The MT-07 Forum

Purchasing question

motocr

I am planning on buying an fz-07, have sorted out my funds and made sure my finances were in order for my purchase, at the latest I'll be buying in October at the earliest late September depending on work hrs. My question or rather series of questions are as follows:

1. Has anyone bought out of state? I live in Georgia which could be different from other places but looking online I've found bikes listed at 6199 - 6500 in Tennessee and Alabama both of which have better tax rates than Georgia so I would come off cheaper if I bought there and brought it back here, seemingly. I just don't know how the whole process would work as I can not find definitive information from any dmv resources nor have I found any online posts explaining how the purchase and title registration process would work.

2. I have seen the otd pricing thread as well as searched reddit and found a common price of 7300-7500 otd for the bike but I was curious if any of the new riders kept track of their entire purchasing from gear to insurance, to bike? My roommate and I put together a spreadsheet with a 10 percent error accounted for and came up with right at 9200 for everything including bike, gear, insurance, and an msf course.

first i have to tell you your going to pay georgia sales tax no matter where you buy the bike. you should ask the dealers if there other fees.
a good helmet like gmax 54 is about $125, icon is got a nice mesh glove for $20 your going to need riding pants like kevlar jeans i own a pair of finn moto love em $125 and last a jacket $80 - many hundreds mest jacket very nice for this time of the year. good luck

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I bought my bike in GA mountain Motorsports in Marietta. I only paid the list price and set up. I took care of all the taxes in my home state. I had to pay sales tax and property tax in South Carolina before I could register the bike. So other states tax rates really don't help you. Just make sure you get a otd quote prior to deciding on where you go. I had a hell of a time with the MMS people. I brought them a certified bank check and they still wanted me to finance it when I went to pick it up. It took forever dealing with the sales manager. At the end of the day they gave me the price I wanted to pay so its all good. That was a year ago today actually, when dealerships couldn't keep them in stock.

As far as the extras I didn't track mine and would rather not think about it, haha. But 3 jackets, 2 helmets, a couple pairs of riding pants and gloves later I have everything. I had some stuff before I bought my bike and got some stuff after.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Forgot to mention I bought a summer and winter gear complement. Keep that in mind when you are buying gear. One set typically will not work for all seasons in the south east. I also ride at least once a week year round. Last winter i was riding to work in 19deg temps, and this summer in Alabama it was 100 some days.

I'd suggest buying the best gear you can afford as the higher quality will typically last longer. I went through 2 pairs of astars smx air gloves (came apart at the seams) before buying my held gloves. If I went with held first I'd have an extra 120 bucks in my pocket. Same with the helmet. I bought a cycle gear helmet and less than 6 months later replaced it with a shoei. Unfortunately the gear stores here in the states are pretty pathetic compared to the massive motorcycle gear specific store that can be found in Europe.

How much was he set up fee? If you don't mind my asking. I will most likely be buying from the same place mms marietta as its really close to me, and similar situation as yours I'll be paying cash if all goes well which might help lower the price by maybe 50 dollars and ignore the finance talk lol.

As far as gear I made a list of one helmet don't remember the brand it's in a note section somewhere, icon overlord or what replaced that series jacket, Kevlar pants, and alpine star boots and these were decent protection for 800 ish. For winter gear I'll see what I can find as another jacket and pants setup or dress I layers.

I bought my bike in GA mountain Motorsports in Marietta. I only paid the list price and set up. I took care of all the taxes in my home state. I had to pay sales tax and property tax in South Carolina before I could register the bike. So other states tax rates really don't help you. Just make sure you get a otd quote prior to deciding on where you go. I had a hell of a time with the MMS people. I brought them a certified bank check and they still wanted me to finance it when I went to pick it up. It took forever dealing with the sales manager. At the end of the day they gave me the price I wanted to pay so its all good. That was a year ago today actually, when dealerships couldn't keep them in stock. 
As far as the extras I didn't track mine and would rather not think about it, haha. But 3 jackets, 2 helmets, a couple pairs of riding pants and gloves later I have everything. I had some stuff before I bought my bike and got some stuff after.

• Premium Member

Set up fee's from what Ive seen go from $2-300. I think I paid $300 of which was not discussed until I was going to sign paperwork and noticed the jump in numbers and then questioned about it. I had really no room for negotiation since every other one of the their FZ left the showroom within 2 weeks. In regards to gear, if you know the brand and size of gear you want search around online. You can often find drastically different prices. Many brick and mortars will actually match the online prices these days. Revzilla isn't always the best deal. Check out cyclegear.com and ironpony.com (these guys usually have great deals).

How much was he set up fee?  

I don't know about where you live or anywhere else but here in Fl. the title and registration is done by the dealer and it was included in the price of the bike, I didn't have to run to the DMV for anything, just camped next to the mailbox for a couple weeks waiting on the documents. You can always call your DMV with questions and I'm sure they can help you. I called mine recently with questions about insurance and they answered all my questions.

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

1. Your going to pay state (your's) tax regardless where you buy the bike. Plus registration and title fees.

2. Insurance depends, start getting quotes. Too many variables.... could be $30 a month or $200. And gear will depend on how much you buy and what kind.

Your young, so I'd assume $1-1.5k for full insurance and probably $1000 for gear and maintenance in the first year.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
I don't know about where you live or anywhere else but here in Fl. the title and registration is done by the dealer and it was included in the price of the bike, I didn't have to run to the DMV for anything, just camped next to the mailbox for a couple weeks waiting on the documents. You can always call your DMV with questions and I'm sure they can help you. I called mine recently with questions about insurance and they answered all my questions.
If you buy out of state the dealership will usually give you the option to pay taxes or not. I chose not to pay taxes at the dealer and do it on my own. I got my tag in 3 days vs weeks. As far as set up fees I forgot what it was but I paid less than list price out the door.

• Premium Member

Check out Craigslist and consignment shops for second hand gear. You can save a lot.

And speaking of gear, really, you, can spend as much or as little as your heart desires. I recommend buying quality the first time around, otherwise you'll just end up replacing it or upgrading anyway.

Helmets however, should probably not be bought used unless NIB.

Everything went braap.

Being military, I had purchased mine from the state I'm currently at. I got the MCO and filed my own title application with my state of residence (would pay taxes if they were due in that state also). I had to sign a release letter for my lien since I was taking the MCO from the dealer and they weren't filing the application on my behalf.

Now if your buying used, it would be the same as buying a car. You take the title and bill of sale (if you need one) to your DMV in GA. If your paying cash no issues here, if your getting a loan it complicates it slightly as they'll need to know the amount and who to make the check out to.

I picked mine up in GA for $6990 out the door at Yamaha of Dalton. There was another one on the floor in red. They made it sound like that was the last one they would have for 2015. If that is the color you are looking for, I'd give them a call.

I payed 8100otd at barneys of brandon in fl. Unfortunately that was the cheapest around me and while I was planning on buying one out of state the cost to get me to the bike and back was about the same as the difference in price between put of state and barneys.

• 2 weeks later...

I literally just finished the buying process of a 2016 matte silver here in Texas. With papers in hand, I'll list everything...

BIKE:

MSRP:    $6,990.00
Freight:     $248.00
Prep:         $220.00
Tax:          $466.00
Doc Fee:    $120.00

BIKE OTD:      $8,044.00

GEAR:

Shoei GT AIR:                       $500.00
Rev'it Lombard Jeans:            $270.00
Alpinestars Quasar Jacket:      $250.00
Aplinestars San Deigo Shoes: $150.00

SUBTOTAL                               $1,170.00                    
15% Discount                           ($176.00)                    
GEAR TOTAL                             $994.50    

15% off gear was part of my negotiation.  

MSF is $235 here in Texas and my insurance is $50/month ($600 per year).

Hopefully that helps on the price side of things...

G

TN tax is less than GA? Wow, I always thought the tax here was pretty high. It's twice here what it is in OH.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Its 1% less than in Georgia insignificant but hey I'd save 10 dollars that's another meal.

TN tax is less than GA? Wow, I always thought the tax here was pretty high. It's twice here what it is in OH.

Awesome thanks! Not may people have kept track. It seems like all together the fz07 costs right at 10k to go from no riding experience or bike to riding after taking msf course getting a decent gear set and insurance. Did the doc fees include the registration fees?

I literally just finished the buying process of a 2016 matte silver here in Texas. With papers in hand, I'll list everything... 

BIKE:

MSRP:    $6,990.00
Freight:     $248.00
Prep:         $220.00
Tax:          $466.00
Doc Fee:    $120.00

BIKE OTD:      $8,044.00

GEAR:

Shoei GT AIR:                       $500.00
Rev'it Lombard Jeans:            $270.00
Alpinestars Quasar Jacket:      $250.00
Aplinestars San Deigo Shoes: $150.00

SUBTOTAL                               $1,170.00                    
15% Discount                           ($176.00)                    
GEAR TOTAL                             $994.50    

15% off gear was part of my negotiation.  

MSF is $235 here in Texas and my insurance is $50/month ($600 per year).

Hopefully that helps on the price side of things...

G

Its 1% less than in Georgia insignificant but hey I'd save 10 dollars that's another meal.  

Sans the extra fuel it costs to make the longer drive.  ::)

Life is good on 2 wheels!

This is still one of the cheapest place I know to get the FZ-07. I bought mine there and they give you a NO hassle OTD price.
http://www.westfieldyamaha.com/default.asp?page=xNEWInventory&cat=sport&make=yamaha&model=fz-07

$6000 for the 2015
$6300 for the 2016

If you decide to get it there, depending on your state, you will have to pay your state tax there, and they will send it to your state, or you will have to pay your state tax once you get back home. Again, it depends on your state.

OK, you are living in TX or FL. So what, with the savings of buying it there instead of at home, you can fly there, stay the night, pick up the bike and drive it home (3, 4, 5 days). That's part of the fun. And you will still be ahead of the game (do the math), with your "break in" done once you get home.

For insurance, as some have said it, there are too many, really too many variables to know for sure. Check different companies (Dairyland, Progressive, Geico etc..) get quotes on line, but don't forget, a motorcycle is considered a TOY, so you don't have to take the full insurance on it if you don't want to. It depends on your particular case. For mine, I live in the country, where people still leave their keys on and their vehicles running when paying at the gas station. They barely lock their house doors at night, so theft is not an issue and I never had any vehicle accidents for the 40 years I have been diving all kinds of vehicles. So for me, insurance is certainly a waist of money (maybe one day, it won't be). So check insurance companies and compare equal coverage.

Yes, that included Title, License and Inspection.  

You can find good deals all over the place...just depends on how hard you look and how persistent you are!  

Cassecou's prices are amazing!  $600 below retail is nuts as long as they don't nickle and dime you afterward. 

Also worth noting...I spend solid $$$ on the gear.  You don't have to go that overboard, some people value their noggin's differently.  ;)

I've found several places advertising around 6199 for 2015 versions now that 2016 are coming in slowly but I have 2 months till I'll have my ducks in a row and then I must make sure how the registration will get done for my state before I can buy. Some states are iffy on buying out of state from what I've read online.

Yes, that included Title, License and Inspection.   
You can find good deals all over the place...just depends on how hard you look and how persistent you are!  

Cassecou's prices are amazing!  $600 below retail is nuts as long as they don't nickle and dime you afterward. 

Also worth noting...I spend solid $$$ on the gear.  You don't have to go that overboard, some people value their noggin's differently.  ;)

bmwpowere36m3

Haha, ya... and a FZ-07 is two years worth of meals ;)

i would suggest getting a OTD price before you sign, agree or do anything if you are paying cash you have all the power in the world, if they say they hae fees that need to be paid that's fine... as long as it is not more than the negotiated price.. ex : you want to pay $6000 otd dont budge they can sell you the bike $3000 and $3000 in fees doesn't matter as long as you pay the price you want. MMS conyers tried that with me and i went straight to Cycle nation in MCdoughnough and paid 6990+600 in ga state tax that's it. i was in and out in 1 hour.

I will definitely be getting a quote first
And one reason I'm paying straight cash is its makes them alot more willing to work with you especially if they get cash in hand versus financing which takes alot of paperwork in the background or now days 10 minutes on a computer. I'm just hoping I can find someone close that has any in Stock in October or November. I'm very tempted to wait for pricing on the new xsr700 but I know it'll be more expensive.

i would suggest getting a OTD price before you sign, agree or do anything if you are paying cash you have all the power in the world, if they say they hae fees that need to be paid that's fine... as long as it is not more than the negotiated price.. ex : you want to pay $6000 otd dont budge they can sell you the bike $3000 and $3000 in fees doesn't matter as long as you pay the price you want. MMS conyers tried that with me and i went straight to Cycle nation in MCdoughnough and paid 6990+600 in ga state tax that's it. i was in and out in 1 hour.

• Global Moderator

@motocr, winter is the time to buy. Wait until the end of the month when they want to get the commission in that month and you will have more leverage. If it is snowng that will help you too.

Archived