The MT-07 Forum

For anyone who has done the R6 throttle tube swap

yamahappy74

USPS tracking says mine is on the local mail truck which normally delivers to us at around 11 am. That is 6 minutes from now! Guess what I'll be doing this afternoon?!!! And the weather is great!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks bro for the link!

Hahaha, have fun installing that!

The only part that ain't clear for me on the tutorial is how you adjust the cable slack and how you know it's well setted...

Baniere%20300x60_zpstsvyokit.jpg

If you don't relieve the slack on the adjuster pictured in the center, the housing won't line up. Once you get the housing lined up, close the housing and adjust the slack until the throttle snaps back nicely with just enough slack on that same cable in the photo. Turn the handlebars both ways and check that the cable does not have premature tension with the throttle fully closed. dea89b16a111d086d2f1c330398d2ba2.jpg

I'm still debating between the R6 tube and the motion pro throttle tube. I've heard the motion pro is not as short of a twist as the R6 one. Still unsure how much shorter of a throw the throttle will feel compared to stock, which is already peppy

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

You still control the speed. It just gets you to the speed you want much quicker. I would describe it as just having better reflex now compared to being a little lazy before as if it wanted a nap after a nice big lunch like me right now.

If you don't relieve the slack on the adjuster pictured in the center, the housing won't line up. Once you get the housing lined up, close the housing and adjust the slack until the throttle snaps back nicely with just enough slack on that same cable in the photo. Turn the handlebars both ways and check that the cable does not have premature tension with the throttle fully closed. dea89b16a111d086d2f1c330398d2ba2.jpg

Thanks a lot, that is a super clear explanation!
Baniere%20300x60_zpstsvyokit.jpg

No problem. Ping me bro if you get stuck in the process. I should be able to remember what I did today for at least a few days. Ah mid 40s.

@go4geoff. Alright. Went for a 2-hour ride with my 12-year-old daughter and I still take it easy with her but sometimes get on it which she enjoys and part of her training as a passenger for later and more spirited rides in the twisties. The R6 tube is just perfect! It just allows for overall better speed control! I was diving in and getting out of some easy but nice curves without scaring her and myself of course since I had a very precious passenger! So if you are on the fence. Forget about it. Give away your money for this very inexpensive and easy upgrade!

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I'm still debating between the R6 tube and the motion pro throttle tube. I've heard the motion pro is not as short of a twist as the R6 one. Still unsure how much shorter of a throw the throttle will feel compared to stock, which is already peppy
Doesn't matter, and the stock is not peppy at all. Replace your stock one now!!! :)

SigSide.jpg

@jeffkisthename okkk lol. So what model year R6 tube should I ask for from my dealership guys?

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

15 is the tube. 7 is the matching grip if you want that too. I'm riding with mismatch grips right now because I'm too lazy to put on the left one. Nice VA weather all week and don't want any down time. Punch it in Amazon and you should get about 7 matches. Nobody local had it for me but my order came in like 3 days.

Very dope!! @mysweetfz07 I think I'll take a stroll into my usual spot and see when I can pick one up and install it for me. I wanna retain my current drive racing grips. Love the way they feel, especially if it's gonna be with a new tube

• Premium Member

1" PVC tee from Home Depot. $0.49
Time: 15 minutes...maybe.
Tools: 4 & 8MM hex driver to remove the bar end and throttle housing, hacksaw, file, sandpaper.
Result:
Modded%20throttle_zpsbbem9rxe.jpg

- Andy

I'm having the R6 tube installed right now. Hoping it'll be a nice change once it's done and I'm out on the road! Sure hope you guys are right about this! @mysweetfz07 @jeffkisthename lol

I'm having the R6 tube installed right now. Hoping it'll be a nice change once it's done and I'm out on the road! Sure hope you guys are right about this! @mysweetfz07 @jeffkisthename lol

I'll just be waiting then for that big thank you...

So apparently I need a new R6 throttle housing to fit the new tube? Didn't know it needed that new part to fit. Thought it was a simple swap @mysweetfz07 @jeffkisthename

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
So apparently I need a new R6 throttle housing to fit the new tube? Didn't know it needed that new part to fit. Thought it was a simple swap @mysweetfz07 @jeffkisthename
No. What housing do you speak of?

SigSide.jpg

The housing that covers the throttle cables that are attached to the new tube. They're double checking now haha @jeffkisthename

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
The housing that covers the throttle cables that are attached to the new tube. They're double checking now haha @jeffkisthename
Who's they? Remember, you have to adjust the cable slack/tightness when you're doing this mod.

SigSide.jpg

jeckler, I did that to my DRZ tube but took a round needle file to cut a shallow groove for cable to center on. Hmmm, should have done that on the lathe before I bisected the pvc...live and learn. Did you also glue it on?

My usual dealership guys that hook me up. Normally I do everything on my bike myself, but for convenience and supposedly a quick install I had them do it. Their techs are saying that the larger tube diameter is squishing the cables inside the housing and won't let them turn properly. I'm guessing that's what you're referring to with adjusting the throttle cables to fit? @jeffkisthename

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
My usual dealership guys that hook me up. Normally I do everything on my bike myself, but for convenience and supposedly a quick install I had them do it. Their techs are saying that the larger tube diameter is squishing the cables inside the housing and won't let them turn properly. I'm guessing that's what you're referring to with adjusting the throttle cables to fit? @jeffkisthename
Yes, tell them to get their heads out of their you know what LOL. It's a simple mod, just takes a little tweaking of the cables.

SigSide.jpg

Archived