The MT-07 Forum

Cyclops LED Light Question

noname

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator
Received my Cyclop kit yesterday.   
What instuctions should we follow to install the kit?
I looked on their site, not sure what is the best documentation to use??

There's a series of PDFs here (http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/instructions-manuals.html) but nothing that would mimimc an instalation on an FZ07...  :-(

Plug and play mostly
remove headlamp assembly, then replace bulb
the retainer clip and finding a location for the module are probably the hardeat portions of the project.

above in this thread there are links for other install threads

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Ah ok... :-( .... I must be missing something... so the little electric box will sit outside the light assembly? Exposed to rain? Not reassuring.

I just reread the entire thread. I don't see any "install threads", just very informative pics of before and after shots.
I'm simply struggling with the idea of replacing a simple halogen bulb with another led bulb with associated electrical modules and wiring inside the light box? Won't that affect the reflector?

bmwpowere36m3

It's literally plug 'n play... the only bit of MacGyvering you need to do, is mounting the module somewhere and possibly cutting the rubber boot (search the threads). Many have simply used double-sided tape or velcro to attach it behind the plastic headlight shroud. Its sealed... so don't worry about rain.

They don't include detailed instructions, because the bulb is not specific to any vehicle (H4s are used in MANY applications).

• Global Moderator
I never had to cut the rubber boot.
You dont necessarily have to, but it does make install slightly easier

AlbatrossCafe
I just reread the entire thread. I don't see any "install threads", just very informative pics of before and after shots. I'm simply struggling with the idea of replacing a simple halogen bulb with another led bulb with associated electrical modules and wiring inside the light box? Won't that affect the reflector?

I coulda sworn I worked off an "install thread" on here when I installed mine, but I can't find it either. 
Yes your LED bulb goes into the same place as the Halogen H4. Cyclops has done their best to try to mimic H4 functionality so that it works in the stock reflector, but you will find that the light beam is not really like the typical H4 bulb. I had to adjust the height & left/right of the beam a pretty good amount after my install. You somewhat lose your "high-beam" and "low-beam" with the LED as the angle of your beam does not change much between the two while using the stock reflector. You will see what I mean after the install.

As far as waterproofing goes, I ran the cyclops for about 5000 miles, and I would estimate that over 4000/5000 of those were in light or heavy rain (RIP Seattle, WA winter). I didn't do any extra sealing or anything with the little module and I had no problems.

In regards to the rubber boot, I cut the very inner "ring" of mine to allow the fan to fit more easily. If you mess up terribly somehow or decide you don't like it, a new one is about $5.50 + shipping so I wouldn't sweat it.

I eventually got rid of the cyclops because I didn't like how high-beam/low-beam didn't point "up" and "down" like a traditional h4 bulb. High-beam just seemed to make it brighter and filled in the top & bottom of the beam just a bit. If I adjusted the light angle high enough to be able to see well at night, I would blind other drivers. If I put it low enough to not blind anyone, it was not better than a regular H4 light to me. A lot of people still love it though. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you!

• Global Moderator
I just reread the entire thread. I don't see any "install threads", just very informative pics of before and after shots. I'm simply struggling with the idea of replacing a simple halogen bulb with another led bulb with associated electrical modules and wiring inside the light box? Won't that affect the reflector?

I coulda sworn I worked off an "install thread" on here when I installed mine, but I can't find it either. 
Yes your LED bulb goes into the same place as the Halogen H4. Cyclops has done their best to try to mimic H4 functionality so that it works in the stock reflector, but you will find that the light beam is not really like the typical H4 bulb. I had to adjust the height & left/right of the beam a pretty good amount after my install. You somewhat lose your "high-beam" and "low-beam" with the LED as the angle of your beam does not change much between the two while using the stock reflector. You will see what I mean after the install.

As far as waterproofing goes, I ran the cyclops for about 5000 miles, and I would estimate that over 4000/5000 of those were in light or heavy rain (RIP Seattle, WA winter). I didn't do any extra sealing or anything with the little module and I had no problems.

In regards to the rubber boot, I cut the very inner "ring" of mine to allow the fan to fit more easily. If you mess up terribly somehow or decide you don't like it, a new one is about $5.50 + shipping so I wouldn't sweat it.

I eventually got rid of the cyclops because I didn't like how high-beam/low-beam didn't point "up" and "down" like a traditional h4 bulb. High-beam just seemed to make it brighter and filled in the top & bottom of the beam just a bit. If I adjusted the light angle high enough to be able to see well at night, I would blind other drivers. If I put it low enough to not blind anyone, it was not better than a regular H4 light to me. A lot of people still love it though. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you!

I couldve sworn you and @foosnchickens both had install threads

Thanks guys for the additional info, I will give it a try.
And clarifying that there are no "how-to" links as well ;-)

• 2 months later...

We have made some major changes in the 3800 Lumen H4 ist the bulbs are now smaller for an easier fit. The gen 6 bulb is by far the best bulb we have ever offered.
We still include the spacers for fine tuning but also made a change to the optics on the bulb. it has high and low with a cutoff line very much like a halogen bulb. We appreciate your feedback and patronage.

We have made some major changes in the 3800 Lumen H4 ist the bulbs are now smaller for an easier fit. The gen 6 bulb is by far the best bulb we have ever offered. We still include the spacers for fine tuning but also made a change to the optics on the bulb. it has high and low with a cutoff line very much like a halogen bulb. We appreciate your feedback and patronage.

Just ordered mine.  Hope to get a speedy delivery!! 
So to be clear, the discount is 5% not 10% using the FZ-07 code.  Hopefully the mod can change it to 5% on your vendors page or you can offer the 10% like it says?

Archived