The MT-07 Forum

Cyclops LED Light Question

noname

I just received my light today and I am very excited to get this installed. I did have a quick question before I go about doing this.

Did any of you that have installed the light use the provided optional spacers to fix the beam pattern? I received 2 cardboard like spacers in my packaging and was wondering if any of you needed to utilize them.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

I don't think I received any spacers in mine. Nonetheless I don't have any problem with the beam pattern. Honestly, I didn't even need to change the angle of the light.

I know what you are referring to but if I had got them with my bulb I would remember and they would be installed. As someone else said, it must be a new thing and why, I don't know. If you find out that they make some kind of improvement please let me/us know. I, myself, would like to talk to the peeps at Cyclops to see if I can get some for mine. Thanks for the heads up on them! Communication is the way!

Beemer

I am not sure they would make a drastic difference as the spacers are extremely small. I believe they are for micro adjustments possibly to focus the beam more intensely on a certain part of the reflector within the headlight housing. Seeing pictures from other members lights, I don't think they are necessary as the beam pattern seems pretty good as is. Since this is a generic H4 kit, it may be that some other motorcycles would be in need of something like this.

bmwpowere36m3

The spacers are to adjust the cut-off, i.e., to have less light thrown over the cut-off. Some members have complained that the cut-off with the LED isn't as crisp as the stock halogen H4. I know guys on the TT forum have used o-rings with success.

It's a new "feature" included with the Cyclops bulbs.

Hey there,bmwp 
thanks for the info, just wondering where the spacers actually fit and how effective are the spacers
at fine tuning the light output on the FZ? 

Im actually calling Cyclops customer support now, but I'm on EST and have to wait another few hours for them!

I am not sure how they work, as I haven't installed the light yet I am going to assume the difference will be minimal on our bikes as plenty of people have had great luck wi Hour using them. The spacers fit between the bulb and the headlight to effectively move the bulb further out within the headlight housing.

Thanks,  bmwp,
I read that forum just this morning and it did have plenty of info and good images of light output with spacers, but on the DRZ.

Follow up: I called CYCLOPS, 
great customer service, I explained I had installed my LED back in April, they asked for my invoice # and they said, No Problem we will get these spacers out to you today.

fivefootthree

Could someone post a pic of these spacers? I installed my bulb about a month ago now and i don't remember there being any "cardboard like" spacers. I do remember there being a white/clear o-ring that was between the bulb module and plate that attached to the headlight unit. I figured this was to provide a positive seal for where the 2 locked together, and it was pre-installed. I might pull the bulb tonight to check it out.

Hey 5'3,
If I had them I would post a pic of them and I didn't see them on Cyclops site.  
If my spacers arrive soon and there is no pic then I will be happy to post a pic.

fivefootthree

Awesome, thanks. I pulled the bulb to check it and do something else and found no spacers, just that o ring I mentioned. After looking at the images from TT regarding the placement of the o-ring for the "o-ring mod" the clear o-ring that came with the bulb is not the same.

That pic is the after! 
I didn't bother to take a pic of the before spacer install, I think we have all seen what the void was like in the center.

Was this with the bigger spacer or the smaller spacer? 
Thanks for showing us!

Not a problem,
I used the larger/ wider spacer 1/8". I was actually thinking of removing the LED but that spacer fixed / filled the center void. It now is a much better light.

That is so awesome. I wonder why they made them out of cardboard. Is there a reason these couldn't be made out of plastic or even a metal spacer?

That is so awesome. I wonder why they made them out of cardboard. Is there a reason these couldn't be made out of plastic or even a metal spacer?
I couldn't speak on behalf of CYclops A, but probably a cost effective measure. However the guys on TT site had great info and they used plastic O-Rings on their set up before they called Cyclops.  Not sure, just happy as hell it fixed the problem. 

Archived