The MT-07 Forum

A Few Questions, And Probable Noob Paranoia.

databyter

• Premium Member

As I mentioned in another thread, I was struck by some moderately heavy debris at high speed a few weeks ago. I thought my leg took the only hit, but I realized today that what I thought was some road scum striping the front edge of my engine cover in the left side, was actually where this debris hit first, scraping it before it hit my foot and leg.

I doubt there is anything mechanical to worry about, although I did notice what looked like an small oil leak behind the engine case near the fuel breather lines. Does anybody else show wetness/grease here or know what it is?

I think it might be coming from above and I'll look for a cause when it isn't dark outside. I'm wondering if there is a PVC valve or breather above this area and I am positive the dealer among all the other stuff they did half assed, over-filled my crankcase, which I haven't really been worried about, but maybe should be. I can't see the oil level unless I lean the bike far over towards the side the oil level view window is NOT on. Then I can see how high the level is, well over the top of the window.

I ordered some oil and planned to do my own change anyway, but can anyone tell me if the over filling could cause foaming up or overflow of the breathing (I assume it has something like this) valves or lines?

I know in some vehicles (cars) if the oil is too high it can get whipped up into a foam and loose the ability to provide protection to all the parts because it gets full of air 

So far it seems like virtually EVERY SINGLE THING the dealer did was done either half assed or badly. On the other hand, maybe they know better than me about some things, like maybe it doesn't hurt to overfill the oil a little bit. Certainly better than being a quart shy right?

Still I really regret that I was not ready to do my own breakin maintenance. When the book says fill between MAX and MIN, I tend to take it seriously. Part of the problem is I need a garage that isn't full of my landlords crap. The other problem was that I needed the stands n stuff. Most of the driveway area is at too much of an angle to do work, except where other peoples cars are parked. I need a place to work on my bike, especially after the sun is down.. but I digress.

The reason I found the damage to the engine case today was that When I was coming home today I felt a strange vibration that worried me. It sounded like I had no oil in the engine or like something was caught in the brake or a bad wheel bearing, but then again I was riding on a grooved part of the hwy in a lane that I usually avoid. It really felt weird though. I guess I'll find out tommorow if it was the road or the bike, when I ride to work. I have been using earplugs religiously as well and that sort of makes it hard to tell if you are tearing something up or just feeling drivetrain vibration.

I am always riding at very high speeds (safely though, not crazy) on the freeway, usually between 70-85. Will that damage the bike? I'm starting to get a little paranoid I guess. It's an investment, and I'd hate to destroy it out of ignorance. I feel like the bike should love the way I ride it, but when I hear something different in the engine sounds, or a vibration, I worry.

Ease my fears and edify me please. :) I feel like I am venting after a long week as much as asking for help/advice. And I am am irritated that my bike is getting scratched up even though I am trying to take really good care of it. I guess putting 300 miles a week takes a toll.

Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member

I have to drain the lil rubber boot that's on the airbox once a week..it gets filled with oil from the crank case pressure... I will say with out actually personally inspecting the damage I can't say the damage caused more engine vibration...over time the vibrations should pick up just a touch due to wear and tear...I ride each day rain or shine and go thru almost 2 tanks a week...overfill just a bit ain't gonna hurt nothing, the only way to see if it's overfilled is to drain the oil out and measure... I do my oil changes when the bike is on the kick stand...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Too much oil can cause an oil leak in your rear main seal and you described yours as being over filled so go to the drain plug and let a little out at a time until you can see the level in the window, where it should be. Wipe everything down, take it for a ride and check for leaks.

Beemer

• Premium Member
As I mentioned in another thread, I was struck by some moderately heavy debris at high speed a few weeks ago. I thought my leg took the only hit, but I realized today that what I thought was some road scum striping the front edge of my engine cover in the left side, was actually where this debris hit first, scraping it before it hit my foot and leg. 
I doubt there is anything mechanical to worry about, although I did notice what looked like an small oil leak behind the engine case near the fuel breather lines. Does anybody else show wetness/grease here or know what it is?

I think it might be coming from above and I'll look for a cause when it isn't dark outside. I'm wondering if there is a PVC valve or breather above this area and I am positive the dealer among all the other stuff they did half assed, over-filled my crankcase, which I haven't really been worried about, but maybe should be. I can't see the oil level unless I lean the bike far over towards the side the oil level view window is NOT on. Then I can see how high the level is, well over the top of the window.

I ordered some oil and planned to do my own change anyway, but can anyone tell me if the over filling could cause foaming up or overflow of the breathing (I assume it has something like this) valves or lines?

I know in some vehicles (cars) if the oil is too high it can get whipped up into a foam and loose the ability to provide protection to all the parts because it gets full of air 

So far it seems like virtually EVERY SINGLE THING the dealer did was done either half assed or badly. On the other hand, maybe they know better than me about some things, like maybe it doesn't hurt to overfill the oil a little bit. Certainly better than being a quart shy right?

Still I really regret that I was not ready to do my own breakin maintenance. When the book says fill between MAX and MIN, I tend to take it seriously. Part of the problem is I need a garage that isn't full of my landlords crap. The other problem was that I needed the stands n stuff. Most of the driveway area is at too much of an angle to do work, except where other peoples cars are parked. I need a place to work on my bike, especially after the sun is down.. but I digress.

The reason I found the damage to the engine case today was that When I was coming home today I felt a strange vibration that worried me. It sounded like I had no oil in the engine or like something was caught in the brake or a bad wheel bearing, but then again I was riding on a grooved part of the hwy in a lane that I usually avoid. It really felt weird though. I guess I'll find out tommorow if it was the road or the bike, when I ride to work. I have been using earplugs religiously as well and that sort of makes it hard to tell if you are tearing something up or just feeling drivetrain vibration.

I am always riding at very high speeds (safely though, not crazy) on the freeway, usually between 70-85. Will that damage the bike? I'm starting to get a little paranoid I guess. It's an investment, and I'd hate to destroy it out of ignorance. I feel like the bike should love the way I ride it, but when I hear something different in the engine sounds, or a vibration, I worry.

Ease my fears and edify me please. :) I feel like I am venting after a long week as much as asking for help/advice. And I am am irritated that my bike is getting scratched up even though I am trying to take really good care of it. I guess putting 300 miles a week takes a toll.

Databyter

Hey, if you ever want to do maintenance day, let me know and you can cruise by. Just bring filter and oil, I'll have the tools. Not sure where you live but you can just PM me if you're interested. I'd rather you come by than to take it to a dealership for simple maintenance.

B

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

A picture would be worth a thousand words in this case if you could show us the area that this was happening it may help. The engine and cases are pretty sturdy things. I doubt there would be significant damage. What object struck the motorcycle/your leg (Road sign, 2x4, stray muffler, a piece of a blown out tire, etc)?

When I changed the oil at 600 miles I overfilled. After the oil got dark from use I checked the oil level again and found that it was high as I couldn't see the metal piece behind the sight window. I still rode the FZ-07 and had no problems. I changed the oil again at 4000 miles and got a 1 liter measuring cup ($0.88 at my local retailer). No more overfills because I can get the correct amount of oil.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member
Hey, if you ever want to do maintenance day, let me know and you can cruise by. Just bring filter and oil, I'll have the tools. Not sure where you live but you can just PM me if you're interested. I'd rather you come by than to take it to a dealership for simple maintenance.  
B
Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that if I can't get this garage cleared soon. I just bought a triple stack rolling tool chest and it's still in the back of my Subaru unassembled because there is no place in the garage due to landlords priceless heirlooms, like a used mattress set he wants to sell and some old tables, sigh.. I might buy them myself and have a bonfire at Fiesty Island :)

Databyter

• Premium Member
A picture would be worth a thousand words in this case if you could show us the area that this was happening it may help. The engine and cases are pretty sturdy things. I doubt there would be significant damage. What object struck the motorcycle/your leg (Road sign, 2x4, stray muffler, a piece of a blown out tire, etc)? 
When I changed the oil at 600 miles I overfilled. After the oil got dark from use I checked the oil level again and found that it was high as I couldn't see the metal piece behind the sight window. I still rode the FZ-07 and had no problems. I changed the oil again at 4000 miles and got a 1 liter measuring cup ($0.88 at my local retailer). No more overfills because I can get the correct amount of oil.
Yea, I usually would have included a pic, but as I posted the other day, I put my phone and wallet on my tail-light while gearing up, and then drove off. Wallet recovered, phone stolen (literally returned to where they had to have fallen 3 minutes after I left). It's the only camera I currently, err, had. I intend to buy a cheapie because I am only a few months away from upgrade eligibility and I buy expensive phones. I'll see if I can find something to snap a photo, but it's pretty close to the tubes that come down from the fuel tank breather/smog crap, only it is above where they would leak stuff by several inches. 
As far as the damage to the front of the side case, I believe it is very minor as well other than aesthetics, and they are scratches that look like a detailing pen could disguise.

I am not sure what hit me. It came out from between a few vehicles in front of me, one of which was a contractors truck. I thought it was something fairly light because I saw the plastic of the bag it was in fluttering and it hit the ground (at 70-75mph) and bounced back up so I thought it was fairly light, but apparently at that speed a brick can bounce because that is what it felt like as it hit the top of my foot and the front of my ankle (leather boot thank God).

It was probably a bag that had boxes of fasteners or some kind of hardware in it. It was very solid for it's size and as I said, it literally felt like somebody threw a brick at my foot. Pain then numb, but really no damage. I am sure it was probably much lighter than a brick in reality, but nuts n bolts at that relative speed can make an impression. That is the only thing I ever hit, so I figure that is where those scrapes came from. The position is correct as it is slightly above and forward of where it hit my foot/ankle.

Sorry about the no pics. I was thinking the same thing. =/

Databyter

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
Yea, I usually would have included a pic, but as I posted the other day, I put my phone and wallet on my tail-light while gearing up, and then drove off... ...It's the only camera I currently, err, had. I intend to buy a cheapie because I am only a few months away from upgrade eligibility and I buy expensive phones... 
...I thought it was fairly light, but apparently at that speed a brick can bounce because that is what it felt like as it hit the top of my foot and the front of my ankle (leather boot thank God)...

I roll with an old LG EnV3. Also [FORCE] = [MASS] x [ACCELERATION] my friend. Glad to see nothing worse happened to you.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

You will get hit with lil m&m sized pebbles from time to time you follow a " work" truck... I try to avoid certain trucks and cars to reduce my potential hazards... And Michigan roads are some of the worst I have seen... As. Rider you will learn this stuff on the fly...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
You will get hit with lil m&m sized pebbles from time to time you follow a " work" truck... I try to avoid certain trucks and cars to reduce my potential hazards... And Michigan roads are some of the worst I have seen... As. Rider you will learn this stuff on the fly...
Lol, I had what was probably a very small pepple hit me in the face shield. I don't even think it made a mark, but it certainly was memorable. Just the noise and the split second of WTF?.  
Staying away from certain trucks is really good advice, and I try not to follow ANYTHING too close so I have time to react. Not that it helped me all that much with the object that hit me this time, but maybe next time I'll see that road gator in time to swerve etc..

Databyter

Databyter

Archived