The MT-07 Forum

Stock exhaust

merc16

• Premium Member

So, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to buy an aftermarket exhaust and ecu reflash for my 07.I'm fairly content when I'm riding the bike. If it weren't for YouTube and sound clips of cool exhausts, I probably wouldn't even consider it. Is there anyone else out there with the same dilemma ?

I'm not buying aftermarket exhaust. With that said; I'm not crazy about the briggs&stratton sound either.

Would have been nice if Yamaha could have given them a deeper sound.

I love the design and look of the stock muffler.

• Like 1

only the young kids buy aftermarket exhaust to impress others. the money they spend on that and all the other garbage stuff they could of saved for their future. my stock bike is just as fast and as fun as the guy thats spends $2000 on aftermarket junk.

• Thumbs Down 2

I wouldn't call myself a young kid, and that is a huge generalization on your part. Just like any hobby, particularly with motor sports it's all about customizing to make it 'yours'.

I don't see anything wrong with people modifying to their liking. I think the stock exhaust leaves very much to be desired in sound and that is why I chose to go with a full aftermarket exhaust.

• Like 7

• Premium Member

Yea, I'm not knocking anyone for buying an exhaust. I have a full Muzzy on my Kawasaki ZRX but the reason for that is weight loss. That bike is heavy and my goal for it was a weight reduction. Most of the time, I ride with earplugs in. With them I can barely hear my Muzzy riding down the road. I completely agree with anyone that says the 07 stock exhaust is lacking in the looks department. If I did buy an aftermarket exhaust, I would probably leave the baffle in because I wouldn't want to loose any low end torque.

only the young kids buy aftermarket exhaust to impress others. the money they spend on that and all the other garbage stuff they could of saved for their future. my stock bike is just as fast and as fun as the guy thats spends $2000 on aftermarket junk.

Good job insulted more than half of the members on these forums. Even our Admin had an M4 exhaust on his FZ09. And I'm willing to bet alot of people on here with after market "junk" are in their middle age, in the prime of their careers not having to worry about saving for their future.

Ahh typing things out blindly with blanket statement ignorance must be great!  ::)

• Like 6

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

I'm probably 60/40 keeping the stock exhaust. On my 02 Sportster, it came with a K&N, jetted and Cycle Shack exhaust. It was LOUD and had a loss of low end. So, I found some unmolested stock mufflers and put them on. Seat of the pants dyno stated that the low end increased and less of a need to downshift going up steep hills. On my 90 Mustang 5.0 I had Flowmaster mufflers for the first 10 years and the last 5 years swapped over to some stock style. I was tired of the drone sound cruising down the road.

• Premium Member

My dream aftermarket exhaust for the 07 would have the stepped sections of the Graves, the loop of the Akrapovic Carbon and the muffler of the Scorpion titanium.

• Premium Member

I'm older than dirt. I replaced my exhaust with an Akropovic Ti. No ECU or fuel adjustments needed. I like the sound. I like losing 5 lbs off the weight of my bike. I like my bike, it's my hobby, my daily transportation, and funner than hell! Don't judge!

• Like 3

Why can't left turners see us?

all im saying is why does a motorcycle have to be loud to enjoy it? is your family car loud, probably not. most mature adults can understand what im saying.
also its been proven there is very little gain in power(maybe 1-2hp). some people say they get a loud exhaust so people can hear them, dumb excuse just keep your eyes open and use your head. ride safely my friends.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

On the contrary, my aftermarket exhaust has already saved me several close calls splitting traffic while it was bumper to bumper on the freeway. I just have to give it a little blurp and the drivers then move over slightly to allow me through. Even had a few creeping over toward me and let me tell ya, it's a hell of a lot faster giving the throttle a little blurp than looking for the damn horn button...not to mention more loud than the wimpy little stock horn. The bikes are lighter, faster and sound much better with an aftermarket AND my fuel mileage has gone up, not a tremendous amount but it all helps. I didn't do it for everybody to "Look At Me", I did it for me because I like every advantage it gave me especially the look I wanted to accomplish on the bike. I'm glad to hear you're perfectly happy with your stock exhaust, I just so happen to be perfectly happy with my aftermarket.

• Like 1

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

If you ride with hearing protection, the stock exhaust is inaudible. Pretty difficult to ride when the tach is out of sight and you can't hear what the engine is doing. Regardless, anyone who thinks an exhaust and power commander doesn't make a difference clearly hasn't run their bike with a quality exhaust and power commander.

Before I bought my carbon exhaust my stock exhaust was getting a little louder, not so much that people could hear it well but it was getting louder. With time it may have become acceptable to me but I doubt it more than not, with that catalytic converter trapping everything. In some ways I wish I hadn't spent all the extra $$$ on exhaust and the other things to go with it. It wouldn't sound bad-ass but then again sleepers usually don't. I suggest you leave it stock and be happy with it.

Beemer

Well I'm 36 so not young but keep telling yourself it's just as fast and fun as a properly tuned and suspended bike.
Not everyone has extra income but to straight up lie about what the bike is and can be without first hand knowledge is a disservice to the community.

only the young kids buy aftermarket exhaust to impress others. the money they spend on that and all the other garbage stuff they could of [sic] saved for their future. my stock bike is just as fast and as fun as the guy thats spends $2000 on aftermarket junk.

You assume much and know little. There are many reasons someone would have to fit an aftermarket exhaust apart from trying to impress other people.

Who are you to say your stock bike is as fun as mine? I know for a fact that my modded bike is more fun TO ME than my bike was stock.

Instead of talking down to the people who chose a different road than you, perhaps you could just accept that people have different goals and motivations in life, and that yours are the best for you, not the best for me.

all im saying is why does a motorcycle have to be loud to enjoy it? is your family car loud, probably not. most mature adults can understand what im saying. also its been proven there is very little gain in power(maybe 1-2hp). some people say they get a loud exhaust so people can hear them, dumb excuse just keep your eyes open and use your head. ride safely my friends.
"most mature adults can understand what im saying." Most mature adults don't condescend to tell others how dumb they are. 

Beemer

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
So, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to buy an aftermarket exhaust and ecu reflash for my 07.I'm fairly content when I'm riding the bike. If it weren't for YouTube and sound clips of cool exhausts, I probably wouldn't even consider it. Is there anyone else out there with the same dilemma ?
I'm keeping the stock exhaust, even though it's heavy and ugly. If I were to switch it, the scrumptious golden Yoshi pipes would be my choice. 
My cruiser came with Cobra streetrod open pipes and would set off car alarms three blocks away. I rode it like that for almost a year, had my fun and got it out of my system, then switched it over to stock exhaust. I like a quiet ride, especially for long trips.

If "you're having a hard time convincing yourself" to buy an aftermarket exhaust, then why do it? Your bike is yours; make yourself happy. The FZ07 is still a totally awesome bike.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

i could have lived with the stock exhaust-stock throttle response is pretty good-i ordered a akra ti a couple of months ago and i was just going to give up and keep it stock,but i was notified that the pipe will show up this week.so i ordered a pcv and a filter and see what gains i can squeeze out of it.half the fun of owning a bike is improving it.

all im saying is why does a motorcycle have to be loud to enjoy it? is your family car loud, probably not. most mature adults can understand what im saying. also its been proven there is very little gain in power(maybe 1-2hp). some people say they get a loud exhaust so people can hear them, dumb excuse just keep your eyes open and use your head. ride safely my friends.

Ha-ha. I'm cracking up :) Almost every statement in this is ignorant and condescending to an entire community "motorcycle riders"

1. I'm not at all young and I actually bought 2 exhausts. Yoshi and termignoni. I did this because I want an exhaust that I love to listen to while riding as its a big passion for me. Didn't do it at all for others.

2. I can save money and spend it at the same time.

3. I know for a fact that your stock bike is much slower, much less fun, and not as smooth riding. I have the top speed test difference of my stock bike and upgraded bike on the same road under same conditions to prove this. Big increase in top speed. I have dyno charts showing a huge increase. I have the experience of muuuuuuch smoother ridiability after the 2wheeldynoworks flash.

4. My bike is not super loud. It sounds amazing. I ride with the really quiet silencer in and has a mellow super deep tone that's very satisfying. It doesn't piss off my neighbors and their house is really close to my driveway.

5. I'm not even sure what you're trying to comment on about the family car. Is your motorcycle your family car too? Do you strap all of your family on the back of it? Do you load up the family car with your family and go race around? It's apples and oranges you wouldn't do the same thing to both of them, that would be ridiculous.

6. Your statement about horsepower increase is completely wrong and uneducated. There are dyno charts on this website that show increases of approx 5 hp. That's a 7% increase in power, not to mention the more important dyno showing a full 10% increase in torque. That's amazing!

7. To prove I'm not some random troll, I'll go with you on the last point. Maaaaaybe someone was saved once upon a time by a loud exhaust. It's not likely to save your life. Seen it listed, I don't have enough evidence to support it or deny it. But it wouldn't be my reason for upgrading. But if one loud exhaust does save one person from getting hit, that's great!

The takeaway message here is almost everything that you wrote is offensive and or inaccurate. Let's build an online community where we can come, be nice, and contribute to each other, instead of making statements that are not founded in reality.

There's nothing wrong with keeping your motorcycle stock, and if you like it that way awesome, I'm super happy for you, seriously. But there's lots of benefits to be had to upgrading as well.

• Premium Member

In this age of electronic devices and NO attention while driving, it is our responsibility to be cautious. And we need all the help we can get. Can an aftermarket be louder and possibly annoying? Sure, but that's opinion. Will that volume increase make others more aware of your existence? Without a doubt, and that's not opinion.

Honestly, I think hi-viz gear is dorky as taped together glasses but I appreciate its purpose and won't resort to name calling those that choose to wear it.

Let's just avoid the performance discussion. That one is too easy.

Yes, I had that dilemma. When I bought my yoshi what seems like ages ago, I was like "was it money well spent?" In the end I loved the sound upgrade. I don't think you do this upgrade alone for the performance. It's the flash that really wakes up the bike. And the flash and exhaust together does so even more. 
I think if you are on the fence about just getting an exhaust and no other performance upgrades....well, you better love the sound because that's the main change you'll experience.

But, if you're on the fence about doing BOTH the exhaust upgrade and the flash, don't hesitate! You'll love it! :) :)

bigity
I haven't seen any statistics on whether a louder exhaust can save your life either so I think this subject goes to common knowledge, that people hear loud things better than quiet things. How can anyone know whether someone was about to change lanes but didn't because they heard a loud vehicle coming up beside them? I trust my knowledge from my own experiences and I think most do the same. I can't count the times I started to go into the passing lane and stopped myself because I 'heard', not saw, a vehicle there. (blind spots) I would say that at 75 mph. there's a good chance I saved a bikers or a cager's life by not side swiping them at that speed. Think about this, lot's of people that have side swiped and killed someone later said they didn't see the vehicle beside them which also goes to say they didn't hear it either or they would've swerved back before colliding and god knows how many dead people there are that can't stand up to say, if only they had heard me. I live in a retirement community so I get about as good a real life test as anyone is going to get. When I first got my bike I had no less than 5 old people cut into my lane (probably didn't see OR hear me) with me beside them but since the install of my Akra carbon I haven't had one person come into my lane. Sometimes the proof that something has an positive effect is the fact that nothing bad happens. (e.g.) A reclusive alcoholic quits drinking and his constant 'falling down' comes to an end. No one sees it, there's no proof, he's alone in his house but it's common knowledge that heavy drinking tends to make you fall down a lot so good ol' common sense tells us that sobering up has a positive effect on alcoholics. We all should know we don't always need written statistics to know the truth of something.

You're not a troll if you don't give Valtopps any credit, I truly believe he was wrong about that also and maybe HE's the troll. I would bet money he's smiling about all the ruckus he knew he would and did create. It's hard to believe anyone is that ignorant.

Whew!  :P Sorry about the wall of words but that's what it takes sometimes to make a valid point.

Beemer

Personally I don't think a loud exhaust will save you, I know when I drive a car I don't hear a loud
bike till it's to late, yes I hear them when they are at the side of me and once passed I can hear
them a mile away but near all the sound comes out the back, so you don't hear them until it's right on you,
so if your relying on a lot of noise to save you I hope you like hospital food.
I ride the 07 on a standard pipe and a Morini that as standard pipes but is loud enough to make your ears
ring even with plugs on a long run so tends to be only used up to 60 miles or so, don't see any difference in
how other divers react to it but ware a fluorescent jacket and a white crash hat and then you do notice them
move over as you come up on them.
As I am typing this we just had a low pass from 2 RAF Tornado fighters now that was loud.

ralph gets it , dont know why im getting bashed telling it the way i see it? im really not looking for attention or trolling. when i ride i see loud bike and there usually young kids riding them. people in there 40 + dont really care for loud bikes and wear fluorescent gear thinking of safty not impressing anyone, except harley guys. i like to listen to music while im riding not a loud pipe. this is my opinion thats all.