The MT-07 Forum

Custom FZ-07 seat made for those long rides

username

• Premium Member

New seat. What are your thoughts? Sorry for the potato picture quality I can get better pics if anyone cares enough to see  :D

• Premium Member
Looks good to me. Too bad i can't test it out for you tomorrow when i go on my trip
How long is the ride gunna be?

• Premium Member

Holy frack that's a long trip! What did you do to your bike to prepare? What's your item list that your bringing too? I'm doing a 700km trip tomorrow one way so I'd like to see if there is anything else I can get to make the ride a bit more comfy.

• Premium Member

I started with getting saddle bags but took them back because I don't want to chance splitting lanes with them not knowing how wide i'll be. I have a good size backpack with a mini backpack that attaches to it. It has a waist strap and sternum strap that will take the load off my shoulders to make a more comfortable ride. Other then that just went over the bike to make sure everything is good fluid and mechanically fit. Got a mini bike pump, tire plug kit, chain lube, spray cleaner, clear visor and a few pieces of clothing items.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks thicker toward the back where it really needed it. It's noticeably puffier all around so I'm sure it will make a difference. Did it add about an inch to your seat height?

Beemer

• Premium Member
It looks thicker toward the back where it really needed it. It's noticeably puffier all around so I'm sure it will make a difference. Did it add about an inch to your seat height?

Ya about that maybe a little less because you sink in after a while. You sure notice the ride height difference though my word! Used to it now though and it is so much comfirmed that it's worth it.

Ya about that maybe a little less because you sink in after a while. You sure notice the ride height difference though my word! Used to it now though and it is so much comfirmed that it's worth it.
That's good to hear. An unhappy arse will turn a persons day into sh*t real fast. Do you know if they used any gel for padding?

Beemer

• Premium Member
That's good to hear. An unhappy arse will turn a persons day into sh*t real fast. Do you know if they used any gel for padding?
No gel for padding. I did ask about gel though because I thought it was a good way to go also. He suggested the grey foam instead. I don't think gel actually softens up as you ride and just stays the same firmness. Foam contours to you after sitting on it for a bit which helps with comfort and holds you in place. I could be mistaken for I have yet to ride with a gel seat aside from on a pedal bike. The upholstery fellow duct taped memory foam and the grey foam to my seat to test them both out. Memory foam was too soft. Grey foam was firm but after about 20 minutes you really dig in and mould the seat to your buttocks. Felt kinda dumb riding around town with a big chunk of foam crudely duct taped to my bike but it did help with the decision. Would recommend doing this if anyone goes to an upholstery place. But the name of the added padding was "GREY FOAM". Not sure if that's the actual name but that's all he called it.

Yesterday I had a piece of grey foam in my hand thinking Id love to re-do my own seat. It's very dense stuff; this piece was only 5 inch square and 3/4 of an inch think. I bet if I stood on it, it would not completely compress yet it is pliable. Ill bet that's what was used. Memory foam would likely be too squishy. I have big piece of that. I actually cut a queen sized memory foam mattress down to a twin. Easy to do with an electric steak knife. Maybe Ill search for a donor seat this winter. The stock one is only good for about 90 minutes for me.

jerryv username

I agree memory foam alone (a full inch or more) can be too soft/squishy and not give any support and gel alone would be too hard but I found a combo Gel/memory foam insert (a 1/2" of each) that shouldn't be too squishy and give support. The gel does give a little, it's not rock hard so it should work well for support but it doesn't break down as fast as regular foam does. The manufacturer says they found the "sweet spot" with the degrees of thickness for each material and all the people that reviewed it said they liked it. One guy said "he did a 1700 mile road trip in comfort" - that says a lot! I still haven't decided what to use, though. Some good, firm foam like Jerry has would probably be cheaper and work well. Username, when you say "added padding" you don't mean they put it over top of the original material, but took the original material out, right? I'm sure I know the answer but I had to ask to be 100% sure. It's all in the wording.

http://www.amazon.com/CONFORMAX-Motorcycle-Seat-Gel-Pad/dp/B00KRL4VIY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09S1HV7RCDYDWJJTE708&dpID=41ETs-I%2BGnL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

itch808Sep 6, 2015 at 9:18pm

Where did you get the seat from and how much did it set you back?

Beemer

• Premium Member
jerryv username 
I agree memory foam alone (a full inch or more) can be too soft/squishy and not give any support and gel alone would be too hard but I found a combo Gel/memory foam insert (a 1/2" of each) that shouldn't be too squishy and give support. The gel does give a little, it's not rock hard so it should work well for support but it doesn't break down as fast as regular foam does. The manufacturer says they found the "sweet spot" with the degrees of thickness for each material and all the people that reviewed it said they liked it. One guy said "he did a 1700 mile road trip in comfort" - that says a lot! I still haven't decided what to use, though. Some good, firm foam like Jerry has would probably be cheaper and work well. Username, when you say "added padding" you don't mean they put it over top of the original material, but took the original material out, right? I'm sure I know the answer but I had to ask to be 100% sure. It's all in the wording.

http://www.amazon.com/CONFORMAX-Motorcycle-Seat-Gel-Pad/dp/B00KRL4VIY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09S1HV7RCDYDWJJTE708&dpID=41ETs-I%2BGnL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

itch808Sep 6, 2015 at 9:18pm

Where did you get the seat from and how much did it set you back?

No they left the original Yamaha foam and basically threw the grey foam on top. $220.00 from CY upholstery in Fort Saskatchewan. Which is still a heck of a lot cheaper than those Corbin seats which IMO don't look good at all. 

username
If $220 made it comfortable then it's money well spent, no matter how or what material they used. I agree about the Corbin, that style of seat is ugly on an FZ-07 and belongs on cruisers like the Kawasaki Vulcan. I went for a ride yesterday and bumped into the guy that owns the upholstery shop I visited awhile back (M&D Upholstery I think). We talked about gels vs. foams for padding over a beer and I just may go ahead and pay him the $200 he's asking. He said he uses a gel that's real soft, unlike the stiff gel slabs you usually see advertised, he said those suck for comfort, that they're too hard. He said he only uses a 1/2 " of the real soft stuff and I didn't think to ask him if he uses that alone or under the existing foam. I'm betting it's the latter, seems just an 1/2" would be too thin by itself, I could be wrong. I'm suppose to call him at some time today to get things rolling so I'll ask him then.

Beemer

• Premium Member

If your unsure just duct tape the stuff to your bike and cruise for a bit. i feel like the sporty shape of the seat would still be very evident with the gel which would be good. not bulged like mine

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gray foam Huh? I might do this as my next mod. I'm only good for 30 to 45 minutes and I have to get off to let my butt recover.

My ST1300 seat was done by Spencer. http://www.greatdaytoride.com/faq.html It was an improvement.

Might check with him if he's done an FZ-07 yet.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• 5 months later...

Archived