The MT-07 Forum

FZ 07 stock tire milage

djdiddles

• Premium Member

Hey everybody! I was planning on taking a road trip to California from Austin next week on my FZ07. I have the stock Bridgestone rubber on my bike with about 4500 miles on them and they are in pretty good shape still. I wasn't sure if I could get another 4500 out of them or not so I figured I would ask you guys and see what you all were getting on your tires.

This is my first road bike so it's kind of hard to judge what kind of life I would get out a tire. Just trying to get a feel for what is typical.

I have just under 4k on mine and they look great. I went to a Bridgestone site to see what people that have had them longer had to say and it varies so it may depend on how you ride. The rubber on them seems to be quite hard so if you don't ride real aggressive they should last for the trip, IMO. 

MR.

Extremely pleased with overall performance...but what is amazing is that I have over 13,000 miles on a set of BT 023s on my 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250! These tires just last forever!!!! Replacing them next week with another set. I definitely recommend these for any sport/touring bike.

Attila - August 27, 2012

GREAT PERFORMANCE, SHORT LIVED

Mounted these on my 08 FJR1300. The fronts held fairly well when new and pushed hard and the rear was predictable when losing grip under hard acceleration in steep lean angles. I did not like the wet traction as grip seemed to go away suddenly and the front felt unsure. I liked these tires, for about 2000 mi, and the fronts were absolutely wasted at 3k. Steering got really heavy and hard to tip the bike in. Rear lasted almost to 5k, but was almost slick. Pilot 2's much better.

Aaron - March 14, 2013

Beemer

• Premium Member

thank you very much for letting me know the range people are getting with the tires! I was slightly concerned since I hear different things from different riders. They are said the same thing: depends on how you ride.

I really appreciate it!

Mine as Bridgestones and is at 7000 now with at least 2 maybe 4,000 to go, front is looking like 12,000
or so and I tend to eat fronts.

I've got just over 10k on the stock Bridgestone BT-023, and they're probably good for another couple thousand

• Premium Member

You'll be just fine. I have a little over 5K on my OEM PR3's. The good thing is you have a common size tire and can always get another tire installed on the way if needed.

• Premium Member

Over 13K on the OEM Bridgestones. But it is true – All depends on how you ride and where you ride.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

10,000 miles on mine all highway so it has the I never take it in the corner look. I'll get a new tire next year

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

i'm at 4500 on the bridgestones and almost at the wear bars. guess i like to accelerate to much. sliding the rear probably doesn't help. 

• Premium Member

Am I the only one here whose bike came with Michelins instead of Bridgestones???

• Global Moderator
Am I the only one here whose bike came with Michelins instead of Bridgestones???
Nope, mine too came wih michelins. Went 10k on my set, still had an easy 3k left on them. But there was a bad vibration developing around that mileage. I decided to swap em out instead of living with the bucking bronco type vibration.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator
Thanks, sorkyah, for the reply.
There was a poll a while ago about which tires people had on their bikes.  

I swapped my stock bridgstones just after 10k miles. I just put Michelin Pilot Road 4s on.

I'm 260lbs without gear, plus a 30lb backpack, plus helmet/gloves/jacket/etc. 95% is commuting upright, so rather than distributing the wear to the edges, it was mostly concentrated to the middle. Also, with the hooligan factor that the bike provides, I do a lot of aggressive starts and stops.

I imagine if you're less than 300lbs loaded, and you get to use more of your tire real-estate more often, you'll get well over 10k miles.

• Premium Member

thank you to everybody to posted this information! It has really helped me out in judging my tread life of a tire.

I swapped my stock bridgstones just after 10k miles. I just put Michelin Pilot Road 4s on. 
I'm 260lbs without gear, plus a 30lb backpack, plus helmet/gloves/jacket/etc. 95% is commuting upright, so rather than distributing the wear to the edges, it was mostly concentrated to the middle. Also, with the hooligan factor that the bike provides, I do a lot of aggressive starts and stops.

I imagine if you're less than 300lbs loaded, and you get to use more of your tire real-estate more often, you'll get well over 10k miles.
this is basically me minus the pack and mostly highway miles with weekend corner carving and the middle looks like a skunk at about 8k and ill probably get another 1k out of them , The sides are scuffed up but still trustworthy but about 10k is what i can expect might goto some q3's next.. also i plugged it at about 500 miles on the rear .. no issues if i let it sit for more than about 3 days its a little low but not unrideable just hit it with about 5 pumps out a bicycle pump and im off

• Global Moderator

This is me in a nutshell, though as i stated above i had the pr3s to start off...

how many miles have you put on your pr4s so far? I got the GT set and after 2500 miles they still look almost brand new. Was wondering what the regular set might wear like

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I probably would have gotten 12k out of stock Michelins but I changed to pilot power 3's. Rear went flat so I changed over to the more aggressive tire but tire life doesn't bother me as they are basically free for me. Would rather have the extra cornering grip than wear life. I also live riding distance from roads just as epic as deals gap. And riding distance to deals gap if I wanted to fight the traffic.

@sorkyah I'm only 500mi in and don't really see any wear yet. They're barely scrubbed in right now. I need to get to the twisties more often to get more life out of the tires, instead of wearing a flat edge. It's sad changing tires when there so much meat left on the sides.

• Global Moderator
I probably would have gotten 12k out of stock Michelins but I changed to pilot power 3's. Rear went flat so I changed over to the more aggressive tire but tire life doesn't bother me as they are basically free for me. Would rather have the extra cornering grip than wear life. I also live riding distance from roads just as epic as deals gap. And riding distance to deals gap if I wanted to fight the traffic.
Showoff :P i thought you worked for BF-goodrich?

@sorkyah I'm only 500mi in and don't really see any wear yet. They're barely scrubbed in right now. I need to get to the twisties more often to get more life out of the tires, instead of wearing a flat edge. It's sad changing tires when there so much meat left on the sides.
get on it... lets see those tires worn out by the end of the year :P 

Got a nail through my rear tyre today,
out with the tyre pluger and back on
the road in about 15 min got a Continental
that's the right size in the garage so that
will be going on at the first sign alls
not well.

• 10 months later...

I'm 5'10" and about 165. I've just rolled over the 7,500 mark on the OEM Battlax's and mine look like they may run me to 10k but the wear bars are definitely leveled up. Lots of agressive starts/stops, hard cornering and wheelies as often as I can get away with them. They've been good tires and have worn rather evenly on these winding KY roads but I'm looking at some new rubber as we speak lol.

Those are some good mileage. I'm used to replacing my tires around 3000-4000 miles. Then again I never really had any sport touring tires before. If I could get 6000 miles out of these Michelin Pilot Roads I would be happy. Anyone have the Michelin Pilot Road on their bikes?

Greatness

• Global Moderator

I have closed to 7,000 miles on my Bridgestones and they still look really good. I am planning on trying the PR4 next so if anyone who has switched to these can post their opinion of them I would appreciate it. Of course at the rate my tires are wearing I may end up getting PR5's :)

Archived