The MT-07 Forum

Ermax radiator covers/scoops install...

avanti

• Premium Member

I found a number of mentions here of the Ermax radiator side-covers/scoops (as sometimes labeled) but I didn't see the following info.  Even if this thread proves to be a dupe, my experience suggests one cannot have too much product info... at least, not most of the time.  This product was noted in a thread by Motomachines, the US vendor, and in one of my threads entitled, "A li'l help... maybe???", the latter which includes some installed pictures and discussion by another Forum member.

Based on that member's account I ordered a set of the Ermax covers and this post relates my experience to date.  First, things first... Motomachines was quite prompt fulfilling my order and packaged the product very well even though the parts (two side covers and attendant hardware, etc.--see pic below) had been shrink-wrapped by the French manufacturer in a manner intended for in-store rack display and not for efficient shipping.  Motomachines provided a large box sufficiently packed with bubble-wrap for UPS not to damage... certainly appreciated!

I ordered the covers unpainted ($106 plus shipping) planning to modify and paint them myself.  Upon arrival I found the supplied finish quite closely matched several other stock parts on the bike leading me to reconsider... mainly, that I might not need to refinish them, especially if I did not cut them to expose more of the engine and my "blurple" frame.  This had been my plan when first seeing these parts actually installed.

So, I opted to do a trial fitting and quick initial install.  "Quick" is the operative word!   If one were not too picky as to fit they could be put on in less than two minutes--honest.  Upon unpacking I saw that the small tab that slips under the stock, left tank side-cover looked to have been modified after coming out of the mold so I thought, "Oh, oh!  What's the story here."  But, it was no issue at all and looking at my bike I'm not sure why this was done, but no-never-mind.  However, upon aligning both covers I saw that I would need to take a rat-tail file or the Dremel tool to the new cover mounting holes to allow precision alignment.  No big deal as a pencil will easily mark the cover for modification.  The required reshaping of the mounting holes (all four) was VERY minor; others might not bother.

Next, it was obvious, as I'd noted on installed pix I'd looked at, that a little of the frame showed, along with the noted mounting tab on each new cover between the new cover and the stock tank side-cover just above the new covers after installation.  This would NOT do for me!  So, I cleaned the offending bit of frame that might show with alcohol and upon drying covered it on both sides of the bike with electrical tape.  Now, if the frame did show between pieces it would be semi-gloss black... and, I'd not affected the blurple paint if I ever do away with the Ermax covers.  I'd done similar "hiding" before and found that if "prepped" thusly and not really exposed to the elements electrical tape can work well in this fashion.

Thus, the covers are on and "finished" apart from the screens for the new cover opening not yet being installed.  Up til now, all was quite well done by Ermax... and, of course, the actual fit and finish of the covers is the IMPORTANT thing!  Yet, it is desirable for the details to be equally well done, and they aren't, imho.  First, the "Instruction" sheet...  it's great that one need know nothing to install the covers since the instructions are less than worthless--again, my opinion.  Basically, it says to stick on the screens.  I'm supposing that Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive and Seal will work okay since I use it for lots of things, but they are "screwed" together.  Other than the selected adhesive nothing else retains the four little screens.  Now, I'm not wild about painted screens and the ones delivered are silver, but these MUST be black on my 07.  Hence, I'll probably track down some black screen, make a template to cut it and silicone in place.  I may opt to enlarge the holes to be covered a little in the process.

As for the mounting instructions, I wasn't sure what to make of the suggestion that it might be necessary to add the supplied steel washers (not stainless) to the radiator to frame mount... ???  Also, two mismatched pieces of soft edging were included that don't seem to fit any edge of the covers.  Then, there are the four hard plastic washers included to mount the covers, I guess.  I cannot see they would serve any purpose, given their small diameter and durometer.  I'll punch-out eight very thin rubber washers for the final mounting and put one on each side of each cover mounting hole to provide a little protection against stress cracks in the plastic.  Btw, the covers are quite rigid and will not flop around.  The actual cover alignment is discussed on the instruction sheet but slightly enlarging the holes in the necessary dimension(s) can give adequate fine tuning for fit and snugging down can hold the covers in place fairly tight against the stock surfaces just above and adjacent.

The other "document" supplied is a booklet of caveats and disclaimers about many Ermax products in three languages--essentially legal mumbo-jumbo, I'm sure necessary to keep everyone in the product chain happy.

Overall, the parts themselves are nicely made and fit well.  Aesthetically, it's each his/her own but given the bike is already too busy from a good design stand-point, as I learned such many decades ago--too many textures, surfaces, edges (i.e. too much variation and not enough design theme) a few more don't really detract too much, and these covers certainly add more surfaces and edges, but do fit at least some of the other textures and colors--at least on the gray and blurple. 

Sorry this is so long, but if you have any Q's do, please, let me know!

• Global Moderator

Awesome look dude
guess they worked out for ya? Except for that bit of frame under the tank

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Yeah, so far, sorkyah. Once I get the screens installed and live with them a while, I'll decide if I "have" to do anything to them.

• Global Moderator
Yeah, so far, sorkyah. Once I get the screens installed and live with them a while, I'll decide if I "have" to do anything to them.
Mcnichols metals sells screen/perf at a semi decent cost
Industrial metal supply is another but their screen selection is limited.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Nice! Not trying to threadjack, but is that a rear hugger, or just the extender? If it's the extender, is it standard install, or did you customize?

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Thanks, sorkyah; I've got it--trusty ol' McMaster-Carr has otherwise identically configured screen coated with black epoxy, $6 a square foot.

Rowdy, it is an extender from "Bob's Bike Stuff" in the UK via ebay (OOPS, it wouldn't let me put the url here). Of course, it's modified, hehehe. I didn't like simply gluing it onto the stock "fenderlet" with Permatex; I also attached it with a couple stainless button-head screws and thin stainless nylocs. I've another thread in this Forum section with some pix ("Pyramid rear fender extender").

• Premium Member

I've decided what to do with the vents/scoops.  Given the attack angle and small size of the upper Ermax inlets and that the woven screen that's the closest match to Yamaha's intake screen is 16-010 (16 opening per running inch and .010" wire), giving only 71% open area at perpendicular approach, I'm simply closing them off entirely with black plastic glued on the back (see pic).

The larger, lower vents I'm leaving completely open, allowing maximum exhausting in case it's of any functional importance.

And, that's that!

Archived