The MT-07 Forum

Review of Icon Airmada Chainbrain Helmet

xdr

Icon Airmada Chainbrain Helmet Review

The Icon Airmada series is an intermediate helmet in the Icon line with the Airframe Pro being the top of the line. I had originally purchased an Icon Airframe (not the new Airframe Pro series) and had to return it due to it being too round of shape for my head. With that being said, the Airmada is a long narrow shaped helmet.

The price point of my Icon Airmada Chainbrain was sub $200 on closeout at RevZilla, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-airmada-chainbrain-helmet . I also purchased the Icon Airframe helmet from them and I can say their staff is top notch and made the research, purchase and return process a breeze.

The Icon Airmada is an injected molded poly shell and holds the various certifications that are recognized internationally. It was shipped with a clear shield and has many other colors that can be purchased separately. Most likely I’ll purchase a tinted or mirror shield for daytime riding. Also, Icon is known for having more shell sizes (actual helmet casing, not padding inside) which helps with weight and aerodynamics. With that you can also use padding from other sizes to help fine tune the fit if needed.

Airflow in the Airmada is good, although the only thing I can compare to is motocross helmets which are better since they don’t have a shield blocking air. This helmet is covered in vents and exhaust ports. The vents are easy to find, open and close with the helmet on. According to a RevZilla tech, the Icon Airmada has more airflow than the Icon Airframe but less than the Icon Variant. With airflow comes wind-noise, I ride without earplugs and just did a 250 mile trip with no ringing in the ears if that says anything. Is it silent, no… but it isn’t loud enough to be bothersome.

For the design of my Icon Airmada Chainbrain, I was looking at cost, if it fit the overall design of my bike, and style. I narrowed my choices down to three Airmada helmets and only two of them were available in my size. Next was cost, one was nearly $100 more than the Chainbrain and I couldn’t justify the cost for the design. Some cool things about the Chainbrain, it glows in the dark, all over the place there is glow in the dark elements! It has a mix of Jason and zombies, which isn’t quite my style but goes with the naked badass FZ-07.

So overall I will say I’m very happy with my purchase, and get compliments on the helmet all the time. As of now, there is not another helmet for the money that I’d choose over the Icon Airmada Chainbrain.

77746037-1631-4CD0-ABC7-E549CED11E14_zps4vgmslkf.jpg
icon-airmada-chain-brain-motorcycle-helmet-profile.jpg

At first I wasnt gonna let supporting vendors enter, but since everyone else is too lazy to write a 10 minute review for a chance to win $100, I have changed my mind. 
Thanks for entering the contest!
I'm afraid if I enter and win someone will scream rigged and I'll get beat up.

Beemer

"since everyone else is too lazy to write a 10 minute review"
"You are one lucky winning sob!"

Lazy?!! No one calls me lazy. It's on! 

Beemer

I was just looking at this helmet the other day, I am not a huge fan of the graphics on this one either but was debating on getting one and plastidipping it white or a mix of white and clear to try and keep some Of the glow in the dark, I highly doubt it would still glow but it'd be a cool effect. It'd be white in the day time and at night glowing zombie style something different.

Well I have a negative follow up on my helmet. While looking today I noticed a factory defect and not so happy with the warranty process so far. I had contacted RevZilla and they sent this back so far;

Once we receive your item at our Philadelphia processing center, we will make our inspection and contact you with the details of how your claim will proceed. Be on the lookout for update emails during every step of this process. Depending on the item, brand, and issue, it may be necessary to send this item to the manufacturer for evaluation and/or repair. Keep in mind that this warranty is provided by the manufacturer, and not RevZilla. It is up to their discretion if the issue is covered under warranty, and if they decide to repair, replace, or replace a component of the item. Manufacturer warranties do not cover defects determined to be caused by wear and tear, customer negligence, or a crash of any kind.

Which after, I contacted Icon directly with my concers;

I purchased my Icon Airmada helmet a month ago. Surprisingly I have experienced a manufactures defect that is apparent that others have as well. The rubber trim that is at the bottom of the helmet is peeling and sliding off of the helmet. This leaves me with a couple options, none of which I'm happy with. I can mail it back to the dealer (RevZilla) on my dime and be without a helmet for a couple weeks for warranty and most likely get a helmet back that will have the same issue. Or my second option is to do a repair of my own with a more reliable adhesive. While this helmet isn't Icon's top of the line, which I started off with but the shape didn't fit my head, it's disappointing to see that others have had this issue and it wasn't corrected on the assembly process. As of now, I was looking into the Icon Variant as a second helmet but this has me second guessing.

Now I understand that these are company policies and I'm disgruntled at this point. Mainly this is because the helmet is right around a month (600 miles) old and I'm already having issues.

• Premium Member
At first I wasnt gonna let supporting vendors enter, but since everyone else is too lazy to write a 10 minute review for a chance to win $100, I have changed my mind. 
Thanks for entering the contest!
My review took way longer than 10 minutes

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• 1 month later...

Both of the airMada rubatone helmets I bought (one for wifey, one for me) had the same issue. I pulled it off and it didn't bother me that much, but it is a pain to spend money on something and have it literally fall apart.
Since bought an airframe pro, so far so good... but it is a little round for this oval head guy. Gonna try to get some larger inserts to combat it.

Yeah I still havent fixed it yet, its been cold enough it hasnt gotten worse. Airframe pro I heard is a more round profile than the older ones. I couldn't stand the Airframe as I have a round head.

• Premium Member

Ive had the Spastyk Airmada for about 4500 miles and I haven't had any of these issues with it. I guess I should count myself as lucky.

I find the helmet is a bit loud although, its not super expensive ($280 when I purchased). It is a great helmet for the hotter months with all the air events.
[attachment id=1094" thumbnail="1]

Archived