The MT-07 Forum

How long will this bike last?

botbullet0

• Premium Member

Your question is about like asking, "How long is a line?" Far tooooo many variables involved to give a sensible answer. The cheapest item can be made to "last" indefinitely and the best destroyed instantly... and, everything in between. Take care of your things and enjoy them, your bike or whatever... and, all the best!

• 3 years later...

Whats up guys new to this forum.. just want to ask you guys a few things get your input on the  fz07/mt07. 

I have been wanting this bike for awhile now.. well over 2 yrs. Its almost about time for me to FINALLY get a bike.. ive been searching for a decent used one for about the same time ive been wanting this bike.

Now recently ive seen one going for alot less than the others die to high milage.

2015 fz07 with  34,188 miles on it, going for 3,752... is it worth it??  Also the bike is over 1,500 miles away so id most likely be picking it up.

If i have it shipped its probably 500 maybe more.

If i drive probably looking at 600 in gas maybe alil more because of the weight on the way back.. 

Is it worth it??? 

One last thing.. yes ive been dreaming of a fz/mt07 for awhile now.. but i did find a Fz8 for 4G... 600 miles away.. 

Im not new to riding.. new to street.. riding dirt since i was 6 and im 30 now... yes this is my first steet bike. 

I know i have the responsability to ride safe when i have to and get used to the bike regardless what bike i get.. just wondering what you guys think.. 

My bad i have been thinking about this for awhile now. Thanks for reading this and responding if you choose to i greatly appreciate it. 

Ride safe keep braapppin!!!

1 hour ago, PunisherFz8 said:

Whats up guys new to this forum.. just want to ask you guys a few things get your input on the  fz07/mt07. 

I have been wanting this bike for awhile now.. well over 2 yrs. Its almost about time for me to FINALLY get a bike.. ive been searching for a decent used one for about the same time ive been wanting this bike.

Now recently ive seen one going for alot less than the others die to high milage.

2015 fz07 with  34,188 miles on it, going for 3,752... is it worth it??  Also the bike is over 1,500 miles away so id most likely be picking it up.

If i have it shipped its probably 500 maybe more.

If i drive probably looking at 600 in gas maybe alil more because of the weight on the way back.. 

Is it worth it??? 

One last thing.. yes ive been dreaming of a fz/mt07 for awhile now.. but i did find a Fz8 for 4G... 600 miles away.. 

Im not new to riding.. new to street.. riding dirt since i was 6 and im 30 now... yes this is my first steet bike. 

I know i have the responsability to ride safe when i have to and get used to the bike regardless what bike i get.. just wondering what you guys think.. 

My bad i have been thinking about this for awhile now. Thanks for reading this and responding if you choose to i greatly appreciate it. 

Ride safe keep braapppin!!!

If it were me I would wait just a bit longer to find one closer. You would be losing any savings by buying a bike so far away, especially with that high of miles. By the time you add up your time and fuel and food costs, your budget just went up to $4500. You can get a closer bike with fewer miles and save yourself a ton of time.

Yamaha seems  to have developed a reputation for reliablity and quality for its bikes. I had a TDM 900 and on its forum TDMs seem to be going on forever. The MT-07 has not been around long enough to really test longevity but a higher than average mileage by itself would not put me off.

Just do it! 

I've put a little over 10,000 miles on my FZ-07 in 8 months of riding it. Never skips a beat. I think I saw a post on here a few months back of someone with close to or over 100,000 miles on their '15 FZ-07.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

My vfr800 (in probably a slightly higher state of tune) has 97k miles...its just broken in, gets 42mpg and doesnt burn oil...I expect the Yamaha motor will do that at least, if maintained.

• 1 month later...

wow, old post.  I've personally put 60 to 90k miles on three bikes. No problems with them, They were traded for new bikes.

You have to look at touring or sport touring forums to see the big mileage bikes. 200 to 300k mileage bikes are out there, all without any engine work.

I'm saying as long as it's liquid cooled, with decent care, any bike can do 200k miles.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, peteinpa said:

wow, old post.  I've personally put 60 to 90k miles on three bikes. No problems with them, They were traded for new bikes.

You have to look at touring or sport touring forums to see the big mileage bikes. 200 to 300k mileage bikes are out there, all without any engine work.

I'm saying as long as it's liquid cooled, with decent care, any bike can do 200k miles.

Yup it's all about taking care of her. There was at least one rider I know of,  and I believe a few others who reported getting 100k miles out of Ninja 300s. That little engine has to work way harder than our 7's for sane riding. Also those bikes are made in Thailand as a cost saving measure, we got legit Japanese bikes.( I am not sure  that really makes a difference, but it gives me confidence for some reason.) 

Now that this thread has fresh air blown into it's lungs I want to say that when I was on a ride with DewMan the other day were ran into a guy on an old BMW. I pulled up beside the guy at the light and asked him what year it was and he said a '68. That would look something like this pic I posted, only painted a sand color. Think "Rat Patrol". (anyone remember that show? Wait, that was black & white, right?) He said in so many words that as long as you maintain it and ride it easy it can last indefinitely. 51 years so far for his bike. Does 51 years sound appealing to you? Hello?! Are you still here, botbullet0? (ha!)

BMW-R-68-10907_1.jpg

Beemer

My Simson S50 has her 43rd birthday this year. My grandfather used  her for his daily commute the whole year through, my father used her for his commuting  and now I still drive her to the company from time to time if the weather is nice. Learned basic maintenance knowledge with this, laying on the ground for days trying to fix the ignition in the summer of '96.  
Its all a matter of caring and new crankshafts, zylinders and pistons from time to time  ;)

Ok, to be honest, I don't think modern ECU controlled bikes will last this long. Mileage will not be the problem, but aging of electronic stuff.  But you can do a lot to keep it alive for decades and used parts are cheap an easily avaiable for MT/FZ 07

SimsonS50.thumb.jpg.3f4ddaa29a14e25c65f92095d68fc072.jpg

Archived