The MT-07 Forum

Cyclops LED Light Question

noname

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
What did you all do with the big rubber gasket that sealed the oe bulb in the housing?
I carefully cut out the center portion to make the hole bigger. It seems to be the same size as the fan housing.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Good timing on this thread, I have my cyclops headlight on the way now. I remember seeing something on the site about them now coming with the spacers when I ordered mine.

fivefootthree

How did you install the spacers? I cant seem to get the 2 small screws removed. I feel like I will strip the heads before they let loose.

Edit: Nvm I got it.

Thanks,  bmwp, I read that forum just this morning and it did have plenty of info and good images of light output with spacers, but on the DRZ.

Follow up: I called CYCLOPS, 
great customer service, I explained I had installed my LED back in April, they asked for my invoice # and they said, No Problem we will get these spacers out to you today no charge,
now that's the way to do business!

I sent them a PM on here about the spacer. No response yet but we will see.

bmwpowere36m3
Thanks,  bmwp, I read that forum just this morning and it did have plenty of info and good images of light output with spacers, but on the DRZ.

Follow up: I called CYCLOPS, 
great customer service, I explained I had installed my LED back in April, they asked for my invoice # and they said, No Problem we will get these spacers out to you today no charge,
now that's the way to do business!

Just call them, they sent me a pair.

Yes, call them as I did. They sent me out a set in the mail very quickly, look back a few posts!

• 2 weeks later...
fooschnickens

Oh cool, I'll give them a ring tomorrow. This is the first I've heard about the spacers, good to see that such a simple fix solves a lot of the beam pattern issues.

Well apparently they're charging for them now. Went back and forth with the lady there on the phone and ended up shelling out 5 bucks for them.

Kinda miffed since they seemed eager to do good for previous customers based on the earlier posts in this thread. So I guess anyone wanting to get a set from here on out should expect to pay for them. :\\

Well apparently they're charging for them now. Went back and forth with the lady there on the phone and ended up shelling out 5 bucks for them. 
Kinda miffed since they seemed eager to do good for previous customers based on the earlier posts in this thread. So I guess anyone wanting to get a set from here on out should expect to pay for them. :\\

@cyclops still hasn't replied to my PM. They add a piece of cardboard to fix an issue with their bulbs. Charge previous customers to get the fix while still charging the same for the new purchases. Great customer service from a supporting vendor.

Guys, this has got to be some kind of mistake, because the family that owns Cyclops are some of the nicest and most genuine folks in the business.

@cndnmax Call or send a real email to Cyclops. These vendors are too busy to spend much time on the forums. I promise that they dont even know that yo PM'd them as they work 60-70 hors per week in the shop.

I will get ahold of them and send em a link to this thread.

@fooschnickens $5.00 is pretty cheap and I doubt they are are getting rich off that. Their light prices are ridiculously low to begin with, in fact when they came on board I advised him to raise his prices.

Someone has to pay for those rings. and nobody goes into business to lose money.

I keep an eye on supporting Vendors and do my best to only bring on those companies that are committed to you the members. Trust me, you would be surprised the crazy money I have turned down from companies that I don't care for. I also wouldn't hesitate to dump a Supporting Vendor who isn't worthy of your business.

But I'd need more evidence than stated above with Cyclops because they are just salt of the earth friendly people to do business with.

It seems really weird for them to be charging for these. They are seriously little pieces of cardboard rings.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the lights. These spacers are just included to refine the beam in different reflective housings. I bet 95% of the people don't use them as they aren't needed. All reflective housings are different.

You will never get a perfect beam pattern when you increase the light output past what the reflector is tested and designed for. The only way to get a perfect beam pattern is to get a projector retrofit.

I would imagine the cardboard spacers are being charged at $5 for the cost to mail them out.

If I didn't mention this in the post original post I don't think anyone would be using them at all honestly.

I'm sure they're really nice folks, no one is arguing that. They bent over backwards to replace my defective unit back when they first released these earlier this year.

The problem is that a precedent was set, and then reneged on. If they had simply listed these on their site for $5 or whatever, I'm sure nobody would have a problem. But the fact they were giving them out for free to people who previously bought the lights and are now charging for them is a real tacky move on their part.

I'm not saying this to get them dumped as a sponsor or stir up the internet hate wagon, just to let others know who stumble into this thread that the earlier posts are no longer valid and to expect to pay for this previously free fix.

Of course they are charging for them. The word is out and everyone wants version 2.0 that is currently shipping. There are only so many 1.0 versions they can upgrade to 2.0 for free before they start feeling it financially. It's not the cardboard that costs $5, it's the postage and man hours to box and ship them.

Hi Everyone,I was very disappointed to hear fooschnickens comment on being charged $5. And yes, at first we did offer them totally free including shipping but do to the overwhelming response, we were spending a lot of time addressing & stuffing envelopes and having to pay the extra postage because of the thickness. So the rings are still free however I do need to cover my cost of the small box & postage. Many customers have ordered and we have gotten no complaints about the $5 until fooschnickens placed his order. My husband and I have been in business since 2003 and customer satisfaction has always been our [HASH]1 priority here @ Cyclops. We get rave reviews from thousands of customers a year. but I guess that Unfortunately, there will always be a few that are not happy. And thank you Cruizn & RobMoore for your understanding of how a business works.Have a great weekend everyone!Sandra@cyclopsadventuresports.com

Hi Everyone,I was very disappointed to hear fooschnickens comment on being charged $5. And yes, at first we did offer them totally free including shipping but do to the overwhelming response, we were spending a lot of time addressing & stuffing envelopes and having to pay the extra postage because of the thickness. So the rings are still free however I do need to cover my cost of the small box & postage. Many customers have ordered and we have gotten no complaints about the $5 until fooschnickens placed his order. My husband and I have been in business since 2003 and customer satisfaction has always been our [HASH]1 priority here @ Cyclops. We get rave reviews from thousands of customers a year. but I guess that Unfortunately, there will always be a few that are not happy. And thank you Cruizn & RobMoore for your understanding of how a business works.Have a great weekend everyone!Sandra@cyclopsadventuresports.com

Thanks Sandra. We all understand that you guys need to pay for the time, materials and shipping.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know. Glad you guys are a sponsor of the forums!

Is there a simple washer or something we can use to accomplish this same thing?

I would think so. Someone that gets one just needs to measure the ID and the width.

@cyclops Would you be able to provide specifics?  I don't mind the $5  but just to be expedient and DIY, seems like an easy fix.

Is there a simple washer or something we can use to accomplish this same thing?
I would think so. Someone that gets one just needs to measure the ID and the width.

I just used a rubber o-ring (1/8 width).  This solution was linked to from another forum earlier in the thread.  It was also mentioned earlier in this thread that the spacers come in 1/8 and 1/16 widths.  As far as the I.D. goes, I cant really help too much with that.  I took the piece to work and grabbed an o-ring from a mixed lot of sizes so I do not have exact O.D./I.D. dimensions for what I have. 
I'm sure taking it apart and bringing with to a hardware store to size up wouldn't be too difficult if a DIY/ the o-ring method route is taken.  Whether you use cardboard or an o-ring 1/8 is 1/8.

@cyclops Would you be able to provide specifics?  I don't mind the $5  but just to be expedient and DIY, seems like an easy fix.

I sent them an email asking for the dimensions.
You can get 100 orings on Amazon for $5.

@fivefootthree does the spacer actually make a difference that's worth the effort?
Honestly, at the moment I cannot say.  I did the mod and then took a few things off the bike and haven't ridden since.  Pointing it at the back wall in my garage from fairly close up, it definitely looks more focused.  There are a few images in this thread and the forum the o-ring method came from that do show a much better/ focused beam, but I have very limited first hand experience with this at the moment. 
As far as the amount of effort goes, even if it makes it a tiny bit better I'd say is worth the effort.  Very quick to add the spacer/ o-ring.  Assuming you have a screwdriver that fits and has a large grip.  The micro screwdrivers I was trying with couldn't generate enough torque to break the screws loose, and I was on the verge of stripping the heads.

Archived