The MT-07 Forum

Tanks alot..MPG reports wanted

yamabob

Fuel efficiency is my obsession! So here goes my latest tank report. Followers may know that the 25 MPG with my former mounts (900SS, ZX12-R, and R1100RS) were poor excuses to justify donning helmet, gloves, and Tour-master sweat suit for crash protection. My weekly trip is 130 miles of super slab in high volume hours. Sadly 3.7 gallons is not going to get her done running ahead of the pack WFO. Previously 30 miles in bumper to bumper lane splitting increased the average that 1.4 gal remained after 44 miles of flashing reserve.Both times I hit reserve 100 miles out. So without the +60 MPG readings in traffic I was wide open for the entire fuel load. Reserve at 100 miles, 30 miles to go...20 miles later as I cracked it wide open again I got the dire warning of starvation. She bogged out! Hoping to avoid a sweaty push I took the next exit and gassed up within four miles. Only with full throttle/high RPM did I get the bog. Apparently the fuel pump was in cavitation (sucking air). Vital Statistics: 128 miles WFO equals 3.4 gallons consumed! Yes my brothers.. YHSRVT was a quart short! 3.444 gallons filled the 3.7 gal tank. 38 MPG is still better than a Prius, and weather permitting more fun! Previously the average was 59 MPG, when you run the ton you will pay more at the pump.

Cycle World reports on the 107 HP FZ09 "the average mpg indicated by the trip computer was 33 mpg, which, given the 3.7-gallon fuel capacity, works out to a 120-mile range and the distinct possibility of the fuel light coming on before 100 miles. Yamaha claims 44 mpg."
Still these hooligan bikes are delivering more smiles to the miles!

Guest unknown

I had some bogging the other day and put in 3.41 Gallons. It always makes me nervous pushing it that far. I was pretty relaxed on the throttle and the fuel odometer said 38 miles.

We should get on Fuelly and so we can all see what mpgs everyone is averaging and see how we compare to other bikes in the 07 class.

Yamaha goes naked 3 ways. At DHY my 7 was parked next to big brothers, 8 & 9. Amazing how similar they are. Frame and pipes are the big diff. That 9 is awesome, but who wants to gas up every hour?
More specs:
FZ-07 $6,990
689cc 2-cylinder 74hp
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
Fuel Economy 58 mpg

FZ8 $8,890
779cc 4-cylinder 95HP
Fuel Capacity 4.5 gal
Fuel Economy 39 mpg

FZ-09 $7,990 107HP
847cc 3-cylinder
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
Fuel Economy 44 mpg

olderthandirt

If I ride like a Canadian I get 50.2 MPG all the time. If I ride like Marq Marquez I'm really not concerned about MPG.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

Marc Marq? he rides Honda... Didn't you mean Valentino? My riding style is keep the mirrors empty, always.

olderthandirt
Marc Marq? he rides Honda... Didn't you mean Valentino? My riding style is keep the mirrors empty, always.
No...I meant Marq since he is faster than Valentino.  

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

Valentino Rossi 35 Y.O., second generation in GP, 9X champion in 125, 250, 500, (first in all time 500 cc/MotoGP race wins standings, with 80 victories), and in MotoGP took the first four in a row. After three years of dominance on Honda he was again champ, in 2004 on Yamaha, proving it was not the bike.
MarcMarq is impressive, untouchable on his Honda, but Rossi is a legacy.

• 5 months later...

5'6, 110 pounds, southern california, 91 octane, get about 35 mpg

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

Lots of 07's on Fuelly look at MT-07 as well the EU name for anyone that don't know.
Just click on my Fuelly badge at the bottom of post.

I think I'm getting 45ish with a good mix of hooligan and regular commuting. I don't really try to drag it out on the tank, I'm usually only putting in about right at 3 gal

• Premium Member
If I ride like a Canadian I get 50.2 MPG all the time. If I ride like Marq Marquez I'm really not concerned about MPG.
Like a Canadian what does that mean.... I know you only have one road up there lol Kidding. So I take it you like to have fun and still get 50 mpg that 2x better than my daily driver.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Global Moderator
Lots of 07's on Fuelly look at MT-07 as well the EU name for anyone that don't know. Just click on my Fuelly badge at the bottom of post.
Do not forget the UK millage will be exactly 15% better than here in the US as they use imperial gallons, which are 15% larger. 

If I ride like a Canadian I get 50.2 MPG all the time. 
Like a Canadian what does that mean.... I know you only have one road up there lol Kidding.
In Canada, wu use imperial gallons. imp gallon = 4.55 liters;  us gallon = 3.79 liters 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

I went for a spirited 151 mile back roads ride today averaging 40-75 mph on twisties and hills and my average was 60.1 on the computer....

• Premium Member
Like a Canadian what does that mean.... I know you only have one road up there lol Kidding.
In Canada, wu use imperial gallons. imp gallon = 4.55 liters;  us gallon = 3.79 liters
I thought it was in reference to Canadian culture, like If some one says you ride like  some one from the USA I would assume you drive like an Ahole with no consideration of anyone else on the road while texting on your phone lol. 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I thought it was in reference to Canadian culture, like If some one says you ride like  some one from the USA I would assume you drive like an Ahole with no consideration of anyone else on the road while texting on your phone lol.
Good one Jake. Sadly, i have to say that canadians and americans share the same driving disabilities. ;) 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

I ride about 150 miles a day and the computer says average is 34mpg. I ride almost all highway in the 85-90 range. I am waiting for my Yoshi exhaust and Power commander V to get here. Just ordered over the weekend so I will update any changes after next weekend when I get it all installed and go for a ride...

I ride about 150 miles a day and the computer says average is 34mpg. I ride almost all highway in the 85-90 range. I am waiting for my Yoshi exhaust and Power commander V to get here. Just ordered over the weekend so I will update any changes after next weekend when I get it all installed and go for a ride...
Interesting how were like 2 of the only ones getting about 35 mpg, when everybody else is getting in the 40-60 range, I wonder why that is... 

• Global Moderator

I think that the speed is the big difference. I hardly ever go on the freeway (back roads are more fun).

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Just checked mine, it read 55.8 and there's 3300 miles on the odometer. I've accidentally reset it a few times. I don't think the mileage was as good during the break-in period.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Today i just passed 8k miles, i'm hoping when i get my 3rd service that somehow the gas mileage magically gets better lol
I do an even amount of streets, freeway/highway, and canyon runs/twisties

Mine did 228 miles then started cutting out under acceleration, got 13.39 ltr in trip said
73 mpg UK and it worked out at 77 UK about 65 US mpg on a trip to Scotland about 360 
miles running about 60/70 mph it did 81 mpg worked out, 68 ish US A mates BMW F650
the 800cc twin one did exactly the same the trip on his was about right but the one on the
07 is always about 5/7 mpg lower than what it is really doing. 

Archived