The MT-07 Forum

Top Case

numbersguy

Before deciding on the purchase of a 2016 FZ-07 I'm trying to make sure I can get the after-market equipment that is critical to me.   I've decided on the National Cycle V-Stream tall touring windscreen, as I do mostly long distance riding, but have not yet found a top case that doesn't stick out like a "UFO" over the back of the bike - any recommendations for a relatively streamlined top case capable of holding a L full face helmet, probably in the 35 liter or larger size?

I don't believe any of the go-to suppliers have the configuration you're looking for which is the mounting plate to be located over the passenger seat. There are soft-bag solutions that do though - well whaddya know http://www.ventura-bike.com/Astro-Top-Box-VTB1432-B you can mount the plate either way. Don't know if the hard bag is quite the size you need though.

But isn't the point of a helmet to be either on your head or in your hand? It makes a great offensive weapon if you need to. It's not like you're not wearing your jacket and overpants too so a lid isn't out of place...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Here is my UFO. The 40L Shad case. You first need the Yamaha rack on the bike before getting this case, or any case for that matter.
The good look of that case is left to the owner's personal view, but for the only purpose of practicality, I can put in my full face
helmet and my jacket before I go inside a store or a mall.
The 40L is huge, and because of that, I rarely leave home without it.

R0002463-1_zpsscrk9a3v.jpg

Here is my UFO. The 40L Shad case. You first need the Yamaha rack on the bike before getting this case, or any case for that matter. The good look of that case is left to the owner's personal view, but for the only purpose of practicality, I can put in my full face

R0002463-1_zpsscrk9a3v.jpgI like that idea also,I have a Givi top case that I kept before trading my DL 650,might use it in the future but for now my Ogio  soft case is doing just fine.

• Premium Member

I know you specified a top case, but here is a thread showing the Shad Side cases just in case you hadnt seen them.

• 1 year later...

Here is my UFO. The 40L Shad case. You first need the Yamaha rack on the bike before getting this case, or any case for that matter. The good look of that case is left to the owner's personal view, but for the only purpose of practicality, I can put in my full face

R0002463-1_zpsscrk9a3v.jpg@cassecou  What helmet and jacket do you wear?  Just trying to figure out if the SHad 40 is going to be big enough or if I should go to a Shad 45?  I would be storing a shoei rf-1200 (Small) and Rukka AiRider jacket (Size 54) with full armor.  I can put my gloves into the helmet so that isn't an issue.  Also do you still like the case after a year of use?

• 2 weeks later...

My helmet is a Scorpion, but any helmet will seat inside the case.
The full armor might be an issue, depending of how flexible it is. My Alpinestar (summer) and my Joe Rocket (winter) jackets have factory armors and can be easily folded, along with their respective gloves inside the case.
I still love the case and never leave home without it. I guess, I really enjoy its practicality.

Do you have pictures of the case on the bike?
I got the idea from a different forum / website.  I believe that you are a member of the other website as I see the same picture of your bike in the thread dated 05-29-2015.  I did a google search for "Fitting a Shad SH40 to the MT-07" and will be following that as a guide.  Funny thing is ~ I do not have my bike yet.  It's sitting in Wisconsin, paid for in full, waiting for someone to pick it up and deliver to the shipping company in San Diego.  I expect to have the bike by end of January, but it's not looking great at this point.  The transport company has been "working" for 2 weeks to arrange truck transport to no avail.  I will be looking elsewhere starting tomorrow to get it picked up and delivered in time to ship.  I will post here with pics once I do the mod.  I plan on visiting my local dealer to check the pillion seat out if they still have the 2016 blurple FZ07 in stock.  Then I will mod the SW-Motech Seat rack to accept the Shad mounting plate and swap the pillion out for the Shad / SW-Motech before I even ride the first time.  This way I can store my helmet and jacket when I make a pit stop(s) on the ride home from the harbor (~110+ miles from port to home).

Do you have pictures of the case on the bike?
I got the idea from a different forum / website.  I believe that you are a member of the other website as I see the same picture of your bike in the thread dated 05-29-2015.  I did a google search for "Fitting a Shad SH40 to the MT-07" and will be following that as a guide.  Funny thing is ~ I do not have my bike yet.  It's sitting in Wisconsin, paid for in full, waiting for someone to pick it up and deliver to the shipping company in San Diego.  I expect to have the bike by end of January, but it's not looking great at this point.  The transport company has been "working" for 2 weeks to arrange truck transport to no avail.  I will be looking elsewhere starting tomorrow to get it picked up and delivered in time to ship.  I will post here with pics once I do the mod.  I plan on visiting my local dealer to check the pillion seat out if they still have the 2016 blurple FZ07 in stock.  Then I will mod the SW-Motech Seat rack to accept the Shad mounting plate and swap the pillion out for the Shad / SW-Motech before I even ride the first time.  This way I can store my helmet and jacket when I make a pit stop(s) on the ride home from the harbor (~110+ miles from port to home).
Unless yer planning on mounting the top box over top of the passenger seat, neither the seat nor the pegs/mounts will get in the way of the SW Motech rack, so you wouldn't have to "swap out". The other nice thing about that rack is it's also an easy thing to add the SW Mo/Yamaha bags - they are all designed to work together or alone.  
I have a really large seat bag that's just too big to fit on that small pillion pad. The SW Mo rack allows me to mount it mostly on the rack and then have what's left on the seat. 

Archived