The MT-07 Forum

Oem lower sub cowl install

shogun88

Just purchased an oem belly pan from a former member here, Can't wait to install it. The install instructions are kinda sh!t I think I can follow them but anyone here have any experience with it? Tips trick anything will help.
A torque wrench is also required for a lot of the work. In the past I've just tightened everything without one. Do you guys use a torque wrench when required??

I use a torque wrench when required, but I can't comment on this particular install, because I don't have one. I am curious however, if you have an aftermarket exhaust or not. Do you? If so, what kind?

• Global Moderator

I would use a torque wrench. They are not very expensive and you do not want to over tighten something and break it or have a nut vibrate off because it was too loose.

I use a torque wrench when required, but I can't comment on this particular install, because I don't have one. I am curious however, if you have an aftermarket exhaust or not. Do you? If so, what kind?
I have a two brothers exhaust and i mother Fu@#en love it!  I have heard that the exhaust may interfere with the sub cowl but after doing a bit more research i think it should be fine.

I would use a torque wrench. They are not very expensive and you do not want to over tighten something and break it or have a nut vibrate off because it was too loose.
Good call!  ill just get one.  Thanks

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I have the Yamaha FZ-07 (OEM) lower sub cowl on my bike.  I was going to install it myself, but had it installed during the 600 mile service.  What I understand is you need to remove the exhaust system header bolts so you can lower the exhaust system.  This will enable you to have enough clearance to mount the lower sub cowl's brackets to the oil pan using the oil pan's bolts.  I have a stock exhaust system, but not sure if all aftermarket exhaust systems will work with the lower sub cowl. I believe the Akra Titanium exhaust system is ok. Another thing to consider is the exhaust header gaskets may need to be replaced if you have several thousand miles on those exhaust gaskets.  My bike was ok because it only had 600 miles on it. 

I have the Yamaha FZ-07 (OEM) lower sub cowl on my bike.  I was going to install it myself, but had it installed during the 600 mile service.  What I understand is you need to remove the exhaust system header bolts so you can lower the exhaust system.  This will enable you to have enough clearance to mount the lower sub cowl's brackets to the oil pan using the oil pan's bolts.  I have a stock exhaust system, but not sure if all aftermarket exhaust systems will work with the lower sub cowl. I believe the Akra Titanium exhaust system is ok. Another thing to consider is the exhaust header gaskets may need to be replaced if you have several thousand miles on those exhaust gaskets.  My bike was ok because it only had 600 miles on it. 
Ah-ha! This is what I was looking for. I have the Akrapovic Titanium and was curious if it would fit. I don't really like cowels because it gets ride of the "naked" look, but the OEM Yamaha one is actually the only one I like because it's not too invasive. So it may be on my list but I wanted to make sure it would fit.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Ah-ha! This is what I was looking for. I have the Akrapovic Titanium and was curious if it would fit. I don't really like cowels because it gets ride of the "naked" look, but the OEM Yamaha one is actually the only one I like because it's not too invasive. So it may be on my list but I wanted to make sure it would fit.
Forum member @pgeldz has the OEM lower sub cowl installed on his bike with the Akra Ti exhaust. He did these mods himself and would be a good source for tips. You can check the pictures of his bike on this forum to see how it looks.

• Premium Member
Forum member @pgeldz has the OEM lower sub cowl installed on his bike with the Akra Ti exhaust. He did these mods himself and would be a good source for tips. You can check the pictures of his bike on this forum to see how it looks.
Yes Allan, I have the official Yamaha lower sub cowl and it fits perfect!  You do have to take off the headers tho to get one of the lower cowl brackets installed, so it'd be a good idea to have a new set of exhaust gaskets handy.  You prob wouldn't really need new ones, but I'm "particular" like that, LOL. 
- Paulie

Yes Allan, I have the official Yamaha lower sub cowl and it fits perfect!  You do have to take off the headers tho to get one of the lower cowl brackets installed, so it'd be a good idea to have a new set of exhaust gaskets handy.  You prob wouldn't really need new ones, but I'm "particular" like that, LOL. 
- Paulie

Any tips for the install??
I heard that oil actually leaks out during the install.

Do I use a torque wrench when required? It depends. I don't like my wheels coming off so yeah, I torque them. 76 lbs. of pressure isn't easy to gauge and you don't want them too tight either or you may damage some bearings. If the manual says I need to torque something to 3 lbs. I pretty much know how much force is needed to apply 3 lbs. of pressure so I don't always mess with torquing, not everything is so critical. It's like when the manual says when checking the slack in your chain to apply 3 lbf. of pressure to it by 'pushing down' on it to 'set the chain slack right' they are basically telling you you need to gauge that by the seat of your pants so why not seat of the pants tightening on other things as well? I'm not telling you to do that, it's what I do, depending. If I have doubts I definitely torque. It seems you have doubts about this and plastic cracks easily.

Beemer

• Premium Member
- Paulie
Any tips for the install??
I heard that oil actually leaks out during the install.
I don't recall any oil leakage...

Did the install and it was pretty straight forward. The headers had to come down to get to the bolts on the oil pan. As I was loosening the nuts on the headers I realized that I could hand loosen them. Holly sh$t. I was at the dealer recently and I asked them to torque the header nuts for me and they said they did. What the hell!!!!
Looks like I'll be mentioning that in my Yamaha survey.
Other than that all smooth sailing. I didn't torque the oil pan bolts back in cause I didn't have a hex piece for the wrench. Sux. I did torque the header though. I'll have to check all the hardware in a couple weeks again just to make sure. Can't believe the headers were loose.

• Premium Member

Any decent front three-quarters pix of the OEM parts installed??? Or, did I miss them somewhere? Thanks.

• 11 months later...
  • Premium Member

I have a yoshimura full and as others have already mentioned you will need to loosen the headers to be able to slip the brackets and bolt in.
I didnt use loctite, or a torque wrench.

People are gonna frown on this, and this is just my personal experience, I would only use a torque wrench for the odd specific jobs but with every vehicle Ive always performed the basic stuff like this by feel with a standard socket/wrench, and in all my years have never found anything loose or stripped or cracked, lost a single bolt, screw, wheel, engine, passenger  ;)   and Ive always been able to loosen when necessary.

Pardon my rant here but one example of over-tighening is the absolutely ridiculous factory spec for the oil drain bolt. Its not the bloody space-shuttle. NO oil bolt ever needs to be that tight, EVER. I can only assume its a yamaha liability/warranty concern. I have always hand tightened followed by a good solid snug up with the socket wrench. Oil drips or bolts lost/loose in 25+ years? = 0

I just dont Hulkamania the crap out of things when tightening, especially something like this. If and when I use loctite I use the blue semi-permanent. Maybe Ive just had a very lengthy run of luck but I doubt it. 

Ultimately though, do whats best for your piece of mind, and if that means going by torque then by all means. Never hurts to do a occasional snug check or 'white glove' test for fluid leaks if you're unsure about something you've installed.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

I torque by feel, but I have experience wrenching. I broke a head stud years ago on a jet ski because the torque wrench used was faulty....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Archived