The MT-07 Forum

For anyone who has done the R6 throttle tube swap

yamahappy74

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
jeckler, I did that to my DRZ tube but took a round needle file to cut a shallow groove for cable to center on. Hmmm, should have done that on the lathe before I bisected the pvc...live and learn. Did you also glue it on?
@markster , I didn't feel a need to file a groove. The stock tube doesn't have one, and I doubt the R6 tube does either. It's the same width as the stock pulley, almost touches the ends and can't go anywhere, so didn't glue it. It's now the same diameter as an R6 pulley. I adjusted the cable at the top rather than at the bottom, much easier to get to.
I finally got a chance to ride it this morning and didn't consciously notice anything abnormal. I know the twist has been reduced (I measured it), but there were no ill effects, such as twitchiness.
@go4geoff , I can't put it nicely how messed up your install is becoming.

- Andy

@jeffkisthename @mysweetfz07 @jeckler Sorry for not replying sooner fellas! So yea once I told them to adjust the cables as they go, they figured it out in less than 5min. They didn't believe me until they actually tried what I asked them to. Thankful to prove them wrong! They seriously just needed to swallow their pride and believe me when I said many other ppl have done it with no problem lol. But now on to the review! It took me all of 2 blocks distance to get used to it and immediately think, "yeah THIS is right." It's a far superior feel to the bike compared to stock throttle twist. Very happy with the cheap (yet time consuming for no reason) mod done! Appreciate ya guys pushing me to do it. Def gonna enjoy it more in the canyons I'm sure! :cool: :thumbup:

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Premium Member
phicurious86

For future reference, you don't need to get an OEM R6 tube.

This tube is a fair bit cheaper and also does the trick - http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-01-0094-Throttle-Sleeve/dp/B000WJ7OIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461370252&sr=8-1&keywords=motion+pro+throttle+tube

Imagine most bike shops have this tube if they do work on dirt bikes.

• Premium Member

MotionPro doesn't differentiate between the two and specifies that theirs fits both the R1 and R6. Their tube's pulley is actually R1 diameter. There is a 4mm difference between the two OEM pieces, the R6 being bigger.

- Andy

ducttapewd40

So I've noticed my stock throttle seems to have a bit of a sloppy fit not in the cable slack but in the fit between the tube and the handlebars. Like the throttle tube needs to have a just slightly smaller inside diameter. Has anyone else noticed this on the stock throttle or an improvement after doing the swap? If anyone noticed an improvement, what brand was the R6 tube?

@ducttapewd40 The R6 tube I bought from my local yamaha dealership. It's an oem yamaha throttle and paid $20.35 for it.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

Is there a specific part number or model year R6 tube that fits the FZ07? I'm thinking of having the dealership install in before I take delivery next week since they are installing my PCV/Exhaust for free, might as well add this on.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

ducttapewd40
@ducttapewd40 The R6 tube I bought from my local yamaha dealership. It's an oem yamaha throttle and paid $20.35 for it.
Nice.  That's the one I was looking at.  Already had the grip installed on it?  And you'd say it had a better fit to the handlebar?

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
Is there a specific part number or model year R6 tube that fits the FZ07? I'm thinking of having the dealership install in before I take delivery next week since they are installing my PCV/Exhaust for free, might as well add this on.
@xeon ,check page 3 of this thread, mysweetfz07 list the part number there.

@xeon ,check page 3 of this thread, mysweetfz07 list the part number there.
Thanks! Can't believe I missed that post, I must be blind. 

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

@ducttapewd40 Yep it already had an oem grip installed on the tube. I had them swap it for the driven racing grips I currently have on my bike. The tube is a bit wider in circumference compared to stock so it fills up your palm area better when gripping the bars. I've had a gripe about how thin the bar is on our ride. I have smaller hands and even I thought our bar is too small to wrap a full hand around.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ChicagoAJ

So can I just order a tube and reuse the stock grip? I see a lot of posts about the grips not matching after doing this mod, what's the deal?

Guest 2wheeler

I don't think you can get the Yamaha factory R6 tube without the grip. At least when I got mine, there didn't appear to a tube only option. The Motion Pro is a tube only. The grip on the R6 tube does not look dramatically different from the FZ grip. I'm going to change mine to match but I am in no hurry.

My $0.02 worth, go with the factory R6 tube as it has the bigger cam which means the turn is reduced more that of the FZ and the Motion Pro. It's a big change but you will get use to it within not too many miles. It makes the bike a LOT more fun, but you can still ride it sanely!

Guest ChicagoAJ
I don't think you can get the Yamaha factory R6 tube without the grip. At least when I got mine, there didn't appear to a tube only option. The Motion Pro is a tube only. The grip on the R6 tube does not look dramatically different from the FZ grip. I'm going to change mine to match but I am in no hurry.  
My $0.02 worth, go with the factory R6 tube as it has the bigger cam which means the turn is reduced more that of the FZ and the Motion Pro. It's a big change but you will get use to it within not too many miles. It makes the bike a LOT more fun, but you can still ride it sanely!

Yea, I think I'm going to go with this one (unless there's a better option): 

2C0-26240-00-00

But wouldn't I be able to just swap the grip from my stock tube to the R6 tube to save myself the hassle of buying another stock R6 grip???

Guest 2wheeler

From what I hear, it's a real pain to remove that grip unless you just cut it off. Plus, the grip on the R6 tube was unbelievably sticky/tacky compared to the FZ grip, and that is compared to the FZ grip even when it was new. Not sure if that was a fluke but me and a couple of the dealership people were all commenting on the stickiness of the R6 grip. Sticky = Good

With the R6 grip you have to take off a grip and put another when on. Using the FZ grips, you will have to take 2 grips off and put 1 on. Plus, I would rather know the grip on my throttle isn't going anywhere. The factory grip is there for life, but I have had more than my share of grip slippage using glues, hairspray, etc.

Guest ChicagoAJ
From what I hear, it's a real pain to remove that grip unless you just cut it off. Plus, the grip on the R6 tube was unbelievably sticky/tacky compared to the FZ grip, and that is compared to the FZ grip even when it was new. Not sure if that was a fluke but me and a couple of the dealership people were all commenting on the stickiness of the R6 grip. Sticky = Good 
With the R6 grip you have to take off a grip and put another when on. Using the FZ grips, you will have to take 2 grips off and put 1 on. Plus, I would rather know the grip on my throttle isn't going anywhere. The factory grip is there for life, but I have had more than my share of grip slippage using glues, hairspray, etc.

I guess that logic makes sense. Although with gloves I've never had an issue with a grip not being sticky enough. Hell, they make smooth metal grips, ha.  
Guess I'll get the matching R6 grip for the left side. Anyone have any advice for getting that one off?

I'm honestly surprised no one has done or mentioned the "zip tie" mod.

But to be fair I didn't read every post in this thread.

• Premium Member

I did the zip tie mod, for about 10 minutes. Then did PVC instead as I didn't trust the glue. And I wanted it to be as wide as the stock pulley.

- Andy

bmwpowere36m3

I've done the "zip-tie mod" in the past... barely noticeable and not worth the work IMHO. Modifying the tube with a thicker piece of PVC... sure. Personally for $20-30 bucks you can buy a "modified" throttle tube.

I bought the R6 tube and love it... sure at first my OCD was kicking in because of the slight difference in grip pattern. It's been a year and I don't notice it. I do notice the reduced rotation every time I ride that I've become accustomed to. Never noticed a difference in tackiness... Eventually I'll install the Renthal bars that are sitting around and then I'll switch to ProGrips.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Just bought the R6 tube and matching grip. Estimated delivery is late next week but I'll be in Florida on vacation for two weeks... It'll have to wait.

Archived