The MT-07 Forum

Question for upgrading front forks

noltz

• Premium Member

I'm gonna upgrade my front forks with the traxxion's spring only ($120 ones), what do I need to make the install and do i need to buy other parts to replace like bushings or seals (if so which)   etc etc, I am a newbie when it comes to front fork stuff so I need a helping hand for this, thanks!

• Premium Member

I hope pattonme will chime in here, because he's the guru, but the right springs will make a noticeable improvement (if they are chosen for your weight and riding style), but you have to choose the right fork oil carefully too, and go by Cst (not viscosity). Hopefully, you already have (or are getting) a fork lift.
You shouldn't have to do the bushings if your are just replacing the springs/fluids and they are in good condition now.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

What fork oil should i go for? i know nothing about this lol, i live in El Paso, TX hot weather most of the time, already got the fork lift coming in, i saw another thread about the bushing being wrong?

You might be able to pull the springs w/o removing anymore than the bars, instrument cluster and then the fork caps. The springs will come straight out the tubes. You will need to support the bike's weight one way or another, obviously

But you will lose some fluid in the process and that can't really be measured properly w/o the forks completely removed and having them vertical. I think the proper fluid cSt (centi-Stoke) vis for this type of fork is in the low 30s - Belray, & Maxima 10Ws for example. Even Mobil 1 ATF fluid is in the ball park. You shouldn't need to change all the fluid, just top up to the proper fluid height with the spring out and forks compressed.

That said, it's likely that lower bushing is wrong and really should get replaced as well. It's a bunch more work and will require some tools (like maybe an air impact wrench and a tool to keep the damper inside from turning) to deal with an apparently very stubborn lower bolt that holds it all together.

You can do it by just removing the gauge and loosening the bars to rotate them out of the way, but to get the most accurate measure of the fork oil, it's best to remove the forks entirely. It's not too much more work.

I would only do it the cheater way on my fully faired bikes where getting to the forks in a PITA (unless the ZX6r w/ it's USD forks that HAVE to be taken off, grrr)

Wasn't there a thread over on the HowTO section about taking forks apart, perhaps to replace seals? A cinch strap to compress the forks and an impact wrench to get the bolt out of the bottom. Walk over to your neighborhood service station and with a quick blip it's all over.

Don't get sold an overly stiff spring. Traxxion has a tendency to do that but their spring quality is tops.

But do change out all the oil or at least as much as you can by cycling the system upside down. I think 150mm'ish is the OEM fluid level?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Well, guess who's lower bushings also have nearly a 5mm gap! Too much rain for me to be painting so i'm now half-way into the Andreanis.

Anyway, my impact wrench with the spring in place just spun the damper - slowly, but it spun. I didn't however think of cinching down the fork though.

I had to resort to that bevelled square tool and put some pressure on it with one of my long woodworking clamps (can't have too many clamps) Once that tool could get some purchase (and it don't exactly look new anymore) the bolts unscrewed with the air wrench. I see remnants of red loctite on mine - sheesh.

Archived