The MT-07 Forum

Engine guard fitment? (Hepco & Becker)

zombiphone

Has anyone else picked up the hepco & Becker engine guards for the fz07? I got some in this week and went to install them, only to find the bar on the left side interferes with the bike and it doesn't fit at all. The right should fit, but the left just doesn't line up right.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Is there something I'm missing here?

I'll post some pictures when I'm not on my phone

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

Scratch this- it just dawned on me what was blocking me. Didnt think about the concept that California vehicles always have emission stuff, and that's the canister that's in the way.

Well, if anyone else from California attempts to get a set of the hepco Becker bars for their fz, just a forewarning that they can't be installed with the emissions equipment on your bike. Gonna take a look at yanking all this nonsense and installing them anyways, cause I'm a rebel and shit

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• 2 weeks later...

I believe we spoke regarding this issue right? Everything went on fine after you took off that canister, correct?

I'm guessing/hoping anybody would be none the wiser with the slight mod, unless you were getting an emissions test.

Moto Machines
Importer and Distributor for Hepco & Becker and Ermax Products
https://www.motomachines.com/

Yep, that was me. Fortunately, as a club racer, I've spent enough time with race bikes to not care about anything that's just dead weight, haha. California doesn't currently smog test motorcycles despite their excessive emission laws, so unless I really, really piss off a police officer with very specific knowledge of the FZ-07, I don't see it being a problem. It was just a bit of unexpected extra work and required a little extra research.

Otherwise, the install was extremely simple. Once I got the charcoal canister out, it was literally about 10 minutes with a breaker bar, a 17mm socket, and a 6mm hex key socket, and I was done. They feel super beefy, and I've gotten a ton of compliments on them. I haven't tested how they perform yet (And I hope I never do), but I'm pretty extremely in love with how they look, and I feel confident they'll protect the engine and the tank. You can see them installed in this thread, if you're curious: http://www.fz07.org/thread/3709/project-0mbie-apocalype-photo-log :)

Awesome, thanks!

I'm glad you like the bars, I feel that it's a great combination that Hepco & Becker added on a crash pad with the engine guards; gives it a great look.

Moto Machines
Importer and Distributor for Hepco & Becker and Ermax Products
https://www.motomachines.com/

Archived