The MT-07 Forum

Monster 821

truthiness

Thinking about bikes to possibly purchase in a year or two. Has anyone ridden the monster 821? How are the ergos (I'm 6'1" and 187 lbs, if you're similar in build it would help in this category)? Comparison to the FZ-09? Would you go for a 1200 over the 821? Just a sounding board; thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.

According to the Ducati website they already had one in June near Atlanta. I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this bike.

• Premium Member

Why not just the street fighter? Pretty much the same engine displacement but looks a fair bit nicer

The engine character is different, and I don't prefer the more athletic riding position of the streetfighter

The 1200 for me ... gots dat bottom end bowel stimulation! The 821 is lacking low end torque/oomph, where's the fun in that?

[video src=https://youtu.be/tPffakpUC2k]

[video src=https://youtu.be/cgCfGq_TxB8]

Beemer

I love the 821. Granted I've never ridden one, but I was close to buying this over the 07, but with the price of the service and the bike as a whole, the 07 made more sense. I personally would get the 821 over the 1200 just because I love smaller bikes. I would take a 600 over a 1000 cc bike anyday. I would get the Dark too, but that's just me. I've sat on one and I'm 6' 1" and 205 lbs and it was comfortable. I can't comment on how it rides but all the motorcycle magazines seem to like it as far as I can remember.

I rode the 821 and the streetfighter in Atlanta on Father's Day.
The 821: more neutral riding position compared to the streetfighter, more aggressive than the FZ (but it's not too bad). The peg position causes a slight out turn of the heels (also, not that bad). The powerband and fun factor of the bike actually surprised me. The torque is good, the clutch isn't too stiff, suspension felt nice. The rear brakes were really soft, but I'm more of a rear braker on the FZ. Overall I was pleasantly surprised and thought it was nice. I rode the silk white which is also sexy.

848 Streetfighter: completely different animal. much higher seat height, more aggressive riding position. It's much more of a supersport with straight bars. They adapted the superbike to a "sport style" bike and tadaa..... streetfighter with bars. I loved it.

Archived