The MT-07 Forum

Quick 5min meet up for diagnostic purposes

roadrunner

Hello!

I need a fellow fz07 rider to meet up with. I want compare engine sounds and see if something is up with my bike or if I'm just losing it. I keep hearing like a ticking/rattle/vibration sound coming from just under the seat slightly in front of what I think is the airbox. It's not coming from the chain or exhaust(I think), although the exhaust does seem a lot more burpy/farty than before.

Don't know if I just wasn't paying attention or if it just needed to break in, but I don't THINK the sound was there before my first Service, at a minimum it wasn't as pronounced as it is now. I already took it back before, the tech that tested it said he didn't notice anything abnormal, said it was the normal engine/valve sounds. I think they also said this type of engine is like that, and just yamahas in general are like that.

But I gotta know if it's normal or if they messed something up. The sound follows the rpm speed, so the higher the rpm the faster the sound sounds(not sure how else to describe).

So I guess it could be just normal engine sounds, but for some reason I keep thinking its either somehow related to the throttle body sync, or maybe they didn't put everything back together correctly when they did the sync. But i dont know.

So I any of you are willing to meet up sometime soon, please let me know. Thanks!

If you have a diag light on, on the dash check the starter switch is not sticking on.
In fact check it anyway, you do hear a lot of noises on the 07 that you would not
notice on noisier bikes.

• Global Moderator

If you want to meet someone to compare you might want to tell us your location :) If you are close to me I would be happy to.

@Ralph I don't see any lights on. Just hoping to confirm what the noise is. 

@mjh937 I don't think it's the exhaust, unless the exhaust is somehow affected during the first Service.
I'm near Hollywood 

• Global Moderator

@roadrunner, I am nowhere near you, sorry. An exhaust leak can make a ticking noise. It should not have anything to do with the service but the timing could be coincidental. It would not hurt to check them. They should be torqued to 14 ft. lbs.

• Premium Member

I'll be coming to Hollywood tomorrow. Just not sure we will meet up at the right time. I planned on making my way there approx 10am

• Premium Member

IT'S THE CHAIN. This has been covered repeatedly on every FZ forum. This bike has a loud chain, that's all.

@fz07fanboy I'll be in downtown at that time but if your still around after 6 I can meet up

@bmwpowere36m3 I'm not too worried, but I do want to make sure of what the noise is. So loud valve tick is normal on this bike? That sucks lol

@yamahappy74 I don't think it's related to the chain. I checked repeatedly. The chain used to be loud but after the first Service got quiet. Still makes a little bit of noise but its almost not noticeable at all. But this tick is in your face loud. And I can hear it at idle or in neutral when I rev and it doesn't sound like its coming from anything chain related.

• Premium Member
@fz07fanboy I'll be in downtown at that time but if your still around after 6 I can meet up 
@bmwpowere36m3 I'm not too worried, but I do want to make sure of what the noise is. So loud valve tick is normal on this bike? That sucks lol

@yamahappy74 I don't think it's related to the chain. I checked repeatedly. The chain used to be loud but after the first Service got quiet. Still makes a little bit of noise but its almost not noticeable at all. But this tick is in your face loud. And I can hear it at idle or in neutral when I rev and it doesn't sound like its coming from anything chain related.
Well that doesn't sound good (no pun intended). Good luck getting to the bottom of it. I hope it's not serious and it's covered under warranty regardless. 

Valve tick or chain tensioner rattle... normal and move on with life or ride with earphones.
This probably explains 90% of all of these types of complaints, when made by newer riders not familiar with all the sounds of a bike.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

@yamahappy74 I don't think it's gonna be a big deal, but either way I want to know what it is to be sure. If it's not bad then whatever at least I know, if it can get bad then I'm gonna try to get it fixed asap. My plan is to try to meet up with someone, if needed next step is the dealership(again), and if they act dumb about it then I'm taking to a mechanic that's basically legendary in the area. If anything he will be able to help

@fz07fanboy thanks for the heads up!

I'm not new to bikes, btw. I've had 2 other ones. This sound isn't what I'm used to. But I guess it could just be a yamaha thing

I don't blame you. Peace of mind is always good to have. Most of us have been there ha, myself included. If anyone tells you they have never wondered about valve or cam chain noise they either grew up around bikes or are lying haha.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

RoadRunner, Tanner and I are going up Angeles Crest This Sat. meeting at same Shell station at 8:30. I am going sloooooooooooow.

@n2shotokai Sounds like your going slow LOL.
Why so slow?
Thanks for the heads up, but I may end up meeting up with @fz07fanboy so he can help me check my bike

But if that doesn't work out, I might go with you guys. But I'm gonna make lots of stops and take pictures. That road we went down last time for the detour was very nice! Lots of scenery

My bike just started making this ticking noise as well. You can really hear it at idle. Coming from right under the seat. I have about 650 miles on my bike.

I know it's annoying but just about every car and bike I've owned had a valve tick to some degree, I wouldn't stress over it. It's the knocks you have to worry about.

Knock-knock!

Who's there?

Rod

Rod who?

Rod Bearing

(I'll let myself out .....)

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3
I know it's annoying but just about every car and bike I've owned had a valve tick to some degree, I wouldn't stress over it. It's the knocks you have to worry about. 
Knock-knock!

Who's there?

Rod

Rod who?

Rod Bearing

True, my BMW ticks, both the injectors and valves... However you only hear it when under the hood and more pronounced with the engine covers removed.

While driving, nothing... obviously you got a lot more materials to deaden the sound inside the cabin. I think motorcyclists forget they're basically sitting on top of an engine with no noise paneling.

Knock-knock!

Who's there?

Rod

Rod who?

Rod Bearing

True, my BMW ticks, both the injectors and valves... However you only hear it when under the hood and more pronounced with the engine covers removed.

While driving, nothing... obviously you got a lot more materials to deaden the sound inside the cabin. I think motorcyclists forget they're basically sitting on top of an engine with no noise paneling.
Carroll Shelby couldn't have said it better.

Beemer

Archived