The MT-07 Forum

Dobeck EJK -- the way to go?

wong600

I'm noticing that Dobeck Performance's EJK seems to be the most popular fuel controller (if not the only one) reviewed for the FZ-07. That helps me make my decision. (I installed a Zard Exhaust this past weekend.) Those who have gone with EJK or other fuel controllers want to weigh in?

You'll see a strong presence of EJK and 2 Wheel Dyno Works ECU flashing on this forum as they are supporting vendors. Each option has its benefits and another controller to consider is the Power Commander V.

I went with the EJK, but that's before the flash for the ECU was available. I can only speak on behalf of the EJK, but it made a tremendous difference in the fueling on my bike with my exhaust (AKra-TI).
Im happy for now,,,,hope this helps Ya.

I did a long write-up on here a while ago on the three options (ECU flash, PCV and EJK). I'm not usually one of those "go try a search" Nazis, but seriously see if you can find my post. It should help you.

• Like 1

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I did a long write-up on here a while ago on the three options (ECU flash, PCV and EJK). I'm not usually one of those "go try a search" Nazis, but seriously see if you can find my post. It should help you.
Hey Aeisan, 
I would love to read that post! I tried searching for it under "ECU flash, PCV and EJK" and under your forum name but just couldn't find it.. can you give me a link?

• Premium Member

Some members have posted their experiences with the PCV and others. I can't find the posts but they're out there.

Biggest difference might be ease of use. Power commander's unit takes more work on your part and is not foolproof. The EJK is plug and play, very simple and fast.

And I don't believe any forum member has had an issue with a EJK unit.

Everything went braap.

Some members have posted their experiences with the PCV and others. I can't find the posts but they're out there. 
Biggest difference might be ease of use. Power commander's unit takes more work on your part and is not foolproof. The EJK is plug and play, very simple and fast.

And I don't believe any forum member has had an issue with a EJK unit.
Pretty much what I said back in April.  That, and price.  Gains too, but between a PCV and an EJK the difference in gains is minimal unless you're concerned with track times.   
One other pro for the PCV though, or set of pros rather, is the list of additional features it offers.  For example, the PCV has the ability to add additional sensors to it and can accommodate things like a quick shifter.  I'm not sure f that feature is actually available for the FZ-07, but I know it's an option for some bikes.  Moot point, obviously, if you can't get it for the FZ-07, but still a point that could be brought to light.  

I went with an EJK (I'm happy with it, it does what is claimed to do) but if I had known of flash tuning first I would've went with that instead. It appears it does more for the bike and it would get rid of that annoying, if not dangerous, stalling when taking off from a dead stop. Until I get a flash tune I will have to pay close attention to how I give it gas when taking off and it kinda sucks, you shouldn't have to do that with any bike.

Beemer

I went with an EJK (I'm happy with it, it does what is claimed to do) but if I had known of flash tuning first I would've went with that instead. It appears it does more for the bike and it would get rid of that annoying, if not dangerous, stalling when taking off from a dead stop. Until I get a flash tune I will have to pay close attention to how I give it gas when taking off and it kinda sucks, you shouldn't have to do that with any bike.
Do all FZ-07's have a stalling problem?  This is my first bike and I have owned it since June and I haven't stalled it once.  Maybe since this is the only bike that I have experience with I learned how to deal with it from the beginning?

Do all FZ-07's have a stalling problem?  This is my first bike and I have owned it since June and I haven't stalled it once.  Maybe since this is the only bike that I have experience with I learned how to deal with it from the beginning?
I can't say that all FZ's have it but a good number of people here have complained about it. It's just a hunch but it's a possibility that Yamaha became aware of the problem after making bukoo of them and corrected it. They wouldn't announce it if they did, I doubt. Maybe you have one that's been corrected, maybe not. It seems to happen if you blip the throttle just before you take off. I have to say it doesn't happen all the time. Mine does it every 3 to 5 hundred miles so maybe you've just been lucky so far. I hope it doesn't act up on you, though.

Beemer

I think most of the reported issues are defeated by the operator knowing how to operate the bike correctly.  That's just my opinion, but I have experienced dead on what most are explaining, and I can say for sure when it happened to me (maybe twice?) it was my fault.  It's not so much "improper" operation as much as it is getting familiar with the nuances of the 07.  

I went with the EJK, but that's before the flash for the ECU was available. I can only speak on behalf of the EJK, but it made a tremendous difference in the fueling on my bike with my exhaust (AKra-TI). Im happy for now,,,,hope this helps Ya.
I agree. I have the SC project Exhaust with the baffle in and the EJK made a huge difference. The bike is just more polished and smooth all around. The bike seems to have way more "snap" than stock with the baffle out but my ears just cannot take it since I spend so much damn time on the bike.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

EJK with my Ixil L3XB exhaust is a bit faster, louder and better fuel mileage as well. Took me a little while to get use to taking off from a dead start as she wanted to lift the front end a lot easier than before. I do understand what people are saying about the stalling issue, but like discussed previously, it's all about learning the bike, what she likes and doesn't like...much like a woman lol.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I donno know about that(i have ~10k mi on the bike now). The bike shouldn't stall in 3rd gear because you pulled in the the clutch in a quick stop scenario. Or stall off the line at red lights. It did all of the above alot for me. I'm not an FZ 07 evangelist or hater or anything like that.The bike is what it is and I nearly sold it because of this stalling thing. The stock fueling sucked(alot). The great news for me is that this doesn't happen anymore with the EJK installed. It really transformed the bike to run as it should've out of the factory.

The pulling the clutch in and having it stall is, to me, the real issue. I've never had that happen to me, but from what folks explain it sounds like a real issue on some bikes.

The stalling off the line is what seems more like operator "error" and what I'm referring to when I say you just have to learn how this bike likes the throttle. If anyone thinks this issue is affected by the EJK, I'd say you are wrong. The EJK does not alter idle or anything under 1500 RPMs, so it's not doing a thing to help your initial launch.

The pulling the clutch in and having it stall is, to me, the real issue. I've never had that happen to me, but from what folks explain it sounds like a real issue on some bikes.  
The stalling off the line is what seems more like operator "error" and what I'm referring to when I say you just have to learn how this bike likes the throttle. If anyone thinks this issue is affected by the EJK, I'd say you are wrong. The EJK does not alter idle or anything under 1500 RPMs, so it's not doing a thing to help your initial launch.

I believe that the take off stalling issue has something to do with the clutch switch. I've been experimenting with it for the last couple months with it connected or disconnected. I have an aftermarket lever so I have to leave it either plugin or unplugged. It seems to me that when it was unplug, which the ECU thinks that the clutch is engaged, the bike at low rpm pulls a lot stronger and requires little effort to take off. However, if I leave the switch plugged in, which the ECU would think that my clutch is pulled all the time, I would need to give more gas and higher rpm in order to take off smoothly. It is very easy to stall the bike in that scenario.
This makes me think that the bike has two fueling map for clutch pulled vs engaged. And if the switch is properly adjusted you might engage the clutch before the map is switched, hence the weak takeoff and stalling.

This is what I wrote on another thread this morning:

"The PCV is by far the best option as it controls spark and has intuitive tuning software.

Making the argument that the EJK is easier cause you push a few buttons is pretty weak. Downloading maps vs. pushing buttons is the same thing IMO. I honestly think making a few clicks is easier. How hard is it to go on DynoJet's website, download a map and hit the "Send to PCV" button ?? Any tuner here locally won't touch the EJK as you can't tune it as detailed as you can with a PCV. Plenty of guys that have tuned the FZ have noted that the FZ engine loves more ignition timing. I have tuned mine for a "Performance tune" and a "MPG Tune" I added on a switch to my PCV to change it on the fly. I also think the quality of the harness and connectors was better on the PCV."

I can only speak to my own perspective on this, but when I said it was easier to use I was particularly referring to the custom mapping process and not just downloading a generic map and loading it. In that regard, the EJK has all but 6 different values one can alter vs numerous values in a PCV map. To only use generic maps with the PCV, again - in my opinion, is pointless and defeats the primary strength of getting the PCV over the EJK in the first place.

To me, ease of use includes not needing a pro tuner. I prefer to wrench on my own bikes and likewise prefer to tune my own bikes. Many others feel the same way, and do not want to have to fuss with going to a tuner/dyno to tune their bikes, they just want to plug something in, update a few easy settings, and ride.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Unless I'm going to the track, the EJK provides adequate fueling at a lower cost and is easier to install/tweak. I personally find the EJK more than capable of doing what I need in a stage 1 scenario, which is not targeting top level performance. When/if I eventually start upgrading more performance aspects of the bike, I will most certainly be replacing the EJK with a custom ECU flash. So, for me, the PCV has no value. It's merely a middle ground that is either too much or not enough depending on what my wants and needs are.

Also, this may be a bit tongue in cheek, but at the same time it's a very real situation I am in... How easy is it to install a new map to the PCV if you do not have a Windows based PC? Not very, because the software you need to do it is Windows based. I only have a Mac and a Chromebook, so it's not very "easy" for someone like me, is it?

So yes, from my perspective, the EJK is leaps and bounds easier to use than the PCV.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Gonna laugh at myself for reviving a 5 year old thread here, but I was just stumbling around the forum after installing my new akra ti 😍.

Cannot agree more with @aeisan on this one.

On 8/31/2015 at 4:00 PM, aeisan said:

I can only speak to my own perspective on this, but when I said it was easier to use I was particularly referring to the custom mapping process and not just downloading a generic map and loading it. In that regard, the EJK has all but 6 different values one can alter vs numerous values in a PCV map. To only use generic maps with the PCV, again - in my opinion, is pointless and defeats the primary strength of getting the PCV over the EJK in the first place.

To me, ease of use includes not needing a pro tuner. I prefer to wrench on my own bikes and likewise prefer to tune my own bikes. Many others feel the same way, and do not want to have to fuss with going to a tuner/dyno to tune their bikes, they just want to plug something in, update a few easy settings, and ride.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Unless I'm going to the track, the EJK provides adequate fueling at a lower cost and is easier to install/tweak. I personally find the EJK more than capable of doing what I need in a stage 1 scenario, which is not targeting top level performance. When/if I eventually start upgrading more performance aspects of the bike, I will most certainly be replacing the EJK with a custom ECU flash. So, for me, the PCV has no value. It's merely a middle ground that is either too much or not enough depending on what my wants and needs are.

Also, this may be a bit tongue in cheek, but at the same time it's a very real situation I am in... How easy is it to install a new map to the PCV if you do not have a Windows based PC? Not very, because the software you need to do it is Windows based. I only have a Mac and a Chromebook, so it's not very "easy" for someone like me, is it?

So yes, from my perspective, the EJK is leaps and bounds easier to use than the PCV.

I have a PCV on my 2017 bolt and I wish there was (and probably is, meh) a comparable product to the EJK for it. The PCV is right in the middle between the huge functional gains and ease of use from the EJK vs a true Dyno tune. IE: I don't know why anyone would go for the PCV over the flash, unless you were very knowledgeable about the ins and outs of tuning a FI system. As someone who doesn't ride on the track but puts 5-7k commuting and f@#kin around miles per year on my bikes the EJK does me good. Thank you @Bigturbomax for hooking that up.

I love the engine braking on the bike and otherwise would have went 100% with the 2WDW flash. Waiting for someone to convince me I need it and I'm sure it won't take much.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 6/5/2020 at 11:23 PM, Tjern said:

I love the engine braking on the bike and otherwise would have went 100% with the 2WDW flash. Waiting for someone to convince me I need it and I'm sure it won't take much.

Just an FYI: 2WDW can leave the engine braking alone if you request it.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:23 PM, Tjern said:

Gonna laugh at myself for reviving a 5 year old thread here, but I was just stumbling around the forum after installing my new akra ti 😍.

Cannot agree more with @aeisan on this one.

I have a PCV on my 2017 bolt and I wish there was (and probably is, meh) a comparable product to the EJK for it. The PCV is right in the middle between the huge functional gains and ease of use from the EJK vs a true Dyno tune. IE: I don't know why anyone would go for the PCV over the flash, unless you were very knowledgeable about the ins and outs of tuning a FI system. As someone who doesn't ride on the track but puts 5-7k commuting and f@#kin around miles per year on my bikes the EJK does me good. Thank you @Bigturbomax for hooking that up.

As Dewman said, a 2WDW flash can bypass getting rid of the engine braking. BUT, it can get rid of some other unwanted quirks with the bike, like how it can die on you from a stand still at a light (my biggest peeve) if the throttle/clutch aren't managed properly. It's a rarity that that happens and it sucks when it does. It would be tragic to have it happen if a car were speeding toward you and you couldn't get out of it's way because the stupid engine died on you due to a faulty fuel design. I feel I've mastered the throttle clutch to prevent that from happening, it hasn't happened to me in over a year now so I'm OK with not getting the flash. Others may want the flash to correct that possibly, deadly problem.

Beemer