The MT-07 Forum

Gear # disappearing from display - SOLVED!

fechner

I've had this happen twice now in the first 100 miles. Cruising along, I pull the clutch in and apply the brakes. As I begin to downshift I'm watching the gear display, all the sudden, the number disappears. In order for the gear to reappear I have to release the clutch at which time it pops right back up. *I don't think I am able to downshift while there is no gear displayed* (if it happens again, I will make sure this is the case) The first time it happened, I was a little afraid because I was stopped at a light in a not-so-great area of town. I attempted to downshift to 1st without knowing what gear I was in, but I wasn't able to shift any further so I assumed I was in 1st. When I let off the clutch, the #4 popped on the screen and of course the bike bogged slightly as I rolled from a stop in 4th gear. After that I was able to shift fine without trouble.

Also, I understand that when the bike is in neutral it displays a "-", I am 100% certain I was not in neutral these two instances.

Has anyone else had this happen? Something electronic related I assume?

Solution:
This problem is related to the clutch switch not being plugged in all the way. Check right below your handle bars on the clutch side for a small connector. It has likely backed out. Correctly securing this connector has solved this problem.

olderthandirt

I would guess since the bike is brand new that your foot is not returning the shift lever to it's mid position and therefore the bike doesn't know what gear it's in. Try riding with different shoes or smaller boots...or just be aware the shifter must return to center and let us know if the problem persists.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

I would guess since the bike is brand new that your foot is not returning the shift lever to it's mid position and therefore the bike doesn't know what gear it's in. Try riding with different shoes or smaller boots...or just be aware the shifter must return to center and let us know if the problem persists.
That is a great point, I will make sure I'm not getting my foot in the way.  

• Global Moderator

Never happened to me on this bike but in the past I had a bike where I could shift 'in between' gears if I wasn't firm enough with shifting up or down.

If your problem persists I would go back to the dealer and have them check the linkage. Could to much play cause this?

Guest unknown

This has happened to me a bunch actually. It happens to me when I am just holding the clutch down after a downshift while coasting. It's never been an issue as I immediately shift and the proper gear is displayed. try letting the clutch out gradually and the display should show the proper gear at that point.

It used to happen to me too. I found out that the bike was 'in between' gears - hadn't fully changed from gear to gear and it would show a blank. Starting switching gears fully (while still rolling) and haven't had the problem since.

Cool, thanks for all the responses guys. Glad to know it hasn't only happened to me. If it happens again, at least I know how to combat it and not to freak out. :)

My bike did the same thing in the first 100 miles. I just shifted back up and down again.not sure what caused it but I haven't had the problem since I broke 200 miles.

TO be honest, I never look at or notice the Gear indicator when moving. I'll glance at it while stopped at a traffic light but other than that I usually know which gear I'm clicking into by sound/memory.

My Fz-09 is the first bike that I have had an indicator on. Until lately, most bikes didn't have em.

• Global Moderator

This is my first bike with an indicator too.
And I like it a lot. With my previous bike I found myself shifting into 7th quite often  x_x

• Global Moderator

I even got good at masking it by slipping my clutch a bit so people wouldn't notice lol (I know, I know)

• Premium Member

Yes this happens to me too release the clutch and then pull again and shift and it corrects itself. It gets lost between gears sometime - operator error really!

Guest MXRider

There is a gear position sensor in the transmission. When you are downshifting through multiple gears at once it can get a bit confused until it's engaged back in a gear. Perfectly normal.

• Premium Member

Happens to me as well. Only on downshifts. Another downshift or upshift fixes it. This actually happened to me for the first time with 10 miles on my bike. Needless to say I  was freaking out.

This happened to me while on test ride. I though it was fuel related as it was on one bar when it happened. Maybe a way of the bike saying hey I need fuel get some now stupid. I shifted through gears just fine l the way back to the dealer, the gear indicator never worked the entire way back. Dealer didn't know anything about it.

Guest montana07
This happened to me while on test ride. I though it was fuel related as it was on one bar when it happened. Maybe a way of the bike saying hey I need fuel get some now stupid. I shifted through gears just fine l the way back to the dealer, the gear indicator never worked the entire way back. Dealer didn't know anything about it.
Very interesting.  I definitely haven't experienced it to this extent.  As others have indicated, it's only happened to me while down shifting through multiple gears.  But once I'm in gear and release the clutch the indicator resumes normal operation. 

Hi all,

I believe the problem was related to the clutch switch being unplugged. Since I plugged it back in I haven't had this problem at all. Everyone check your clutch switch and report back :)

Also, moderators, should this thread belong in the "Problem and Answers" category?

• 2 months later...

Having same problem, will try looking for dislodged connector. Problem I have can be replicated by simply shifting through gears in garage. I literally shift up gears then the gear number from the gauge just disappears. Have to disengage from shifter and then it shift downs at which point "Gear Position" appears then it locks in 2nd gear and will not move into first. In order to get into first I have to disengage clutch lever completely and reapply for it work. Bike has only 200 miles. Granted I am not an experienced rider but something is obviously wrong. My cousin has FZ09 and his gears just bang up and down without a problem nor position disappearing from gauge. Hope its connector, if not have dealership check it out.

Doubt if you have a problem, the bike needs more miles to run in, things are stiff and tight when new,
and motorcycle gear boxes are not designed to change without the engine running and shafts turning look
at this you can see the pegs have to line up for it to go in gear if things are not moving then they can
hit head on so to speak and so can not slide into gear so you have to be moving or the engine as to be
driving one of the shafts and if it does not go into gear then the indicator does nor show a gear number,
you can see him line the clutches up to slide them in but in real life with the shaft turning they line 
themselves up as you put pressure on the gear pedal if you jump on the thing trying to force it in all you
will do is bend somthing. 

Archived