The MT-07 Forum

Cyclops LED Light Question

noname

The only problem with rubber o-rings is they compression set after a while. Cyclops includes "spacers", a 1/16"and 1/8" thick. Basically you could cut them from a cereal box, same weight paper/cardboard.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only dilemma is Trix or Cocoa Puffs :P

The only problem with rubber o-rings is they compression set after a while. Cyclops includes "spacers", a 1/16"and 1/8" thick. Basically you could cut them from a cereal box, same weight paper/cardboard.

Only dilemma is Trix or Cocoa Puffs :P 

Yes, Trix, the cereal. Not the pole dancer. Gotcha.

Beemer

@cyclops Would you be able to provide specifics?  I don't mind the $5  but just to be expedient and DIY, seems like an easy fix.
I sent them an email asking for the dimensions. You can get 100 orings on Amazon for $5.

Response from cyclops:
"They are 7/8 inside dia 1.025 outside diam. fiber washers. you may be able to find them in a pluming dept of a good hardware store .062 and .125 thick.
Regards"

Cool ... thanks!

Response from cyclops: "They are 7/8 inside dia 1.025 outside diam. fiber washers. you may be able to find them in a pluming dept of a good hardware store .062 and .125 thick.
Regards"

I found some Orings that worked perfectly as spacers, gets rid of the dead spot entirely. It was a pack of 10 so I've got plenty of extras if anyone wants one - shipping will definitely NOT be $5 for a letter envelope...

• 1 month later...
I'm sure they're really nice folks, no one is arguing that. They bent over backwards to replace my defective unit back when they first released these earlier this year. 
The problem is that a precedent was set, and then reneged on. If they had simply listed these on their site for $5 or whatever, I'm sure nobody would have a problem. But the fact they were giving them out for free to people who previously bought the lights and are now charging for them is a real tacky move on their part.

I'm not saying this to get them dumped as a sponsor or stir up the internet hate wagon, just to let others know who stumble into this thread that the earlier posts are no longer valid and to expect to pay for this previously free fix.

I have not been on here for some time. sorry about that. I remember Sandra mentioning this to me when I was doing an event out of state, I didn't pay it much attention at that time. But now that I see this I'm a little pissed off. The fact is that we NEVER offered to send anyone in a public forum the shims free of charge. I don't know where you got that info that we would? We did not Renege on anything. We did offer the shims free but Always had riders pay the shipping cost. My god man, this is a business, I would like to stay in business, and continue to offer great products and solutions.   It would be nice if people really knew what they where talking about prior to bashing companies and others on line.
 May 

I found some Orings that worked perfectly as spacers, gets rid of the dead spot entirely. It was a pack of 10 so I've got plenty of extras if anyone wants one - shipping will definitely NOT be $5 for a letter envelope...
Im glad you found a solution.The freight cost is not the only cost associated with getting something out the door. We do appreciate your business. 

fooschnickens
I'm sure they're really nice folks, no one is arguing that. They bent over backwards to replace my defective unit back when they first released these earlier this year. 
The problem is that a precedent was set, and then reneged on. If they had simply listed these on their site for $5 or whatever, I'm sure nobody would have a problem. But the fact they were giving them out for free to people who previously bought the lights and are now charging for them is a real tacky move on their part.

I'm not saying this to get them dumped as a sponsor or stir up the internet hate wagon, just to let others know who stumble into this thread that the earlier posts are no longer valid and to expect to pay for this previously free fix.

I have not been on here for some time. sorry about that. I remember Sandra mentioning this to me when I was doing an event out of state, I didn't pay it much attention at that time. But now that I see this I'm a little pissed off. The fact is that we NEVER offered to send anyone in a public forum the shims free of charge. I don't know where you got that info that we would? We did not Renege on anything. We did offer the shims free but Always had riders pay the shipping cost. My god man, this is a business, I would like to stay in business, and continue to offer great products and solutions.   It would be nice if people really knew what they where talking about prior to bashing companies and others on line.
 May 
I was working off what I had read for myself, you can see it for yourself on the first page of this thread:

Thanks,  bmwp, I read that forum just this morning and it did have plenty of info and good images of light output with spacers, but on the DRZ.

Follow up: I called CYCLOPS, 
great customer service, I explained I had installed my LED back in April, they asked for my invoice # and they said, No Problem we will get these spacers out to you today no charge,
now that's the way to do business!

So if you want to point your ire at anyone, perhaps do it at the person who initially posted that information, not the person who was led astray by it, thanks.

May 
I was working off what I had read for myself, you can see it for yourself on the first page of this thread: 

Thanks,  bmwp, I read that forum just this morning and it did have plenty of info and good images of light output with spacers, but on the DRZ.

Follow up: I called CYCLOPS, 
great customer service, I explained I had installed my LED back in April, they asked for my invoice # and they said, No Problem we will get these spacers out to you today no charge,
now that's the way to do business!

So if you want to point your ire at anyone, perhaps do it at the person who initially posted that information, not the person who was led astray by it, thanks.
 I appreciate that, now I understand where the comments came from. That's info from someone who called in, Not anything we posted in a public forum. Your original negative comments where unjust and not taken from the horses mouth. We often go above and beyond with customer service, Its just what we do.     Things like this are why most companies will not participate in forums. It has us rethinking our involvement in what we have always viewed as a positive interaction between the company and valued riders.

I appreciate that, now I understand where the comments came from. That's info from someone who called in, Not anything we posted in a public forum. Your original negative comments where unjust and not taken from the horses mouth. We often go above and beyond with customer service, Its just what we do.     Things like this are why most companies will not participate in forums. It has us rethinking our involvement in what we have always viewed as a positive interaction between the company and valued riders.

Wow, that would be a shame. Like it or not the forums are the place where I find all the items I never knew I couldn't live without.  I went back and edited my earlier post, hope this helps.

• Global Moderator

I did not know about the Cyclops product until it showed up on the forum. It is probably the best mod I have done to my bike (well maybe getting rid of the pumpkin turn signals was the best, but it was definitely the best safety related upgrade). The product is fantastic and the customer service has been great. I ordered the spacers after hearing about them here and they were in my mailbox two days later (I only live about 100 miles away from them).

• 3 months later...

So , IN A NUTSHELL, the MT(FZ)07 needs the 1/8" spacer to focus correctly with the latest 3800lumen hi/lo led to get the correct low beam cutoff/ Correct?

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

AlbatrossCafe
So , IN A NUTSHELL, the MT(FZ)07 needs the 1/8" spacer to focus correctly with the latest 3800lumen hi/lo led to get the correct low beam cutoff/ Correct?
That is correct. I took out my Cyclops and put back a regular bulb because of this. The spacer helps, but the cutoff is still not very good. And the low/high beam doesn't change the beam angle very much, it just makes it more intense. 
If you get a "perfect" low-beam cutoff, you will find you can't get a decent hi-beam, since the angle of the light doesn't change between low/high. If you get a perfect hi-beam angle, you will find you are blinding other drivers. I had mine in a middle-ground for a bit but it didn't shine very far down the road on high-beam and I couldn't see right in front of my bike on low-beam. It was too frustrating for me.

Even with the spacer, I found the scatter was too bright for other drivers. When I had my dad ride it I couldn't believe how difficult it was to look at. I'm glad to have it out now.

Right here is what should be the definitive Cyclops post.
I had a 3600lumen bulb in it and mucked around for a while trying to get it to cutoff properly before giving up and putting a HID in that I had. There are varying reports about the success or otherwise of the 3800lumen bulb instal. So I bought the latest one. Arrived Monday. Quite different emmitters from the 3600 and different setup. 3600 uses 3emmitters, 2low and 1 EXTRA as high. 3800 has MUCH smaller emitters two for low and 2 more EXTRA for high.
So to get some idea of actual patterns I setup a focus board ( at 5m with appropiate relative droop). These are the 2 black bands that can be seen on the focus board. The camera is set on AUTO exposure to compare patterns NOT relative light amounts as the camera will adjust to give the same light at the centre of metering. I made an aluminium ring as a spacer as I wasn't overly loving the cardboard one. The Al one will be more rigid and transfer a bit more heat and not be effected by any water that may stray. It is 3mm thick NOT 1/8" as I checked the cardboard one when compressed and it was closer to 3mm.
Here Are the results.

HID LOW
1HID%20LOW.jpg

HID HIGH
2HID%20HIGH.jpg

3800lumen LED low stock

3LED%20LOW%20STD.jpg

3800LED high stock

4LED%20HIGH%20STD.jpg

3800LED LOW 3mm spaced

5LED%20LOW%20EIGHTH.jpg

3800 LED HIGH 3mm spaced

6LED%20HIGH%20EIGHTH.jpg

The spacing definitely appears to be successful BUT!!!!! I have yet to try it on the highway. I will do that as soon as possible. To be honest I wasn't that overwhelmed by the HID, stock bulb nor a 100%plus QI. But initial looking ate the light pattern has me hopeful

Here are the results

• Premium Member

So @gregjet thanks for the scientific analysis! Well done. My takeaway is this: the stock 3800 LED in low beam is perfectly fine (for me), but others may be er, um "particular" ("anal" can be an ugly word :))  ) about the fact that it doesn't throw light in perfectly straight lines -- but that is easily solved with a 3mm spacer/shim (that I would be interested in seeing where exactly it goes because I bought my LED back in pre-spacer time last summer)

• Global Moderator

I put the larger spacer in mine and it made a big difference. I liked it before, but it was way better after.

How much larger. As you can see from the above the 3mm gives pretty close to required. I did try with the thin cardboard as well as the Al one but it flares a bit more on low beam. Possible that is too far though.
Interestingly the 3600 needed adjusting in the opposite direction ( ie with the emitters furthur into the housing).
So11***,
 The spacer goes between the plastic of the led base housing and the metal H4 locator. The supplied screws are only just long enough so be careful screwing it on. Now I know it is right and once I have confirmed that it it ok on the highway I will shoo goo it to secure it permanently.
Sorry I didn't take a pic.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the cyclops site. Mine is different from everyone else as I have customized the mounts for the light assembly.

So @gregjet thanks for the scientific analysis! Well done. My takeaway is this: the stock 3800 LED in low beam is perfectly fine (for me), but others may be er, um "particular" ("anal" can be an ugly word :))  ) about the fact that it doesn't throw light in perfectly straight lines -- but that is easily solved with a 3mm spacer/shim (that I would be interested in seeing where exactly it goes because I bought my LED back in pre-spacer time last summer)
Agreed, even though the light pattern isn't as crisp the difference in light output between the stock bulb and the original (no spacer) Cyclops bulb is substantial. I can see the differences the spacer makes but to my eye it appears it focuses more light toward the center which makes it dimmer toward the sides but I don't hear anyone complaining about that, go figure. I got the older, non-spacer Cyclops myself and I like the sides of the road being lit up more in case an animal, etc, decides to jump out in front of me I can spot it faster with more light on it. For me, the amount of light at the center of the beam on a non-space Cyclops is an improvement over the stock bulb and is bright enough to illuminate things on the road at distance. 3800 lumens can't be all bad.

Beemer

I agree with you about the spread, but remember as I said at the start of that post , the shots were taken on auto exposure. The light focused appears in the photo to illuminate the side about the same as the HID ( remember it's a HID so it is way brighter than even the +100 QI I used to run). BUT the actual metered area is significantly brighter than the HID in real terms so the bit that appears to be the same in actually brighter as the camera has adjusted.
Still light pattern is a very personal thing. Many variables determine the pattern anybody prefers. I am still waiting for it to stop raining to get out and check the new setup, so I may end up agreeing with you yet. What I do know is the 3600lumen pattern on the highway , no matter how adjusted, was useless. The HID was better but a green light that I don't like much. I now have hopes for the new 3800 adjusted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was out the other night so grabbed the Go Pro and did a short video with the Cyclops LED Headlight. The video is a pretty good representation of the light output, its maybe just a little brighter in person,

Very happy with the kit, Very easy to install even a novice cant go wrong. As you see in the video Dipped beam the bulb isn't scattered everywhere it has a nice clean cut-off line (isn't dazzling oncoming road users) High beam is plenty bright as well.

Archived