The MT-07 Forum

easily reversible suspension upgrade?

crescentwrench

He still makes a whole set of very good points ( especially the chain setup) that can be used by beginners ( and the uninformed). He explains pretty well ( I used to do a huge amount of adult training and I was impressed). I think this and the Twist of the wrist books and DVD's are a good basis before you go for a trackie. He also explains stuff well enough so if someone comes to you for help they should be able to convey useful information a bit easier. You and I know that suspension isw the dark forbidden art to most people which is why everyone chucks money at their motor ( and rim strips for their wheels) instead of making their bike safer and more fun. I have only watched to video 12 and haven't seen anything overly misleading or wrong ( I stand to be corrected). Methinks you are being a little overly harsh Pattonme. He may be your competitor but overall you guys are on the same side.
Actually more annoying and dangerous on a track is the guy who is ( or isn't) riding a motard and takes motard lines through the corner in front of you while everyone else in on proper road ( track) bikes taking road lines. Used to happen to me a lot as they used to mix classes . I do take your point corner dribbleers/straight pinners. Especially aweful in smaller classes ( and I MEAN small) where you are trying to maintain corner speed caus you ain't got no power...
A how to ride track day thread could be useful. I couldn't contribute much I reckon as track days are reasonably different to Race days.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

??? I said the video series was solid. How am I being critical? I like Max!

My point was, "my first track day" is pressure enough that you don't need to compound the anxiety and self-doubt with over-thinking Max's excellent tutorials and wondering to yourself as you negotiate the track whether you need a touch of preload or damping here or there. Focus on lines, sight points, and brake-turn-throttle transitions, and stay well shy of the panic point by not worrying about pace.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Vaild points.

My point about being harsh was said with a touch of irony. I keep forgetting when I am on forums with US citizens that ( as Ruby Wax said) 'Mericans have their irony gene removed at birth. I apologize if it caused Angst.

• Premium Member

@crescentwrench, Your track day doesn't happen to be at Chuckwalla with Track Xperience is it? If so, I'll be doing that track day as well and will be happy to help in anyway I can.

- Paulie

crescentwrench
@crescentwrench, Your track day doesn't happen to be at Chuckwalla with Track Xperience is it? If so, I'll be doing that track day as well and will be happy to help in anyway I can. 
- Paulie
That's me, thanks man!

crescentwrench
A stealth patton? ( sorry I have been playing too much World of Tanks). Did you add you location to the map Pattonme?
Actually that flight would just get you to a capital city ( Brisbane) you then have to drive north for 4 hours)

Cresentwrench. If you are going to do track work I strongly suggest you get a hardback book you can write setting down in, comments and times ( if you get times) and buy a BIG 4wheel drive tyre pressure gauge with one PSI increments or even half psi. You will have to experiment with tyre pressures. Unless it is a big fast track you may have to go a long way down from stock recommended pressures. ( eg on the GoKart track we used to race on my ER6 was running 26/27psi and that was with me (84kg),a much heavier bike and a proper sized tyre (160/60).
The Bridgestone S23's might just be OK on the track. I find them harsh on the road but they MAY respond to track heating well. I would be interested to hear what you find. Start at recommended pressures and go down 1 psi at a time. Don't push to get rid of the chicken stripes as the rear tyre profile is really not good for this bike ( fine for something with an extra 50Hp or more that you can push the front around by sliding but this bike is so liberally endowed.
Because of you weight you might be able to have a bit more fun than most of us on stock "soft" suspension. You will get less rock in the suspension compared with a heavier rider. Front traction would be a bit suspect though. Lower bars might be a cheap improvement. A set of flat bars will be way under $100. Especially if you put some aftermarket std over the top bars clamps on as well. Still should be under a $100 total if you do the work yourself. You need to be able to load the front on corner exit on this bike. This normally would also transfer some weight off the soft rear but in you case it probably won't be as effective. Have fun and get the "twist of the wrist" dvd's if you haven't already seen them. The second one is the best. A GOOD track stand is advisable so you can remove your side stand. And If you are doinf track work PLEASE get your self some hinge articulated boots as soon as possible . They WILL save you lower legs.
Have fun. Track days can be awesome fun, but beware male riders who think they are Rossi and are really Karel Abrahams. They can get stupidly aggressive if they get passed by a woman. I don't know if the trackies are as supportive as proper racers, but if you are lucky you should be able to make friends with people who will be happy to give constructive advice or even help you wrench if needed. If you decide to race you should find really good people who can be extremely helpful especially in the amateur racing scene (At least that's what it's like in Australia).

Why not start a thread on you track preps, experiments and findings. No one else has. I can pretty much guarantee there will be interest in your posts and findings.
Wow... this was helpful, thank you. All of you have been really helpful.
I haven't had time to read everything in detail so forgive as I'm just getting to some of these posts. 

Thanks for the idea, too. I'm definitely a track newbie and even a sport newbie, in this sense, so I' have a lot to learn, but perhaps that could nonetheless appeal to an audience? 

I like the idea of getting a notebook. I like any idea that includes getting a notebook :)

" in this sense, so I' have a lot to learn, but perhaps that could nonetheless appeal to an audience? " That's the whole point. It is exactly because you are a newbie people will be interested. And please don't be afraid to put down the things you do wrong. I know US people hate to be wrong ( like their irony gene, their mia culpa gene is removed at birth) but that is how you and everybody else learns best. That's the real adventure . The moment when after something being a pain in the butt, it all goes finally right.

"I like the idea of getting a notebook. I like any idea that includes getting a notebook :)" I am guessing you are a Virgo then...LOL. If not your parents lied to you about your birth date...

crescentwrench
" in this sense, so I' have a lot to learn, but perhaps that could nonetheless appeal to an audience? " That's the whole point. It is exactly because you are a newbie people will be interested. And please don't be afraid to put down the things you do wrong. I know US people hate to be wrong ( like their irony gene, their mia culpa gene is removed at birth) but that is how you and everybody else learns best. That's the real adventure . The moment when after something being a pain in the butt, it all goes finally right. 
"I like the idea of getting a notebook. I like any idea that includes getting a notebook :)" I am guessing you are a Virgo then...LOL. If not your parents lied to you about your birth date...

Hilarious re: the irony gene and mia culpa gene. 
Why does a notebook fetish = virgo? I did a quick google and saw something about "exactness" ... I am definitely not an exactness person... I just LOVE notebooks...

" the irony gene " Unashamedly stolen from comedian Ruby Wax...
" I just LOVE notebooks": I bet there is a) a therapy for that, b) a forum for that and last, but definitely not least, c) an app for that.
It's not biblophillia, that's love of books, nor epistleophillia, that's love of letters and certainly not Lisztophillia , that's like Lisztomania, but without the Who. You may have to invent a psychopathological tag for that one.
If one is a follower of the somewhat inexact "science" of astrology, Virgo's like lists...a lot...

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

@crescentwrench,

Did you ever get your suspension sorted out? Still going to the track day?

Looking forward to this weekend as everyone tells me it's one of the best events of the season. I'll be on the lookout for my fellow FZ07 riders, as I hear there should be a few out there :)

- Paulie

I too am interested to know how you went CressieW. Have you had any success at suspension sorting. From pgeldz's posts he is pretty serious about trying to get things right, so he could be a helpful contact. Always good to have people you know at the track, especially someone with the same bike so you can compare notes and ideas.

Archived