The MT-07 Forum

Exhaust...

Nitro

Am I the only one to get this kind of stain at then exhaust exit??    Is this normal ??

vsm9zm.jpg

Nitro...
No matter past or future...it's always better ride now !

• Premium Member

My friends FZ09 has a tonne of that stuff around his exhaust tip. I was starting to get it but then got a new exhaust. Seems like a normal thing. Always wipe the dark discharge from around the hole though so it looks clean

• 3 weeks later...

Do you guys let the bike sit and idle for any length of time to warm up?

That's a combination of soot while running a bit rich and water vapor ( combustion of hydrocarbons = CO2 and water )

If that's the case, then you might try just letting it run a couple minutes max and then driving easy until it's up to operating temp. I don't see anything like this goo on mine - even the inside of the pipe is pretty clean, my aprilia as well

• Premium Member

This is absolutely normal. This is condensation or moisture from the exhaust when it first starts before it get to normal operating temperature. I just start my bike and take off but i don't get on it for a few minutes until it warms up. There's nothing wrong with doing this as everyone does the same thing in their car. There's no difference.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

NOT just limited to my bikes... but, if a problem the end can be masked off and a very high temp black paint applied. Rust-o-leum makes one good to 1000 degrees F I've used for such things.

If you want that black stuff gone, I have been using the StarTron fuel stabilizer every time I fill up.

I've noticed since that my exhaust doesn't have the black residue at the end anymore.

I always follow the suggestion on the back of the bottle and have had no issues at all.

fooschnickens
Do you guys let the bike sit and idle for any length of time to warm up? 
That's a combination of soot while running a bit rich and water vapor ( combustion of hydrocarbons = CO2 and water )

If that's the case, then you might try just letting it run a couple minutes max and then driving easy until it's up to operating temp. I don't see anything like this goo on mine - even the inside of the pipe is pretty clean, my aprilia as well

I typically only let it run long enough to get my gloves and helmet on. Probably a minute tops. If its cooler out I'll add my jacket to the mix, by that time the temp indicator switches from "Lo" anyways. You don't really need to let it run more than 30 seconds or so. Enough to get all the fluids moving around and the oil on the cylinder walls. 

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

When I first got the bike, I always followed the rule for long warm up before break in and it just stuck. So I let her run while I'm putting on my boots, jacket, helmet and gloves. She's at normal operating temp by the time I jump on and I know the whole engine has had plenty of oil run through the engine. I know I don't need to let her run that long, just became habit. With the aftermarket exhaust and EJK, I noticed a complete lack of black stuff around the exhaust.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

That stuff is either going to be on your exhaust or on you lungs. For the exhaust use WD40. For your lungs .... just wait for death to catch up ???

Archived