The MT-07 Forum

Ex-Cruiser Rider Quick review

thestache

WOW, the bike was delivered today, and I took it around the block. Like the title says, I am a former cruiser rider, and use to the low slung, loud pipes, twist throttle something happens in 10sec of a cruiser :)

Well today, I got the FZ07, and although I was at work(I work from home) I was FORCED to take it for a quick hop around the block. First, I am short, I am only 5'7", maybe :) and I can touch the ground on both feet, it just felt natural to use one foot on the bike, something I haven't done since riding dirtbikes s a kid.

Takeoff...smooth as a babies butt, with PLENTY of torque. Now the engine braking on the bike can be a little scary, as it has a TON of engine braking. twist the throttle, and away we go, now I am not used to that as I rode cruisers and it happens a lot slower. As I made my way down the rode, and worked thru the gears, a grin passed across my face. It's the little things that make this bike a champ. Everyone will talk about the torque, but the shifting was smooth, and easily heard thru my full face helmet. The seating position is not to much sport bike, nor to much cruiser and makes it seem easy to control the bike as you move down the road. In 3rd gear, doing about 45mph, I decide to pass the car on my right, a slight flick of the wrist and the bike goes right where I want it. 

Look, I am almost 50, and the one thing about cruisers that bothered me, is...well all the chrome polishing too, but, they weigh a tone, and feel like i am maneuvering a school bus. This bike is so nimble, so lightweight, so fun...WOW, bbiaf, gotta go for a ride :)

Guys, this is the most fun I have had on a bike since I was a kid...and I only have 4 miles on it.

Can u see my smile, cuz my jaws hurt :)

• Global Moderator

Yeah I know, these bikes are crazy fun. And it is hard to explain what it is exactly to people who haven't ridden one.
The bike feels very natural. It's the whole package I guess. Yamaha did a great job.

Yeah I know, these bikes are crazy fun. And it is hard to explain what it is exactly to people who haven't ridden one. The bike feels very natural. It's the whole package I guess. Yamaha did a great job.
What I made bold....hit it right on the head...I could never just explain it, you gotta get one

• Premium Member

I like how you titled the thread "ex-cruiser"... it sounds like you don't plan to go back to the two wheeled tractors! Haha.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

So guy who has a awesome R6 at work sat on my bike coz I wanted him to see how light it is and first comment out if his mouth was "this is like a dirt bike"!

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Look, I am almost 50, and the one thing about cruisers that bothered me, is...well all the chrome polishing too, but, they weigh a tone, and feel like i am maneuvering a school bus. This bike is so nimble, so lightweight, so fun...WOW, bbiaf, gotta go for a ride :)
)

I am Italian, born and raised. Drove all kinds of bikes growing up. Some tiny (50 cc vespas) others a bit bigger (Honda cb 750). 30 years ago I got here, studied, got married and got kids. 4 years ago I got my first cruiser (Yamaha 1300 tourer). Nice bike and I miss it but oh so heavy. It was 712 wet. I don't know how many times I almost lost it maneuvering in the driveway (not smooth but gravel) and one time I got pinned underneath it against the driveway wall (we have a small driveway with not much width). I decided this was no fun anymore. I tried a maxi scooter (Burgman 650). Very comfortable and fairly quick, but still fairly heavy (over 600lb). The scoot did not speak to my soul however. Traded it in Wednesday the 7th, and now I have the FZ-07.
50% more power and 200 lb less. I am going to like this :D
Marco
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

Low weight is a must. It took me several years to understand that bigger isn't better. :D 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Low weight is a must. It took me several years to understand that bigger isn't better. :D
There are two variables in the power-to-weight ratio.  :D

Life is good on 2 wheels!

LOL, that's funny. Even more funny I am built just like the average HD rider, but I just think it makes no sense to spend that kinda money on outdated technology just cuz of, let's see how the HD Dealer put it..."The cost of ownership"

• Premium Member
I am built just like the average HD rider...
Yep, me too. But today I drove for about 70 miles of Kentucky byways and I could have driven 70 more. With my previous "pigs" I would be pooped...
"Tiny torque Monster" (or some such description I read on reviews) is a very good description.
Marco

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Welcome phyciocc! Beware of the second law of thermodynamics! Glad you joined our forum.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Archived