The MT-07 Forum

Bike not level when on rear stand?

stix

So I bought myself a pitbull ss stand a couple weeks ago and have noticed that my bike is never actually level while on the stand, it has a slight lean towards the right when on the stand, which drives my OCD nuts. Is this to be expected with stands so that you have easier access to the chain? it is slight but still noticeable when just looking at it, which is what drew me to bust out the level. I do feel that it's still stable as I have shook the bike while on the stand to ease my mind...but still the idea that it shouldn't be that way is irritating. Should I contact pitbull and see what my options are, or am I just over reacting and not worry about it because it's normal. Anyways any info helps!

bmwpowere36m3

Maybe floor isn't level... or the stands pads aren't the same height or the pads aren't in the same spot on both sides of the swingarm.

Garage floor is level, and i'm pretty careful about where it is on the swingarm. I'm kinda thinking the culprit is a rogue weld on one of the reversible L brackets for the pad. I'll prob shoot em an email tomorrow and see if maybe I can get a different one sent out.

bmwpowere36m3

Put a level across the pads and see... All I know is my bike doesn't sit perfectly either. It's probably a combination of floor, stand and bike. However it's not something I notice, unless I stare at the front/rear of the bike and it doesn't affect it's stability.

When I was stringing the bike for alignment, I had to put about 1/4-1/2" worth of shims under one side of the stand to plumb the bike.

• Premium Member

It must be normal, my stand is not a pitbull but the bike also leans a little to the right. positioning the front tire changes it a bit but it really doesn't bother me.

• Premium Member

Worst case is that it is caused by the swingarm or frame being out of alignment, in which case, (unless you caused it by crashing), it should be covered under warranty (assuming it's still in warranty).

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Same rear stand, my issue is way noticeable, one of the rear stand lift thingy is shorty than the other and causes my bike to be way to leaned one way, doesn't bother me much, just kinda annoying it isn't quite right.

bmwpowere36m3
If many of the posts on bike forums are for real then the posters should not really be riding a powered 2 wheeler.
Well... the price-point of the FZ-07 definitely attracted a lot of new/young riders. Either lack the experience, lack mechanical know-how or sometimes common-sense. And I'm not being hard on young people (I'm only 29 myself), but I find the "next" generation can't seem to think for themselves, turn to the internet for ALL answers (I've seen posts on Reddit, "what should I wear".... really?), etc...
I'm a tinkerer, I like to take things apart and put them together.  Sometimes you just need to take something apart or try to and learn.  Granted you might break a few things or get frustrated... but you'll learn for next time.

Most of what I know of working on bikes has come from forum members or youtubers making "how to" videos or picture heavy posts, combined with 2 decades of tinkering with cars trying to make them faster than the next guy (a fools errand I have learned)

Archived