The MT-07 Forum

Derestricting the LAMS MT07 Australia

gregjet

p><p> <a href=https://preview.ibb.co/c6qwsv/Front_of_throttle_bodies_and_restrictor_ledges_removed_Copy.jpg' alt='Front_of_throttle_bodies_and_restrictor_ledges_removed_Copy.jpg'>[/a]

I also made a new proto type airbox cover and made some panels to help keep the engine hot air away from the inlet.
DSCN0977.jpg

The bike is totally different. So much more responsive. power appears to be substantially more. Will have to get dyno run to confirm arsedyno results.
Pic of proto air inlet and hot air diversion panels. I also cut the pointy bits off the airbox that don't do anything to make air box removal and replacement easier.
DSCN0974.jpg

The throttle plate derestriction:
DSCN0891.jpg

Dyno chart before air restrictor removal:
Note AFR above 6000rpm

dyno_graph_pre_and_post_restrictor_removal_5.jpg

Dyno chart post air restrictor removal:
Note AFR over 6000rpm
dyno_graph_pre_and_post_restrictor_removal_6.jpg

DYNO HP and Torque Chart post restrictor removal:
There is no real torque increase as the max torque point is below the rpm where the restrictor starts to choke the motor. That's partially how I found where the problem was.

dyno_graph_pre_and_post_restrictor_removal_7.jpg

The bike is a completely different bike to ride. It now rides like a 650cc twin with a 270deg crank, akro pipe, and a DNA filter SHOULD ride. ECUWest who did the original ( actually ORGANIZED the reflash as they couldn't do it at the time but can now) say now they can reflash them themselves they can get even  more out of the reflash so it is now really worth doing.

PLEASE NOTE:!!!!!!!!
IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER AND/OR IF YOU HAVE NOT FIXED THE SOFT SPRUNG REAR END DO NOT DO THIS MOD!!! The MT07 has a few quirks that make this bike not really suitable for beginners anyway and this will make them worse. The power increase is going to heighten the rear weight bias problems and make the front even more vague in corners.
If you are a heavy loaded tourer this mod is worth doing probably as you will be running bigger airflows at lower rpm even without the reflash.

• Like 3

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 3 weeks later...

Nice write up! Do you ever worry about the Funnel Web Spiders there in Australia? I usually don't worry about spiders but those things are the worst!

[attachment id=948" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

I'm guessing if one didn't want to 'do the Dremel' a US/EU spec intake tube would fix that right up.
Yam parts 1WS-14469-00-00 and 1WS-1446C-00-00 I reckon.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I suspect you are right, Pattonme, but the intake stacks are glued into the holes. Probably can be unglued ( don't know for sure), but dremelling them was free, and as I wasn't positive of the experiment's worth before I did it , I took the course I did. Also allowe me to match the holes to thethrottle bodies and the throttle bodies engine mating side and rubber manifolds to the head intakes. The head/manifolds are actually not that well matched, and seeing I was already there ... with a spinning dremel....
Pattonme's point is well taken if you wish to return the bike to LAMS spec though. Thanks for the part number.

No Funnel webs in Queensland. Primarily a NSW fauna. We do have redbacks. We have lots of nastier things though including the top 5 deadliest snakes in the world. And 2 types of deadly jellyfish.

• 3 weeks later...

Great job and detective work! Haha i trimmed the throttle plate down to achieve full throtle and installed a power commander so far with a custom exhaust and k&n air filter with snorkel removed.
I cant wait to see how it goes with this mod aswell. Cheers

You will not believe it is the same bike. This is not an exaggeration...

• 8 months later...

Just a heads up
HO Air tubes $35 each
The HO intake joint is $15 each
ECU $550

Reflash so far $475-495

Then add pipe of choice
Air cleaner of choice

Would be great if the reflashing wasn't so high

Thanks to gregjet for derestricting info.

Excellent additional info, twotone. VERY useful.
As Pattonme points out earlier buying the HO stacks would allow you to return it to legal/stock(ish) when you sell it. Don't forget the throttle stop though.
AND AGAIN, IF YOU AREA GENUINE BEGINNER RIDER DON"T DO THIS> Learn to ride first. Then If you decide to keep it do it. When you feel that it just isn't picking up fast enough to stand the bike up in a corner...maybe then...and only then.

• Like 1

There's some bargains to be had with lams model (as low as $AU7K)
One could do a budget pipe and the above mods and turn it into a tiger- for those not wanting to pay for the HO. Still the reflashing is a killer?

That was my thought as well. Well that and Yamaha lied about the proper bike NEVER coming to Australia. Don't believe Yamaha about anything any longer

• Global Moderator
Greg Is there any place that reflashes at a better price?
$500AU is insane

2wdW is 500$au?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Greg Is there any place that reflashes at a better price?
$500AU is insane

2wdW is 500$au?

No, our local guys☹️

• Global Moderator
2wdW is 500$au?
No, our local guys☹️
After a google conversion... its AU$ 370 for the 2WDW flash... but shipping might be a hassle

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I got mine done by ECU West early last year. There is a Sydney place who I can't remember, that seems to have some credibility on the Aussie forum. It was just over $500 including postage and insurance.
BUT you get what you pay for. Just the loom hardware for reflashing was about $1200 I was told.
Some on the Aussie facebook have a connector and software that allows you to tune your own I think . I am reasonably happy with mine and have moved on to another project so I am not taking a lot of notice anymore. I stay on the forum to keep an eye out for any developing problems and gear that may become available.

Hi gregjet, I just bought my mt07 (LAMS model) a few months ago and have been thinking about a ecu reflash when I get my open class licence. is the ECU west place in WA? Also, do you know if it affects warranty or insurance? is it considered an illegal modification or is it one of those things that's looked down on but nobody really cares. sorry to ask so many questions but I haven't been able to get them answered properly. Thanks

There is a place in the east now that reflashes if you are on this side of the continent., The reflash by itself will not make the bike over the LAMS power/weight requirements.
Doing the throttle stop may. But doing the stack definitely will make it non LAMS. So if you are on you restricted DON'T do the stack...PLEASE.
The reflash will make the bike throttle smoother and more controllable so it IS worth it if you are a beginner. The jerky throttle , in my very considered opinion, makes this bike completely unsuitable as a beginner bike , especially when combined with the soggy suspension. They are what makes the bike wheelstand all over the place, even when you aren't trying to. It also improves the fuel economy.
My recommendations in order of importance:
Reflash
Rear suspension
Front suspension
Tyres
Once on opens:
Throttle stop
Stacks ( ONLY IF you have done the suspension)

I make no comments on the legality (or otherwise) nor the insurance. And yes they do care and it can have consequences.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Greg, much appreciated. I'm in Perth so if its the ECU West in Port Kennedy then that works for me. I've been thinking about just doing the reflash for the moment just to get a pit more power out of it. I'm not exactly what you would call a jockey (6'5 and a good 135kg) so I wouldn't mind a little extra. Is the stack what increases the torque? Thanks again for the information and your advice. I'm still pretty new to this so everything helps.

The air inlet "stacks" have a large cross-section restriction ( it's only 40% of the area of the throttle bodies) and also it is a design that causes huge turbulence behind it ( effectively a plate hole which is the worst flow you can construct).
If you look at the before and after dyno graphs, the big gain is in HP at the upper end. Max torque is lower rpm and not overly effected by the restriction. There is big increases in torque above 5000 but not to greater than the lower max. Effectively you get a flatter , more useable torque curve. This is a function of the cams I would be pretty sure.
If you are at ECU west , could you mention me and ask if the current table is worth getting mine updated ( mine was the first aussie mt07 LAMS done here as far as I know) and let me know what he says.
If you are going to do the stacks then the order if you are doing all of them in order of dependence is exhaust, air filter, throttle plate, stacks then reflash last . Reflash always last as the final tables will be dependant on all the previous.
Again I wouldn't do the big HP gains WITHOUT fixing the suspension front AND back, ESPECIALLY at your weight

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

OK finally found the original pics that had been linked to photobucket. Here they are showing the original stacks and the mod.

You can see the very poorly shaped restriction aperatures and the simple fix.

REPEAT AFTER ME: I will not do this if I am a real beginner.

I will not do this if I haven't fixed the suspension first.

DSCN0966.JPG

Front of throttle bodies and restrictor ledges removed - Copy.JPG

Thanks gregjet. What would you recommend in terms of suspension available in AU? I bought an exhaust a few months back and i think the suspension is the next thing i want to upgrade.