

Therefore...

1/4 turn is 90°
1/5 turn is 72°
1/6 turn is 60°

Switching to a 1/6 turn throttle doesn't change wide-open to 80°... 360/6 is 60.

- - - - -

I went with the Yamaha part, because I'm a fan of OEM quality.

My synopsis on the part change is that is makes a world of difference when you're twisting it to the moon... but it's not much of a noticeable difference for your basic stuff (leaving lights/signs, traffic, easy cruising, etc). Meaning I didn't have to adjust my driving style at all, and that's including rev matching for downshifts. It's a 33.3% difference; so if you wanted 15% throttle before, you had to twist 13.5°, whereas with the 1/6, it's only 9°. The more throttle applied though, the larger that degree difference becomes.

Cliff Notes: If all you ever do is putt-putt around, you don't need this. If you're someone that enjoys twisting the throttle and feeling the fury between your legs, this should be one of the first things you get. Took me 15 minutes from start to finish; with 10 of those minutes being me adjusting the slack.

• Premium Member
To clarify for those of you that apparently struggle with math... 
360° is 1 turn.

Therefore...

1/4 turn is 90°
1/5 turn is 72°
1/6 turn is 60°

Switching to a 1/6 turn throttle doesn't change wide-open to 80°... 360/6 is 60.

- - - - -

I went with the Yamaha part, because I'm a fan of OEM quality.

My synopsis on the part change is that is makes a world of difference when you're twisting it to the moon... but it's not much of a noticeable difference for your basic stuff (leaving lights/signs, traffic, easy cruising, etc). Meaning I didn't have to adjust my driving style at all, and that's including rev matching for downshifts. It's a 33.3% difference; so if you wanted 15% throttle before, you had to twist 13.5°, whereas with the 1/6, it's only 9°. The more throttle applied though, the larger that degree difference becomes.

Cliff Notes: If all you ever do is putt-putt around, you don't need this. If you're someone that enjoys twisting the throttle and feeling the fury between your legs, this should be one of the first things you get. Took me 15 minutes from start to finish; with 10 of those minutes being me adjusting the slack.
I appreciate the facts you've laid out, but I don't think you can write off all people who want finer control over the throttle to people who "putt-putt around".  There are a lot of people who have R6s that install a smaller diameter throttle tube to have a little more range.  I have the Motion Pro throttle tube, and I like it, but a I do have to be more careful about engine braking and blipping for rev matching. It's a matter of riding style and taste.

I wasn't writing those people off as people who just putt-putt around. Try not to take your own meaning of my words; I meant exactly what I said: if all someone does is putt-putt around (those people exist), then they don't need this modification. In fact, I would argue that sticking with the 1/4 is a better choice for those people.

I can perfectly see why someone would want to stick with 1/4 or a 1/5 to have more range. I was not addressing that crowd at all.

Archived