The MT-07 Forum

Wilbers 640 rear shock and Wilbers fork springs - review

Snoopy

• Premium Member

Last weekends big project was to get my new Wilbers 640 rear shock (including rebound) and also the Wilbers progressive fork springs (including new fork oil) installed. :)

This afternoon I had time to test the new suspension on the freeway and some curvy country roads.

The first few miles on the new suspension  on city roads didn't feel very different, maybe a bit softer over some pot holes, but overall no real difference. This changed dramatically once I went on the freeway, at 70 miles per hour the bike felt smooth and very much attached to the road, much more than with the stock suspension. In the past I felt the bike bounce back, doesn't happen now any more.

It felt even better once I took it into the curves. The bike was well attached to the road and the suspension ate any road bumps. I felt much more one with the bike than ever before. In the past the front forks felt often too soft, this is gone.

Additionally I got the bike lowered by 20 mm, you can do this with the Wilbers shocks and forks. I've added a Corbin seat to the bike a while ago and due to the fact that the seat is a bit wider and higher than the stock I decided to lower the bike by 20 mm (0.78 inches).

The following parts got installed:
a) Wilbers 640 rear shock FZ07  black-line; part #: 640-1141-02
b) Wilbers Fork Spring YAM FZ07; part # 500-0486-00
c) Fork Fluid 10W

The order and installation got done by Beemershop in Scotts Valley, CA, www.wilbersamerica.com . They are a Wilbers distributor and also do a lot of suspension work. Since I live only 30 min away, I decided not only to buy the suspension there, but also have them installed. They've done an excellent job for me and were very supportive on the phone when I initially talked to them.
Fair warning: The suspensions are made in Germany and are ordered specific for you, so it took about 3-4 weeks until they were in the shop.

Overall I'm very happy with this latest upgrade for my FZ-07.  8-)

[attachment id=808" thumbnail="1]
[attachment id=810" thumbnail="1]     [attachment id=809" thumbnail="1]

Love to ride!

• Global Moderator

what did it end up costing overall?
perhaps i can order and while I'm out there sometime this winter have them do the install.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I've heard good things about Wibers. Glad to here they work well on the 07.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
what did it end up costing overall? perhaps i can order and while I'm out there sometime this winter have them do the install.
Sorkyah - the Wilbers 640 rear shock was $619 and the Fork Springs were $139 + $13.95 for the fork oil. Installation can be done by any good shop / mechanic in your home town. I just choose them because they were 30 min away from there I live. Their estimate was 2 hours for the rear and 2 hours for the front.

Love to ride!

• Premium Member
::) good guess, yes they charged $90 an hour.

Love to ride!

• Global Moderator

front first i think... then rear. But the wilburs seems to be an awesome setup for a decent, almoat economical price

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived