The MT-07 Forum

Akro carbon vs Yoshi carbon

afjbyers

I know this has been talked about before, but threads get off topic and input really stops. So I am debating between an Akro carbon and a Yoshi Carbon.  I have had the bike over a year and use it as my daily driver.  At first I thought I would be ok with the stock exhaust, but I just can't do it anymore.  I am using the power gain as a plus but my honest real reason is sound.  I enjoy loud exhausts so for the people who have heard both in person..what are your thoughts...which one is louder?  Tone differences between the two?  I can watch YouTube videos all day, but I am looking for input from people who have heard them in real life.  I would most likely run with baffler out unless I was really happy with it in.  Thanks for being an awesome community!  I just got a new job which allows for a quite a bit of extra income so I can finally start buying all those parts on my wish list (the real reason I haven't bought an exhaust yet was funds and a wife who doesn't let me make irresponsible decisions :-/) 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know of any US sites that I could find that on or does everyone buy them from overseas sites? I haven't read much about it but I would entertain another option of course.

@afjbyers,

In my opinion, The Akra Carbon is one of my favorite exhausts for this bike. Our test bike owner, Paul, chose this exhaust on his bike.
At first, the sound was mild, but still sounded great. Paul brought his bike back in for some more testing and I almost thought a big cruiser bike was pulling up outside.
This exhaust sounded better and better the more miles he put on it. It had a real deep rumble that sounded powerful, not obnoxious or over the top.

The Yosh Carbon has also been an extremely popular exhaust among the forum members. I have not heard this exhaust as much, but have heard lots of good things about sound and performance.
From what I remember, this exhaust sounded good in the dyno room. Then again we tested 3 exhausts that day (Yosh, Two Bros, & Graves) and they all sounded good.

What I like about the Akra Carbon over the other exhausts is their added pig tail in the header pipe. This adds quite a bit of volume to the overall exhaust which helps build torque and power.
The added length can also help reduce the chance of backfiring and decel pop.

There are benefits to all these different exhausts, it just depends on what you are looking for.
The Graves exhaust sounded great and it is the lightest exhaust at 7.4 lbs. I'm actually surprised I haven't seen more people interested in this exhaust.
The stock pipe weighs in at 18.2 lbs. The next lightest exhaust next to the Graves is the Yosh Carbon at 9 lbs.

Let me know what you are thinking for an exhaust.
We have Stage 1 packages available in our supporting vendor section (Dobeck Performance) that include the exhaust of your choice and an EJK fuel controller with optimal settings.
If you are only interested in the exhaust we can do the exhaust only as well.

-TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

• 4 months later...

The Graves exhaust has been one of our personal favorites as it is very lightweight compared to stock, sounds great, and made good performance gains. The guys at Graves know their stuff and build a nice product.

-TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

I have the Akra Carbon. I also watched tons on YouTube videos before pulling the trigger. The thing that tip the scale was a Revzilla review about the brand (high quality) + I saw a Lambo and BMW M4 with custom Akra systems.

I can tell you YouTube videos can't give you the low tones of the sound; once you hear it live, you can sense the bass rumble in your skin. That was the surprise I got 1st time.

I haven't heard Yoshi live, in fact none other than mine and stock. I'm getting lots of thumbs up from strangers (not chicks, damn it!!). Two questions I'm getting frequently asked 1. Motor size CC 2.Cost. Before Akra...what brand is it (mine has no cals, only Yamaha logo)

My suggestion will be biased, this is just my experience.

I have the Graves exhaust installed on mine and am very happy with it. I like the sound of it. Sounds mean without being too loud and annoying while on long cruises. I have the baffle in mine as the baffle out was too loud for my taste.

That said, the sound of an exhaust is going to be subjective to a persons particular taste. It is hard to truly describe the sound to do an exhaust justice. I don't like loud, obnoxious exhausts, and it was hard to determine from youtube vids how certain mufflers will really sound in person. I considered Akra, Yosh, and Graves. I finally chose the Graves based on one of the 2 youtube vids that were available at the time. I rolled the dice and my choice of the Graves turned out to be a good one. Obviously, the best thing is to try to hear the exhaust that you are considering in person.

One nice thing about the Graves is that you can buy a repacking kit for the muffler so that when the packing deteriorates you can easily replace it yourself with a drill and pop rivet gun. Don't think you can do that with many of the others, at least that I know of.

I've heard the Yoshi and Akra Carbon and even the M4 Slip on. And have to say none of them have the same deep low growl that the Akra Ti produces. It sounds more "whole" where as to me the others sound still a bit muffled even with the baffle out. I work at a Dealership and have had plenty of FZ owners that pulled the trigger on the R77 and wish they spent the extra money and went with the Akra Ti. The Carbon Akra would be my second choice. If I had a penny for every Akra Ti I help sell i'd have... Well.. a few penny's... Haha

So... I'd say get the Akrapovic. but if you could. Get the Ti. Youtube serves no justice to how incredible it sounds. But then again this may be a biased review. So don't listen to me lol :)

I have heard both Akra Ti, carbon fiber and Yosh pipes. As far as the two Akra pipes are concerned there are differences in sound but IMO they're minimal. They both produce a raspy sound at certain rpm's from sound that resonates in the pipes so at speed they both sound cool and very similar. Removing the baffle will make a minimal difference in sound as well but it will sound a little lower tone/throatier and of course, louder but not a lot louder. They both are used in racing and the differences in h.p. and weight savings are very minimal so it really comes down to what your wallet and heart say. I think the titanium looks better but since the carbon was over $100 cheaper and sounded very similar I went with it instead. (I think it looks good as well)

I didn't go with the Yosh pipe, although it sounds good, because Akrapovic is the leader in race pipes and for the fact that the Yosh pipe loses noticeable torque at the low end because it has nothing to create back pressure. Although it's a straight pipe, it does help with max h.p. Compared to the Akrapovic pipe's it doesn't compare in low end performance, although it sounds good. The differences may be minimal but I want a pipe that gives me performance for my money, not takes it away. You have better torque on the low end with a stock pipe than you do a Yosh pipe, think about it. Most of my riding is under 50 mph. so Akra is the pipe for me. 

1. Akra Ti: Best sound, excellent performer.
2. Akra CF: cheaper than the Ti, good sound, performs like the Ti.
3. Yosh: cheap, good sound, least performance.

Mix of opinion and fact. The performance being the fact.

Beemer

Guest 2wheeler

Anybody have any direct experience with both the Akra carbon and the full length Arrow?

I have read enough to completely buy into the longer pipe is better idea which you get with both the Arrow for obvious reasons and the curly portion of the Akra carbon.

pineappleunderthesea
1. Akra Ti: Best sound, excellent performer. 2. Akra CF: cheaper than the Ti, good sound, performs like the Ti.
3. Yosh: cheap, good sound, least performance.

Mix of opinion and fact. The performance being the fact.
I went with the Akra carbon because I liked the way it looked with my red FZ-07...so you can chalk up vanity as another reason!  (I heard really good things about the Akra Ti, but liked the way the carbon sticks out).  As for Yoshi, I remember reading that it has a slightly more shrill superbike sound to it, as opposed to the more rumbly sound of the Akra.  That's another reason I chose the Akra.   

image_zpspa9msvce.jpeg

AlbatrossCafe
Removing the baffle will make a minimal difference in sound as well but it will sound a little lower tone/throatier and of course, louder but not a lot louder.
I disagree with this - I thought the difference in sound was extreme. It sounds multitudes better without the baffle (no more rasp, deeper pitch). It is not that much louder per say, but no baffle introduces a drone around cruising RPM that will vibrate your brain out of your skull after a while.

As for Yoshi, I remember reading that it has a slightly more shrill superbike sound to it, as opposed to the more rumbly sound of the Akra. That's another reason I chose the Akra.
I can verify this. I first heard the Yoshi and it was raspier and louder than the Akra Carbon, but that did not make it sound better (all with baffle-in).

Ever since someone told me the Akra TI looks like a tube worm or fluke worm or something I can't even look at it anymore. Nasty.

I have also seen that the Arrow is the best performing exhaust you can get currently for this bike. If you can get over how the FZ looks with the longer pipe, I would say go for that one but TBH performance gains will be negligible. Sound/looks will be noticed most.

Let's face facts, unless your running quarter miles or on the track, the performance difference between all these has no meaning. And you can't use the argument that it will make your bike "faster" than your friend with a different exhaust. I know people who will out ride dudes on R1s with an R6. It all boils down to WHAT YOU THINK LOOK THE BEST AND SUITS YOUR TASTE in your "bike build". So choose an after market exhaust that pleases both your eyes and ears (and wallet ☺ ) and call it a day! #MyTwoCents

What about the loss of torque with the Yosh pipe? Not that a different pipe will win you any races, it's just the idea that when you buy a "performance pipe" you should get gains in performance, not losses. Crazy thinking, I know. Just buy what you like.

Beemer

What about the loss of torque with the Yosh pipe? Not that a different pipe will win you any races, it's just the idea that when you buy a "performance pipe" you should get gains in performance, not losses. Crazy thinking, I know. Just buy what you like.
I don't have a yoshi pipe, but you think it's that noticeable going from stock to yoshi for the rider? (real question lol )

Where are you getting your info? The dyno charts I've seen they look damn close, nothing you would notice on the "butt dyno". 

pineappleunderthesea
Where are you getting your info? The dyno charts I've seen they look damn close, nothing you would notice on the "butt dyno". 
There's a video of these two guys riding around, one with a Yoshi. Once they trade bikes they notice how the stock pulls  harder. 

There's a video of these two guys riding around, one with a Yoshi. Once they trade bikes they notice how the stock pulls  harder. 
The one where the guy with the yoshi doesn't have an EJK and the other guy does? 

pineappleunderthesea
The one where the guy with the yoshi doesn't have an EJK and the other guy does? 
No, one is stock, the other has the Yoshi. Edit:  see around the 2:45 mark.  

Without tuning most exhausts will loose performance because they are built to flow more air.
But with a ecu tune it does make a difference especially in top end and mid range look at dyno from ecu tuner on the vendors forum.

If you read the description it doesn't have any fuel compensation. Bolting any exhaust on a stock bike won't work unless the fueling is corrected.

pineappleunderthesea
If you read the description it doesn't have any fuel compensation. Bolting any exhaust on a stock bike won't work unless the fueling is corrected.

That's right, no fuel mappIng in the video, I should have made that clear when posting (I thought we were comparing a "stock" Yoshi to a stock OEM exhaust). It's actually this vid that made me realize that I probably need a tune no matter what exhaust I buy. Without one it seems like it does lack some pulling power as compared to a stock exhaust. Maybe the Akra performs better than a Yoshi without a map due to the longer pipe, but I'd still get a tune.

• Premium Member

The one difference that I could see by the dyno graphs was that (after an ECU flash) the Akra seems to have more consistent torque across the mid-range RPMs, whereas the Yoshi appears to pull harder at higher RPMs -- but I'm no dyno graph readin' expert, so I may be really wrong.

Archived