The MT-07 Forum

Syncronizer screw driver

modmaster

What  are you using for a right angle screw driver when you sync your carbs? What brand do you have? Do you have to pay $75 for an adequate screw driver?

modmaster 

Milwaukee 1/4 in. Hex Offset Drive Adapter - $19.97

d12ede53-8cbc-4831-bab4-a9a666edff16_400.jpg

Takes various bits and is useful for other chores around the house.  Gear drive can handle power tool use.  May be available at your local Home Depot.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

The motion pro one is nice and skinny and easy to use, but that's all it's good for. You'd break it trying to put any serious torque on screw, and the flathead cannot be changed out.

The motion pro one is nice and skinny and easy to use, but that's all it's good for. You'd break it trying to put any serious torque on screw, and the flathead cannot be changed out.
Speaking as a mechanic, sometime you just have to suck it up and buy the specialized tool for the job and accept that it is only going to be good for that one job. I have more than one tool that I have had to make, or buy for a few random jobs on my BMW. It sucks that I had to buy them, but there was no other way to accomplish the job.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

And, you are NOT going to be putting much torque on the adjuster screw, unless I miss my bet by a mile!

• 3 weeks later...

Hot damn Terry, that is the sh*t!  Motorcycle-helmets-save-lives.jpg

— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Why are we talking about carbs on an FZ-07 forum. I bought this bike to get away from that evil!

(I also use the Milwaukee offset screw driver for my ninja's carbs. It's pretty handy. I don't even have to remove the carburetor to completely rejet)

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

When you endeavor to sync your throttle body, and opt to do it "by the book", you'll spend a half hour just getting covers and the gas tank out of the way. A few minutes adjusting it, and another half hour buttoning it back up. With these carb adjusting tools, you'll be in and out in ten minutes. That Bevel 90: Carburettor Pilot Adjustment Tool is gorgeous. Seriously skookum as some of our Canuck friends would say.

• 1 month later...

You must be the same "Ornery" in Ohio that I saw on Youtube doing the throttle body sync in your driveway.  I was totally planning on ripping my bike apart until I saw your video.  Really gutsy on first ride, first bike... now I understand your screen pic... you have to have the huevos to try something new to this extreme.   I have to admit, the FZ-07 is my first NEW bike at age 47, but have ridden various 2 wheel machines since age 14.  You, however, are the man my friend.  Thanks for the insight on not having to take your bike completely apart to do this required maintenance.

Milwaukee 1/4 in. Hex Offset Drive Adapter - $19.97 
d12ede53-8cbc-4831-bab4-a9a666edff16_400.jpg

Takes various bits and is useful for other chores around the house.  Gear drive can handle power tool use.  May be available at your local Home Depot.

I've used it. A good tool for the synch, and other tasks.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

You must be the same "Ornery" in Ohio that I saw on Youtube doing the throttle body sync in your driveway.  I was totally planning on ripping my bike apart until I saw your video.  Really gutsy on first ride, first bike... now I understand your screen pic... you have to have the huevos to try something new to this extreme.   I have to admit, the FZ-07 is my first NEW bike at age 47, but have ridden various 2 wheel machines since age 14.  You, however, are the man my friend.  Thanks for the insight on not having to take your bike completely apart to do this required maintenance.
Thanks for the comments Gooch, but credit for doing that sync in that fashion, goes to other members of this forum. It's because of their posts, and others on the web, that I opted to buy the FZ07. It was the most frugal, "bang for the buck" bike to buy at the time.  And, I'm too cheap to pay for someone else to do the maintenance, so back to this forum for tips on how to get it done. Been wanting to ride since I was a teen, but just after I got married, one fellow I worked with was killed on a bike.  Left behind the prettiest wife and a new baby.  My younger brother was riding a Harley to Sturgis when his best friend got killed on the way.  This cover was shot not long after back in the '70s:
      Wind_Cover.jpg
I figured I better leave bikes alone, at least till my kids were on their own.  Now that I have one, it turns out I'm not much like my brother, or most folks on this forum.  I strictly commute, and run errands with it.  I went for one ride with my brother.  He was thrilled, but riding with him consists of a few minutes of riding, and hours of gabbing with friends at bars and such.  Not my thing.
I do want to mention that one of your kindred spirits, Tyler Jane, has taken down the videos on her channel.  It would be nice if you guys contacted her to see what's up and how she's doing. 

When you endeavor to sync your throttle body, and opt to do it "by the book", you'll spend a half hour just getting covers and the gas tank out of the way. A few minutes adjusting it, and another half hour buttoning it back up. With these carb adjusting tools, you'll be in and out in ten minutes. That Bevel 90: Carburettor Pilot Adjustment Tool is gorgeous. Seriously skookum as some of our Canuck friends would say.
+1 for mentioning AVE. That dude is hilarious!

Archived