The MT-07 Forum

For anyone who has done the R6 throttle tube swap

yamahappy74

• Premium Member

I was just wondering what that does for us? Is it larger in diameter? Less play? I'm intrigued so give up some info please.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

The throttle tube swap allows you to go from no throttle to open through without having to wrap your wrist underneath the handlebars. Its basically less travel needed to get to wide open throttle. Some like it and others don't. I've heard some say you have to be more careful after it's been done because it makes the throttle more sensitive.

• Premium Member

Ah ok. I could see that being an issue if you're not careful. Seems like a recipe for easier wheelies in first, be that good or bad.

• Premium Member

Wheelies are easy enough in first gear without having to do a throttle tube swap. The FZ wheelies without a care in the world in first gear.

Just do it. Only takes 15 minutes and if you don't like it, another 15 to revert to stock. I got mine for $20.

I wouldn't say you have to "be careful", to me it isn't that drastic of a difference. It just feels more responsive with more control. It has made shifting MUCH smoother too. That was the biggest benefit to me.

• Premium Member

Oh, I'm still doing it. I was just voicing my thoughts. I was pondering a 520 conversion too, but I feel like that might be overkill for this torque monster.

• Global Moderator
Oh, I'm still doing it. I was just voicing my thoughts. I was pondering a 520 conversion too, but I feel like that might be overkill for this torque monster.
Im hitting up both, not sure what changes it will make to the bike but since i commute on it, and dont car much about gas mileage, i just wanna have some fun

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I did a 520 on my R6 and it was a rather jarring change. Welcome and fun, but jarring. The R6 doesn't have the low end torque of this beast, so I almost feel like a more responsive throttle meshed with even more torque (from the bump up in teeth on the rear sprocket) might be a bit much. Plus then I have to get a mileage correction device so my odo doesn't register a ton of miles when I haven't done that many.

I did the switch and honestly didn't notice a huge change. It's nice not having my hand go as far under though. I really never give it full throttle in 1st gear. Wheel jumps up too easily. I stick to 2nd gear power or 3rd gear clutch ups.

I did a 520 on my R6 and it was a rather jarring change. Welcome and fun, but jarring. The R6 doesn't have the low end torque of this beast, so I almost feel like a more responsive throttle meshed with even more torque (from the bump up in teeth on the rear sprocket) might be a bit much. Plus then I have to get a mileage correction device so my odo doesn't register a ton of miles when I haven't done that many.
I have the throttle tube, and 520 conversion, but I kept the stock gearing.  Going more aggressive with the gearing will just make 1st gear completely useless, as it's borderline useless with stock gearing.  

• 6 months later...

I just tried the R6 throttle tube swap this weekend. No matter what I tried, the throttle would not return/snap back upon release when the split cable housing was fully tightened. I tried doing some clearancing on the inside of the split housing as well as on the tube itself but nothing worked. back to stock and $30 down the drain. YMMV.

• Global Moderator
I just tried the R6 throttle tube swap this weekend. No matter what I tried, the throttle would not return/snap back upon release when the split cable housing was fully tightened. I tried doing some clearancing on the inside of the split housing as well as on the tube itself but nothing worked. back to stock and $30 down the drain. YMMV. 

Did you adjust the cables for more slack at the throttles?
I had to add about 1/4-3/16" of slack before it was close to stock

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Did you adjust the cables for more slack at the throttles? I had to add about 1/4-3/16" of slack before it was close to stock
This. I believe everyone has to adjust. I know I did.

SigSide.jpg

Did you adjust the cables for more slack at the throttles? I had to add about 1/4-3/16" of slack before it was close to stock
I put plenty of slack in the cables...that wasn't the problem. 

• Global Moderator
There needs to be the perfect amount of slack
i know it sounds weird but unless its set, it wont have enough tension or slack to return...

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx
There needs to be the perfect amount of slack i know it sounds weird but unless its set, it wont have enough tension or slack to return...

Agreed. I had to adjust mine after the R6 tube was on had to readjust after I put on the Woodcraft clip-ons.

- xCarbonSteelx

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue, adjusted the slack all the way out, and the throttle snapped back nicely until I tightened the allen bolts fully... then it would not return. I wound up putting one small washer on each bolt in between the plastic housing pieces. Now it snaps backs perfectly and the bolts are properly torqued. I'm wondering if small variations in the length of the throttle cable adjustment are to blame. I had to leave my adjustment all the way out to get the throttle to snap back properly, even with the washers in place.

Guest 2wheeler

Just curious, has anybody tried both the Motion PRO tube and the Yamaha R6 factory tube? I know what the other throttle tube thread said about the specifics of the cam on  all three tubes, but I wonder what they actually feel like in use. The Motion Pro is the in-between, but I wonder how radical the factory R6 is. As this bike is pretty wheelie prone in 1st and 2nd gears, I don't want to get into those "Oh Crap I grabbed too much throttle" situations. Having said that, the stock throttle has just way too much of a turn to it, and is going to get swapped out.

Just curious, has anybody tried both the Motion PRO tube and the Yamaha R6 factory tube? I know what the other throttle tube thread said about the specifics of the cam on  all three tubes, but I wonder what they actually feel like in use. The Motion Pro is the in-between, but I wonder how radical the factory R6 is. As this bike is pretty wheelie prone in 1st and 2nd gears, I don't want to get into those "Oh Crap I grabbed too much throttle" situations. Having said that, the stock throttle has just way too much of a turn to it, and is going to get swapped out.

I just got back from my first ride with the R6 throttle tube and wow, what a difference! I love the feel of the throttle now, it feels like I'm getting the appropriate response from my wrist action. Just for reference I do not own, nor have I ridden a bike with such a short throw, and I am a relatively inexperienced rider. After 15 minutes of riding around in town I felt comfortable enough to take it out for some twisty riding in bumpy hills. I did not feel any throttle action that I didn't intend. Because the cam is bigger the roll on has a bit more resistance, so I actually feel that the throttle is more stable now. My wrist is a little sore, but that will go away with time and getting used to it. I highly recommend it.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@ddog I was in same boat as you. This R6 throttle tube feels fantastic. I'm more comfortable using this tube vs stock. Plus, inducing wheelies is so much easier!!!

SigSide.jpg

Has any of you came across a tutorial about that? I'd like to do the swap but I no idea on how to do it and what I need...

Baniere%20300x60_zpstsvyokit.jpg

Archived