The MT-07 Forum

Question about seat

phyciocc

• Premium Member

I have been reading with interests some of threads about options for replacing the OEM seat.
I have to admit that I find the Yamaha Comfort seat with the red stitching very nice and lean that way, but I have a question.

I find the OEM seat OK, as my behind is very well padded :( but the slope is such that I am constantly showed forward against the thank.
I can move backward but then the cycle starts again. After a while, my nether region behind the ...family jewels gets pretty numb ( if you have ever ridden a street bicycle you know what I mean).

Of the various options available, do any address this issue? Also (so I lied, I have two questions :) ), as I am inseam "challenged", how much more seat height is added by the various options?
Thanks!
Marco

Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

The comfort seat does have a more grippy material. Oddly, I found the new seat to be more stiff than the original one. Maybe it needs to brake in a little.

• Premium Member

I hope this isn't a threadjack (not intended) but I wonder if any Corbin owners could chime in here. It looks like it has more build up before the tank so as to keep the rider further back. Also, I really like the looks of it but have heard mixed reviews.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

I seem to always read that Corbin foam is stiff, and requiring a lengthy break-in period. It's like a pair of tight shoes that eventually become comfortable because your feet have molded them. I don't know if I want to butt mold my seat though...
Anyone can confirm that the Yamaha Comfort seat has more padding in front?
Marco
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Premium Member

I actually had a Corbin on my VF750C and it was very nice. Yes, firmer than stock, but much more comfortable, and as I'm sure many will testify, softer <> more comfortable. But I'm also interested in the comfort seat, and if it solves the forward slope problem it might be a good option.

Why can't left turners see us?

I hope this isn't a threadjack (not intended) but I wonder if any Corbin owners could chime in here. It looks like it has more build up before the tank so as to keep the rider further back. Also, I really like the looks of it but have heard mixed reviews.
The one review about the Corbin seat that stuck out in my mind was someone said the Corbin seat was nice but because of the build up before the tank and the rear of the seat it kept them in one place, not allowing them to scoot forward or back. That would be a draw back for me, I have to be able to adjust once in awhile. Besides, IMO, the Corbin doesn't look right on the FZ 07 the way the seat is stepped up like a cruiser seat. It loses it's bad boy image and makes it look mundane.

Beemer

• Global Moderator

I have the Seat Concepts in the gripper material. The only way you are going to move in the seat is if you lift up and move yourself. I do not slide on it at all. I love it.

• 4 months later...

Seat Concepts addresses it... I have this seat and don't really have any complaints. On mine the ridge in the back is significant so I'm going to actually smooth it down. I didn't really notice the slope into the tank to begin with, but they say they have taken it out.  Also, they determine what firmness of foam to send you based on your weight (which you provide in the comments IIRC).

[/url]Seat Concepts FZ07

2015 FZ-07
1986 FZ600
1974 CB450
1973 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150

• Premium Member

[div align=justify]  Like others suggested, you could try the tank grippy pads. TechSpec SnakeSkin for one gets good reviews.

All of the aftermarket seats get mixed reviews for one reason or another so I just went for style instead of listening to other's two cents.  Every azz is unique after all.
I didnt like the ultra bulky cruiser look of the Corbin, the cool customization was nice but IMO it's style detracted from the FZ's nice lines and sporty look...might as well have a big padded sissy bar on it. C'mon Corbin...its a sporty bike. Feh.
The "Seat Concepts" gets nice reviews too but even though it was similar to OEM it just looked too boring.  There are a smattering of slip-on covers too but why waste money on those as they approach the cost of a new full seat.
I picked up a Yamaha comfort seat, I liked the materials and red stiching and it retains similar shape to the OEM too.

Havent had any ride time with it due to old man winter but for what it's worth it feels nice on my but-tocks. Im only 170lbs so my butt is fine even on the OEM.
If I really feel the need to modify the foam there are tons of options to do so and relatively cheap too. ie: have a vehicle/marine upholstery shop add or swap foams, or add a nice gel pad made specifically for MC seats.
[/div]

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

1000 miles on the comfort seat now and as for comfort its nigh on the same as the standard with the only difference being its grippier and you won't slide forward as much. I also angled the front up slightly when I fitted my Kriega tank bag mount,only a quarter inch but it feels more neutral. I'm 6 foot and 240lbs for reference.

• Premium Member

Only a couple hundred miles on my Corbin seat, but it is really comfortable. You still slide a little bit, but it is a comfortable slide if that makes sense. I never feel I'm getting "smashed". Tank grips will probably be my next add on. I imagine that would also help with handling and stability?

• 4 weeks later...

Note. A firmer seat will get less uncomfortable than a soft one. Do not be fooled by the initial comfort feel. Your rear is designed to sit on the ischial tuberosities ( the boney bits you can feel if you sit on a hard surface). Soft seats put pressure all over the rear of the area that aren't meant to take restriction . Take a look at serious bicycle seats vs "comfort seats". You can sit on a thin padded seat for hours no problem, but a soft one will have you squirming pretty quickly.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I installed the Seat Concepts seat and the cover material eliminates the slide problem all together and is a much more comfortable seat.

Archived