The MT-07 Forum

Insurance Prices

Guest brickst3r

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have my home, three cars, a boat and another motorcycle insured under one provider. I was told by the underwriter "there are a few key factors such as cc's, high performance, off road, dual sport bikes, or customized kit bikes that Acuity does not write". Wow. I suppose the "FZ" designation puts my bike in the "high performance" category? I tried to explain that this was a standard bike, but didn't get anywhere with that. I'm sure in time, that will change. In the meantime, I got on with Progressive for $601 per year. Still higher than I want, but I'm willing to live with it for now.

Guest unknown

coleman, check with State Farm. Since buying my bike and recommending them to everyone, they have been the cheapest 9 times out 20.

^^ Did that too. A local State Farm Agent told me that I had to have at least one other vehicle insured with State Farm in order for them to quote. Otherwise, they did not seem to be interested in my business....

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I am a loyal customer of Allstate and my policy has really high liability, comp and collision for $327.54 for 1 year. Ahhh, the bennies of being female!  ;)

Illegitimi non carborundum

Ugh. These prices are discouraging. Progressive just quoted me around $1600. I'm currently 25 years old, Male, with a clean record. I won't be in the market for one until next spring. Here's to hoping rates on this bike won't be so high by then.

I'm 23, brand new rider, Georgia resident with an intown area code. Dairyland quoted $847, but I had to go through a broker because for some reason, the online tool said they wouldn't cover a brand new rider.

$25/50/25 with full coverage and $1,000 deductible.

A couple of things, I learned that might help you guys out.

Dairyland...PLEASE Google them before signing up, I have never seen a company with worse ratings in anything...well, then I remembered I have Comcast :P :P

State Farm, the local agent here spent quite a bit of time explaining to me how the company is set up. They have TWO branches they will look at rates thru. If all you want is motorcycle insurance, you will get a higher rate as this is the branch of the company that does SR22, high risk vehicles...etc. By moving an auto over, your price will drop dramatically. I was quoted $65.00/mo for just the bike. I moved my truck over to them(which was the same price as Geico) and my bike insurance is now $400.00/year for the same exact policy

• Premium Member

For the medium amount of coverage, I think 50/100/50, with other than collision deductible of 1,000 Progressive quoted $705. Dairyland was around 285 but after reading reviews I decided not to bother. The lowest coverage with progressive dropped it to 300, 25/50/25 with no other options, but I don't want to be up a creek if that ends up not being enough coverage. What's your guys opinion?

25, clear record, msf course.. 2 yrs riding experience, not married (pfft, might as well be).

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
A couple of things, I learned that might help you guys out. 
Dairyland...PLEASE Google them before signing up, I have never seen a company with worse ratings in anything...well, then I remembered I have Comcast :P :P

State Farm, the local agent here spent quite a bit of time explaining to me how the company is set up. They have TWO branches they will look at rates thru. If all you want is motorcycle insurance, you will get a higher rate as this is the branch of the company that does SR22, high risk vehicles...etc. By moving an auto over, your price will drop dramatically. I was quoted $65.00/mo for just the bike. I moved my truck over to them(which was the same price as Geico) and my bike insurance is now $400.00/year for the same exact policy
Same here, Moved both my vehicles over to State Farm from Progressive as the payments and coverage were identical but the Yamaha is $437 a year through state farm, $720 with Progressive.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Guest MXRider

I'm looking at leaving Geico for State Farm too. Will be switching my truck and bike over. Been with Geico for a long time but money is money and I don't feel like paying a grand a year for the FZ.

Checked around and State Farm was the cheapest by far! Ended up moving my car and house over at the same rates and with adding the bike it only went up $4.00 a month. Would suggest checking them out, couldn't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just quickly glanced through this but I think I may win. 11 bucks a month with a 100 dollar deduct for full coverage. I go through USAA which I get to have for being in the military. Any military members should look into USAA though! I have a super clean record, but am only 26.

• Premium Member

Got progressive for 490/year.

Didn't include collision because it went into quad digits with it on the policy. $500 other than collision deductible and up to 70 miles roadside towing/assistance.

Happy overall, fair price with good perks. 25 years old, clean record.

Everything went braap.

I have multiple bikes, cars, home and am old all covered by Allstate. The Triumph Bonnie I traded off for the FZ was costing $87/year. The FZ will cost more, $156, because it is a new model on the market and there are no stats on who's buying them, wrecking them, etc. That's for full coverage with a $500 deductible.

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

• Global Moderator

I just got my declaration statement from State Farm. I was wrong about my premium. It is $235.70 a year, not $235.70 per six-months. I am rather pleased.

• 1 month later...

Owned my bike just over a week now. I had planned on getting insured with Markel who my policy on my Yamaha Roadstar is through and at a GREAT rate. I ran a quote with Markel and for some reason it was MUCH more than I had expected based on already having a policy with them that I have had for quite a few years ($500+/year for the FZ) I started doing quotes with other companies and all were higher than I wanted until I did a quote with Dairyland.

I ended up buying a policy with Dairyland because it was a great deal!
My coverage details:
50/100/25 liability
500 deductible for collision/comprehensive

$117.50 per year! includes discount for home ownership, AMA membership, rider course & previous motorcycle insured

Not sure why my Dairyland premium was so low ($117.50 PER YEAR!) but I will take it.

If you aren't a member of AMA (american motorcycle association), it might be worth checking out as they give a decent discount on Dairyland and include motorcycle roadside assistance.

Wow Dairyland has to be the worst quote that I have ever received. I pay 750 per year through foremost which is really good in my opinion for SoCal. I ran through the dairyland quote and they wanted 3800+ per year, absolutely outrageous, I will stick with foremost for that price.

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

I'm 27, the fz07 is my first bike. I have one speeding ticket from 9 years ago, and nothing since. I got quotes from Allstate, Progressive, and State Farm.
Allstate ~$1600/year
Progressive ~$1500/year
State Farm ~$850/year

All quotes included comprehensive coverage with a $500 deductible. The quotes also included medical coverage, trip interruption, and extra accessories. Needless to say I went with State Farm. The monthly payments are $71/month and drop to $8/month when/if I decide to store the bike for the winter. I don't think I have the heart to put her away and will probably end up riding around the neighborhood even if there's snow.

Archived