The MT-07 Forum

noob question

therealdeal85

therealdeal85

as a new rider i know i have a lot of learning to do but i noticed, that on my FZ when I'm shifting the lever is so far away from my hand that sometimes i don't get it fully pulled in and i can definitely notice a difference in smoothness when i do and when i don't. My questions would be what damage could this do? and how could i prevent from doing this further? and also is there anyway to get the clutch lever moved closer to my hand. Thanks in advance for you help. it is greatly appreciated. 

• Premium Member

+1 for the new levers. You can get the Chinese ones that are of relatively good quality for under $30 shipped.

crescentwrench

This can ultimately be very damaging to your bike, because not pulling the clutch lever in all the way (to the point that it's rough/jerky) means you're probably not disengaging the clutch all the way while you shift, and that would cause grinding of gears. All bad things to do to your bike and expensive things to replace or fix once messed with too much.

So another +1 for new levers ASAP, if it's that difficult/uncomfortable as is. No reason to make you or the bike suffer.

Get shorty levers.

I have a rule when it comes to motorcycle parts and ebay. If your life depends on it, don't ebay. Levers fall under that category.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

The friction point on the clutch lever is right at the end of the throw on these bikes, so you don't really need to pull it all the way in the engage/disengage the cluth. I use 2 fingers when I shift and the other 2 stay on the bar and act like a stop. Shortens the range I need to pull the lever and I can shift faster and smoother that way. Sounds more like an issue with timing the release of the lever and rolling on the throttle that's causing it to be less smooth.

• Premium Member

+1 Pazzo Levers.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived